Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2017 Hunt

I forgot to mention ND. Not sure how their deer herd is currently but a few years ago there were some brutes taken on public land there every year

A whole lot of Kansas guys out there. Anybody ever do any public land hunting out there? I'm not interested in paying for a lease. Never really know what you will get. Too many people have been screwed over on leases. Maybe it's different in other states but I wouldn't consider it in Wisconsin.

Ohio has it going on. They don't get their guns out until Nov. 28. They also have a one buck rule. If you got on quality ground you could do really well. They have that freak-nasty non-typical gene in the water too.

Ohio has it going on. They don't get their guns out until Nov. 28. They also have a one buck rule. If you got on quality ground you could do really well. They have that freak-nasty non-typical gene in the water too.
It's strange how many bucks from down there have some sort of non-typical action going on. Wish the weather would break before all the turkey seasons open. I need to travel somewhere soon. Got some friends out in Kansas right now they said they got 2" of snow and shed hunting is tough. They are staying for another week. Those guys are nuts they spend thousands on leases and endless weeks out there.

What you wanna shoot BTW?
If what I was wanting to shoot was a "FULLY MATURE" buck but maybe it maxed out at 140-150.... heck, I'd look at MT, WY, ND, etc. Wide open huge landscapes with few people, lower pressure BUT.... I'm gonna guess, based on what I've seen my buddies do.... The absolute mammoth (say 190"+) bucks just really don't occur there, it's extremely rare if so. BUT, it seems like a lot get to maturity. they just might only score 130-150" - which to many, that's fantastic (heck, I'm happy to see those bucks and shoot em ANYWHERE!). Of course everyone wants the best of both worlds: potential at absolute slobs, fully mature, high scoring deer & low pressure areas - it's just finding that is so dang hard. Even in Iowa to be honest. But, heck, I think if you'd say "heck, I'd be cool shooting a 145" fully mature buck" as a general goal, some out west states and low population states could start popping up as go-to destinations. There's something to be said about being in the middle of no where, being around few or no hunters and hunting in the remote areas with few or no headaches of other hunters & over-pressured headaches. Just a thought.

What you wanna shoot BTW?
If what I was wanting to shoot was a "FULLY MATURE" buck but maybe it maxed out at 140-150.... heck, I'd look at MT, WY, ND, etc. Wide open huge landscapes with few people, lower pressure BUT.... I'm gonna guess, based on what I've seen my buddies do.... The absolute mammoth (say 190"+) bucks just really don't occur there, it's extremely rare if so. BUT, it seems like a lot get to maturity. they just might only score 130-150" - which to many, that's fantastic (heck, I'm happy to see those bucks and shoot em ANYWHERE!). Of course everyone wants the best of both worlds: potential at absolute slobs, fully mature, high scoring deer & low pressure areas - it's just finding that is so dang hard. Even in Iowa to be honest. But, heck, I think if you'd say "heck, I'd be cool shooting a 145" fully mature buck" as a general goal, some out west states and low population states could start popping up as go-to destinations. There's something to be said about being in the middle of no where, being around few or no hunters and hunting in the remote areas with few or no headaches of other hunters & over-pressured headaches. Just a thought.
I used to be overly worked up on the score. To me now its all about the hunt itself. Sometimes you have that awesome looking 130" 8 pointer with frost on his rack pushing deer around or chasing or just doing something so unreal that he is the one you decide to take. Sure I dream of at least a 150" but in reality they are not around every tree or every piece of land you hunt. During my hunt in Iowa this year I had several opportunities at some nice 4 year old bucks and unfortunately wounded one. But that is the type of hunt I want, something with opportunities. My North Dakota hunt 10 years ago was great. I saw lots of deer (most at a distance) but they were super tough to get within range. My current average right now is a buck with the bow every 4 or 5 years because I won't shoot anything younger than 3 1/2.

I used to be overly worked up on the score. To me now its all about the hunt itself. Sometimes you have that awesome looking 130" 8 pointer with frost on his rack pushing deer around or chasing or just doing something so unreal that he is the one you decide to take. Sure I dream of at least a 150" but in reality they are not around every tree or every piece of land you hunt. During my hunt in Iowa this year I had several opportunities at some nice 4 year old bucks and unfortunately wounded one. But that is the type of hunt I want, something with opportunities. My North Dakota hunt 10 years ago was great. I saw lots of deer (most at a distance) but they were super tough to get within range. My current average right now is a buck with the bow every 4 or 5 years because I won't shoot anything younger than 3 1/2.
So, based on that.... that actually changes what "I'D DO IF I WERE YOU" by a lot..... 4.5+, low pressure, enjoyable hunt (not climbing all over other hunters), 130-150", fun, etc...... Geez man, that totally changes what I'd do..... I'd go out to where there's simply a low amount of people in states that consistently produce "good scoring bucks but not really many mega giants". Again, I go back to the MIDDLE OF FRIGIN NO WHERE!!!!..... WY, far desolate places in NE & KS, Montana, North & South Dakota (out to where there's hardly any people, for real). Maybe even stuff like idaho, whatever. For me, if I was in that position.... All i'd want.... I'd wanna be in MIDDLE OF NO WHERE, (WY & Montana fit the bill), lots of deer (which to me, equals fun), places with few people where tons of deer make it to maturity and some die of old age or disease BUT..... no, my expectations are not to shoot a 180" deer. My buddies that go to WY & Montana shoot mature bucks yearly, nothing mammoth but they are old. they see few hunters, see tons of deer and it's a relaxing and gorgeous country. That'd be where I'd go based on your statements.

South Dakota!!

Find that secluded river bottom, even on public?

Late November gun season, and 1/2 or less hunters get buck tags-gun. It's a bow hunters dream!!

Except there are not as many trees.

