Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opening morning 4th season success...

DSC_1120_zpsjgquyh8f.jpg
DSC_1130_zpsbxhfzf0m.jpg
DSC_1132_zps62ufualc.jpg
DSC_1133_zpsulckxjao.jpg
DSC_1135_zpssigy392l.jpg
DSC_1144_zpsprjuzq7b.jpg
a>

Thought I'd throw up some photos and story of the hunt for 4th season. Try to keep it short winded. Went to my 4th season farm unscouted not knowing what to expect and got set up in the dark on a bean field. Roost gobbles were coming from where I had parked the truck.(Dang it!) Sure enough they entered the field walking 40 yards right by the truck. Glad I walked 1/2 a mile to get to my spot. I ended up watching these two toms in the field for 3 hours put moves on live hens. They gobbled at every call a threw at them but wouldn't leave the hens. At 930 I had finally got them to 80 yards and was really starting to get their interest and it was fixing to happen, when a helicopter of all things comes by at tree height. The birds all flew out of the field. Son of a B just my luck! So I grabbed a hen decoy and got in the woods with them. Half hour later I had them fired up again and gobbling at my calls but not getting closer. Then I knew I had to get in their zone. So I got within 100 yds with a small rise between me and them and I wasn't about to peek. Sat down and called.... chain gobble. Waited 5 minutes and called 30 yd gobble... can't see em yet. Called lightly a minute later Thunderous gobble 20yds. Point gun towards top of rise. First jelly head creasts the hill at 15 yds and I let her rip connecting with the goofy fan tom. Bird in hand! No video as circumstances didn't allow but got some nice photos of the toms I was working before the helicopter showed.

Last edited:
a>

Thought I'd throw up some photos and story of the hunt for 4th season. Try to keep it short winded. Went to my 4th season farm unscouted not knowing what to expect and got set up in the dark on a bean field. Roost gobbles were coming from where I had parked the truck.(Dang it!) Sure enough they entered the field walking 40 yards right by the truck. Glad I walked 1/2 a mile to get to my spot. I ended up watching these two toms in the field for 3 hours put moves on live hens. They gobbled at every call a threw at them but wouldn't leave the hens. At 930 I had finally got them to 80 yards and was really starting to get their interest and it was fixing to happen, when a helicopter of all things comes by at tree height. The birds all flew out of the field. Son of a B just my luck! So I grabbed a hen decoy and got in the woods with them. Half hour later I had them fired up again and gobbling at my calls but not getting closer. Then I knew I had to get in their zone. So I got within 100 yds with a small rise between me and them and I wasn't about to peek. Sat down and called.... chain gobble. Waited 5 minutes and called 30 yd gobble... can't see em yet. Called lightly a minute later Thunderous gobble 20yds. Point gun towards top of rise. First jelly head creasts the hill at 15 yds and I let her rip connecting with the goofy fan tom. Bird in hand! No video as circumstances didn't allow but got some nice photos of the toms I was working before the helicopter showed.

Well done! I thought I had experienced every possible way for a turkey to "dodge the bullet", but I have never had a helicopter wreck a hunt. :) Funny stuff right there. Also, your goofy fan tom is ready made for a homemade reaper...just be sure to use a plastic dustpan as the base, like all the big name hunters do. :) Congrats!

Top Bottom