Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer movement update thread

Van Buren County this weekend. 2 guys on one farm to guys on another farm and 1 hunting public. Over all things were pretty slow. Friday afternoon on my way down I saw lots of buck doe pairs. Saturday was slow for everyone with mostly young bucks cruising. 1 shooter seen all day. Yesterday was better but, none of us saw much of anything until after 8. Bucks are still with does or coming through looking for does. 1 buddy sat from sunrise until about 1. He was rattling once an hour and getting mostly young bucks, a couple shooters but he's already got one buck down so the next one would have to be something special. Hopefully the next few days see a lot of does bread. I'm heading back down Thursday and it has been a very good time for me historically. Colder temps should really help.

Van Buren County this weekend. 2 guys on one farm to guys on another farm and 1 hunting public. Over all things were pretty slow. Friday afternoon on my way down I saw lots of buck doe pairs. Saturday was slow for everyone with mostly young bucks cruising. 1 shooter seen all day. Yesterday was better but, none of us saw much of anything until after 8. Bucks are still with does or coming through looking for does. 1 buddy sat from sunrise until about 1. He was rattling once an hour and getting mostly young bucks, a couple shooters but he's already got one buck down so the next one would have to be something special. Hopefully the next few days see a lot of does bread. I'm heading back down Thursday and it has been a very good time for me historically. Colder temps should really help.

Friday afternoon I saw a pile of deer. Most between 1230 and 2. No shooters.
Saturday morning I saw 15 different deer. 2 shooters with no shots
Saturday afternoon was slow. 2 cruising 1.5 year old bucks and 1 doe
Sunday afternoon I rattled in a 1.5 year old buck at 1. Saw some fawns and does. One shooter following a doe on a bottom.
About 445 all hell broke loose. Will elaborate in the harvest forum when I get time.

Seen 3 cars on the shoulder this morning that collided with deer on my way to work and my buddy sent me this pick of one that got smacked on his way to work. They must be liking that super moon. Keep after em, it's still happening!

Sat am I had good activity hunting in the deep timber. Deer moving constantly from sunrise till about 9:00, then all stopped. Caught a glimpse of a shooter on the next ridge chasing a doe. Had several small 8 pointers cruise through. Lots of does filtering through the timber. Sat afternoon moved to just off one of my food plots. Bumped a shooter as soon as I stepped out of the truck. Rattled in a 2 year old 8, passed on a 3 year old 8 at last light. Sunday morning, I did not see a deer. Hunted from sunrise to 10 am before i had to head in. Not very intense rut activity this year. Almost difficult to tell if deer are cruising or just on their way to get something to eat. Only being able to hunt on the weekends, I am hoping that the cold temps finally get deer moving more. Most of my cameras show that much of mature bucks are moving at night. Weather probably the culprit for that. Also this weekend saw lots of hunting pressure on neighboring properties, which probably results in suppressed movement.

Hunted Saturday morning and evening, Button Bucks, spikes, and doe s. That's it. I think winneshiek county is in full lock down.

Sounds like a common trend statewide. Activity has been poo. I haven't seen more than 9 deer since saturday morning. Been on vacation since election day afternoon. Haven't seen a single shooter in that time and only one mature buck. Big body, really big head and grey face but he is about 12 inches wide, just not what I'm looking for. In the meantime, my #1 and #2 bucks for this year have vanished. Haven't had #2 on camera since the 5th of October and #1 disappeared on the 24th of October. Not sure what to do...

Saturday got out about noon tIL dark. Decent movement but no shooters. Hunted Sunday morning and evening less deer sighted. Today I climbed into the stand at 6:10 a.m. and got down at 5:20 p.m. Seen one 2.5 year old at first light then nothing the rest of the day. Not even a freaking doe... I assume this "super moon " has something to do with it but what do I know. Frustrating day to say the least.

Nug

My son and I hunted Fri-Mon...by far and away our best action was Friday. Pretty slow otherwise, I had 3 mature does and 4 fawns feeding in front of me for the last hour of daylight today and do you think I could get a buck out there??? NO, no I could not! :D I finally saw one 2-1/2 year old with about 5 minutes of legal time left. Then after shooting time...the place blew up with three good bucks barreling through in front of me chasing one obviously good looking doe. It was just dark enough that I couldn't be sure which bucks they were.

We need some cooler temps and a little less moon!

Reactions: Ben
Hang in there guys, I was completely bummed with the past 2 weeks, not seeing many deer if any at all. The corn finally went out this past weekend and yesterday afternoon (2 hr. sit till dark) I saw two - 2 1/2 yr old, one - 1 1/2 yr old, ten does/yearling does, a few button bucks, and finally saw a mature buck on his feet at 4:00 PM. At 5:00 I saw what I believe was the same buck in another field, grunted hard at him and he came to investigate. I'm tagged out on a decent 10 pointer - he's just over 140". I feel like the best is yet to come in Muscatine county in the coming days, if we can avoid the warm daytime temps. Good luck to everybody!

Saw several deer out in cut beans and hay ground this morning. Most I assume were does and fawns, but did get a glimpse of a rack on a couple of them. One was standing motionless about 30 yards from a treeline. Almost thought it was a taxi decoy until it turned its head (guess could be robotic decoy!). Too far to tell size/age, just was able to see enough of the main beams to know it had antlers.

How was movement when the front came through?

There was a cold front?! Someone should have said something!

Total heartbreak this morning. I underdressed for the cold by 8:30 no way I could shoot straight if I wanted to. I headed back to the truck for a warm up. I'm sitting there warming up and I watch my dream buck, 190" 10 point stroll along the Timberline 15 yards from my stand and then as if to rub it in he continues straight toward me and walked 10 yards from the truck just outside the driver side window. As he walked by I told him, I'm going to get you. I probably lied.

Top Bottom