I'm a current Illinois resident and have been hunting public for 25 years. Not only that but with my job I travel the entire state and so have been able to scout and hunt tons of public ground over the years. In fact I am actually on a business trip now and scouted some IL public March 4/5, then Iowa last weekend. I am scouting Iowa again this upcoming weekend, because I should draw a NR bow tag for my unit this season. Even though I know some good spots for Illinois public, and can buy two buck tags for only $26/each, I am not hesitating to pay the $800 for my one Iowa tag + point fees for a real hunt instead of another Illinois ghost buck hunt. Illinois public land sucks and is over run with southern accented, unlimited GA, MS, AL, LA, TN hunters I can't wait to escape from. Most days I see zero deer. If I do see any it's between one and three. I hiked in over a mile daily in the roughest hell holes. My season ended having hunted a total of 30 days and passing on two - 130" bucks. No thanks. I've served my 4 year sentence and am ready for a real hunt again.

I have hunted public in other surrounding states and these days I'd have to suggest Missouri or Kansas. If you do MO, apply for their controlled hunts.

South Dakota has the walk in hunter program that opens up thousands of acres to public access, you can order the maps late summer online. Talking to some farmers for permission for archery would get you on some good ground too. We pheasant hunt there and most of the landowners are pretty laid back.

Made a few phone calls today with some biologists in Kansas,North Dakota and South Dakota. South Dakota has good numbers and it wasn't a terrible winter, North Dakota is still struggling to get the herd back from EHD and harsh winters. Kansas sounds great all around but sometimes tough to find good property. Going to buy an enclosed trailer and make some trips out west. Cheaper than a hotel.

Beware of the Kansas WIHA properties. When I hunted there the guide book was just a roadmap for outfitters to locate available properties for leasing. All the good ones were one and done and out of the WIHA system the next year, generally leaving just bird hunting ground.

Beware of the Kansas WIHA properties. When I hunted there the guide book was just a roadmap for outfitters to locate available properties for leasing. All the good ones were one and done and out of the WIHA system the next year, generally leaving just bird hunting ground.
Sad to hear that outfitters ruined another spot. Did you end up getting anything?

That was years ago but I expect nothing has changed. Except that was before the corrupt LO legislator pushed through his bill to liberalize NR tags essentially ending limited NR qoutas, and retired to his outfitting business. That last year in Kansas I aerial scouted over 200 WIHA properties, boot scouted 20, and ended up hunting 8 of them. I like the tall grass. Bucks will use it a lot, but not when the pheasant population is high and the orange army with barking dogs is pounding every inch of it. That is what most of the WIHA properties are, old fields. I only found two that had good deer populations that were not nocturnal. Those two were great for one year. Yes I scored and should have done even better. When I returned the following year both were posted by outfitters. I got on some chat forums and got confirmation that yes outfitters use the new WIHA properties as a roadmap to locate willing landowners and buy them out.

That was years ago but I expect nothing has changed. Except that was before the corrupt LO legislator pushed through his bill to liberalize NR tags essentially ending limited NR qoutas, and retired to his outfitting business. That last year in Kansas I aerial scouted over 200 WIHA properties, boot scouted 20, and ended up hunting 8 of them. I like the tall grass. Bucks will use it a lot, but not when the pheasant population is high and the orange army with barking dogs is pounding every inch of it. That is what most of the WIHA properties are, old fields. I only found two that had good deer populations that were not nocturnal. Those two were great for one year. Yes I scored and should have done even better. When I returned the following year both were posted by outfitters. I got on some chat forums and got confirmation that yes outfitters use the new WIHA properties as a roadmap to locate willing landowners and buy them out.
I'm going to give it a go. It doesnt scare me to hike 3 or 4 miles to get to my stand. The only thing that worries me are Rattle Snakes. Grass snakes scare the crap out of me. This should be interesting! Thanks for the input.

I hunt public in Kansas currently. It has taken me a while to find a good spot but I finally found a good piece of public. Im in Eastern kansas though so there is alot more people and competition on this side of the state. A lot more public/wiha land in the western half of the state.

I hunt public in Kansas currently. It has taken me a while to find a good spot but I finally found a good piece of public. Im in Eastern kansas though so there is alot more people and competition on this side of the state. A lot more public/wiha land in the western half of the state.
Do you remember how much a tag runs you? Kinda hard to navigate the web page.

Do you remember how much a tag runs you? Kinda hard to navigate the web page.
I'm actually a resident here now. Moved from Iowa a couple years ago. so i only pay $42 and can hunt from september to mid December. Nonresident tags are $442.

I'm a current Illinois resident and have been hunting public for 25 years. Not only that but with my job I travel the entire state and so have been able to scout and hunt tons of public ground over the years. In fact I am actually on a business trip now and scouted some IL public March 4/5, then Iowa last weekend. I am scouting Iowa again this upcoming weekend, because I should draw a NR bow tag for my unit this season. Even though I know some good spots for Illinois public, and can buy two buck tags for only $26/each, I am not hesitating to pay the $800 for my one Iowa tag + point fees for a real hunt instead of another Illinois ghost buck hunt. Illinois public land sucks and is over run with southern accented, unlimited GA, MS, AL, LA, TN hunters I can't wait to escape from. Most days I see zero deer. If I do see any it's between one and three. I hiked in over a mile daily in the roughest hell holes. My season ended having hunted a total of 30 days and passing on two - 130" bucks. No thanks. I've served my 4 year sentence and am ready for a real hunt again.

I have hunted public in other surrounding states and these days I'd have to suggest Missouri or Kansas. If you do MO, apply for their controlled hunts.
Since I will be driving through Missouri on my way west do you have any suggestions as to which part of the state I should concentrate on? Heard the EHD did some serious damage there a few years ago.

Top Bottom