Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Concealed Carry Course online?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys...
I'm very well versed in firearms and very well versed in law, defense, iowa's laws on home invasion (not like Castle-doctrine which we don't have & I suppose conceal carry is irrelevant here any way), etc. In my case, I personally feel ok doing the online course. What's the basics of finding a VALID online course and is there any steps in process I should be made aware of? Some courses not accepted or some more expensive than needed? Any help on getting permit appreciated, thanks!

10-8 Firearm Instruction. Has a Facebook page to follow. I had a few questions for the guy and he responded quickly.

Wrong! Plus, you have to take it & renew less than 30 days PRIOR to the time your current permit expires. No "grace" period like a drivers license!

This is wrong. If you want to renew, you have to do it more than 30 days before your permit expires and can use your "first time class certification". If you are within that 30 days, you are required to have the renewal class. If you just let expire, you can use your old certification from your first class to re-up.

Renew using first certification:
- More than 30 days from expiration
- Let their permit expire

Renew with renewal course:
- Within 30 days of expiration.

I took the 10-8 class for my renewal, $15. Very informative about Iowa laws that were never covered in my 1st class. Learned a lot.

Wrong! Plus, you have to take it & renew less than 30 days PRIOR to the time your current permit expires. No "grace" period like a drivers license!

Well I guess you better go school the lady at the sheriff's office. I'm inclined to think she knows what she is talking about and knows the rules.

Last edited:
RENEWALS
QUESTION: I have a Nonprofessional Permit to Carry Weapons that will be expiring in the next 12 months. What
do I need to do to renew the permit?

ANSWER: Iowa law specifies that an application to renew a permit must be submitted AT LEAST 30 days prior to
the expiration of the current permit. An application submitted LESS THAN 30 days prior to the expiration of the
current permit, or after the permit expires, cannot be accepted as a “renewal” application. Instead, it would need
to be submitted and processed as a “new” application, which carries a higher fee.

QUESTION: Do I need to complete another training course to renew my Nonprofessional Permit to Carry
Weapons?

ANSWER: Iowa law specifies that to renew a Permit to Carry Weapons, a person must complete any of the
acceptable forms of training, OR, at the discretion of the applicant, the applicant may instead choose to qualify
on a range under the supervision of a certified instructor. Iowa law does not prescribe a particular course of fire,
so the instructor determines what constitutes qualification. The completion of another training course OR
qualification on a range must occur within the 12 months prior to the expiration of the current permit. Since an application for a renewal must be submitted AT LEAST 30 days prior to the expiration of the current permit, this
effectively leaves an 11 month window in which a person must complete training OR qualify on a range.

QUESTION: What happens if I do not submit my application for renewal AT LEAST 30 days prior to the
expiration of the current permit?

ANSWER: If a person waits until LESS THAN 30 days prior to the expiration of the current permit, or after the
permit expires, the application will need to be submitted and processed as a “new” application. In such case, a
person would be required to submit proof of training. There is no timeframe specified for when the training must
have occurred. A person who misses the “renewal” window and files an application as a “new” application
cannot present proof of qualification on a range to satisfy the training requirement, unless qualification is part of
a training course. In other words, the option to simply qualify without completing a training course is ONLY
available to those who are renewing a permit.

got to www.carryiowa.com this is where i took mine as like you i am well versed in firearms...you register, pay 30$, watch a 50 minute video and take a 20 question test and thats it...easiest thing in the world, then you just take your certificate to the sheriffs dept and get your permit...its literally that easy.......but this class is no recommended for people who knowing nothing or who have never fired a weapon

If you are prior military, just need to take in your DD214 to the sheriffs office to obtain a cc permit.

Top Bottom