Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turnip and rapeseed into standing corn

I am somewhat new to food plots and I am looking for a little advice. I just gained permission from the farmer to plant some turnips and rapeseed into his standing corn. My questions are will they grow? When should I plant them and what rate should I seed them at? I am looking to do around an acre or so, possibly more. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hit or miss depending on canopy of corn (sun) & not quite as bad but dependent on residual herbicide. I walk through all my spots deer & coons wreck and lightly scatter bout 2-3 lbs radish & 1.5 lbs turnips. Find clean spots with sunlight & just scatter lightly and u will likely b fine. I doubt herbicides will be a big problem. If canopy is issue - if gets really late u can do winter rye. Later the calendar gets on brassicas - stager higher rates of radish as they mature faster.

I wouldn't spread winter rye unless u check with the farmer first. He may not want to deal with it in the spring.

I wouldn't spread winter rye unless u check with the farmer first. He may not want to deal with it in the spring.

The only issue I could see is if the farmer was no tilling next year, if they will be discing the field next spring cereal rye will only help the soil. I would lean towards cereal rye over brassicas when spreading into corn only because it can grow more once the corn is picked whereas brassicas would be too late.

I plan on broadcasting cereal rye into corn on our bottom ground, I've seen a lot of deer all winter feeding on rye.

I wish I could plant rye but he is a no-till farmer so I don't want to bother asking him. Brassicas are basically my only option. Unless you guys have other ideas for an annual that I could try.

Get some oats (can get feed oats from Theisens or a place like that). Scatter them the first week or two of September. They will stay green till at least the first hard frost. Easy to grow and cheap.

Bummer part is: rye is tremendous to no till beans into. So- if the farmer thinks through this- u would be doing him a favor. Rye kills very easy with herbicides and is great for weed suppression with no till beans going into them.

Bummer part is: rye is tremendous to no till beans into. So- if the farmer thinks through this- u would be doing him a favor. Rye kills very easy with herbicides and is great for weed suppression with no till beans going into them.

Careful with no till on rye, if you don't get rain the roots will suck the moisture out of ground like a sponge. Saw that first hand on 40 acres this year. I would recommend a light discing before you plant.

Top Bottom