Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

lottery winner!!!!

mudingbuck

PMA Member
For the last 4 years, me and my buddy Adam have put in for a New Mexico elk tag. We have heard stories of people putting in for 20 years and never drew, but we figured you can't draw unless you try. Adam messaged me that the draw date was moved up and he was watching and waiting for the results to be posted. I told him, This will be the year we get drawn, I just had back surgery and he tore a few ligaments in his knee, not to mention I had a bear hunt booked for this Spring and he has an Aoudad hunt this December. Anyways, a few minutes later he calls and tells me we in fact drew a unit 16A archery elk tag!!!! Its going to be a long 5 months.

I have most everything I need, but I am looking for advise on a good pack. I have a badlands 2200 pack, not sure that is going to be a good pack to use for a day pack/meat hauler. What do you think?

This is my third elk hunt. My first 2 were a DIY in Colorado that ended in tag soup. I learned a lot from these endeavors and have already picked up my training! Anything special that one should do to better prepare themselves for amazing opportunity?!?!

Thanks in advance!

I hope to post an amazing story here in a few months!!!

I'm jealous! Not many guys use em on here, but I love eberlestock packs. I'll never own a different one. Scheels has the M5(elk pack) on sale for $200 in DSM right now. It's a $330 pack originally, with external frame and perfect size for a daypack. Worth a look for sure.

Congrats on the draw. I don't know what back surgery you had but hope you recover. Should be a awesome hunt.

Congratulations!!!! I keep looking at putting in for New Mexico but have yet to do it.

As to the badlands 2200..... I have that same pack. I do not think it will be all you will want. If you are backpacking in then no way. If you are day hunting from a camp on the road then it will be fine up until it's time to haul meat. You can do it with the 2200 but unless you are extremely lucky and the pack fits your torso well you will hate it. I would probably by a frame pack meat hauler to use when you get one on the ground which is what we do.

My buddy killed a big bull this year in CO. There were 5 of us and 4 frame packs. I drew the short straw and ended up with the 2200. At first I had a bone in front quarter on it and that wasn't to bad. Weight stayed pretty close to my body and I think it was tolerable. Though I only tried it for a little walk around while we were still breaking down the bull. After looking at everything I ended up with all the boned out meat, back straps, neck, etc. Probably about 80 pounds. All the meat ended up in a big ball at the bottom of the pack hanging low and away from my body. It was only 1.5 miles to the truck with not much vertical but a lot of that marshy clearing terrain with streams running through it you couldn't see during day light and it was about midnight when we headed out. It sucked big time! If I would not have had trekking polls I would not have made it. One buddy had the 2 fronts on his pack and he had an easier time then I did.

Yes, it sucks to go back for a frame pack when your standing over an animal. You could easily take out a manageable amount of meat or a bone in front with the BL and then grab the frame. There are also some meat bags called BOMB bags. Stands for boned out meat bags. I have never seen them but they are designed to keep boned meat in a long formed shape similar to a bone in quarter. You might want to look those up.

If you decide to buy another pack of any kind research pack fit first. All of the leading pack manufactures (Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, KUIU, and more) make multiple size frames to fit your torso size. You may crap your pants a little at the price. I believe Sheels is selling Mystery Ranch now but I'm not sure what they will have on the shelf. Many frame haulers are adjustable to your torso. Just make sure they have load lifters and know how to use them. My buddy's all have ones from Cabela's that have hauled out multiple animals and seem to work well.

Good luck! Look forward to following your adventure.

Congratulations! I did not draw in NM this year, but I'm not surprised considering the unit I put in for.

As for packs, I'll second the Elberlestock. There are many great packs out there, as mplane says, but its really hard to beat an Eberlestock, especially for getting meat out on the first trip. When I finally decide to upgrade from my Blacks Creek, I'll be using my prodeal on an Eberlestock. Someone recently posted something about Eberlestock and I threw out a few other models that are great for western hunting. Take a look at the Couesewhitetail.com classifieds as there are guys who are constantly upgrading and selling used, but excellent condition Eberlestocks and Kuius. I also highly recommend a good frame pack for the remaining trips.

Also, train, train, and train, both in cardio and with a pack on. The Gila NF is some of the most beautiful country, especially 16A, but is very unforgiving! Good luck!

Congrats on the 16A tag! I drew 5B Archery. Not a glorious Gila unit but should be a good time.

Congratulations! I did not draw in NM this year, but I'm not surprised considering the unit I put in for.

As for packs, I'll second the Elberlestock. There are many great packs out there, as mplane says, but its really hard to beat an Eberlestock, especially for getting meat out on the first trip. When I finally decide to upgrade from my Blacks Creek, I'll be using my prodeal on an Eberlestock. Someone recently posted something about Eberlestock and I threw out a few other models that are great for western hunting. Take a look at the Couesewhitetail.com classifieds as there are guys who are constantly upgrading and selling used, but excellent condition Eberlestocks and Kuius. I also highly recommend a good frame pack for the remaining trips.

Also, train, train, and train, both in cardio and with a pack on. The Gila NF is some of the most beautiful country, especially 16A, but is very unforgiving! Good luck!

I have been elk hunting and have learned that one must be in great shape. I have a home gym and have been weight training for a while and since we drew i have started walking on a max incline for 10 minutes every day. I will work my way up to an hour twice a week with an 80 pound vest on!!!!

my home gym. don't mind the hairy gym!
gym.jpg

Well at least I know who will be using my buddy and my tags.I know a guy that has hunted the handicap hunt in 16A several times and has some nice bulls.You might think about having a bear tag,I hear lots in that area.It's the Gila,doesn't get any better

I had a miserable pack out with my daughter's elk last fall resulting in a numb outer leg and big toe for 4 to 5 months. I had an external pack frame and strapped my 2200 to it for a day pack. My buddy hauled the same weight as me with no discomfort and used the same pack for a day pack as it compresses down amazingly well. It is an Exo Mountain Gear 3500. It is an amazing pack. I am building a Frankenstein pack with a Kifaru frame and Exo 3500 bag. Most expensive single hunting item I've ever bought that is not a weapon. I don't want anymore nerve damage!!

Check out the Exo 3500. You'll be glad you did.

Dang man, got some hardware in that x-ray. How is your mobility and pain after that surgery? I fractured my L4 vertebrae playing ball in high school, opted to leave it alone as the doctors advised me to. Still gives me problems if I get into high impact activity too much though.

Congrats on the tag draw!

As for the packs, just drop the $ on a quality pack and you wont be sorry.
I had a KUIU Ultra pack, and with just 40lbs, it would move around and just never sat right on me. After just 2 hours of hiking with 40lbs, my back was in some serious pain.

I sold my KUIU kit (for more $ than I paid for it, thanks to them raising the price on everything), and bought a Kifaru hunter frame and Reckoning bag. The difference between both bags is NIGHT and DAY. The Kifaru carries the weight better and sinches down tighter to my body and is WAYYYYY more comfortable.

lmk if you're ever in the DSM area and want to meet up and check it out.

Dang man, got some hardware in that x-ray. How is your mobility and pain after that surgery? I fractured my L4 vertebrae playing ball in high school, opted to leave it alone as the doctors advised me to. Still gives me problems if I get into high impact activity too much though.

Just about a little more then 3 months out. Stiff, but I would say I feel much better. I am not as flexible as i was before going in, but I believe it is because I have been worried about over doing it. I think once the bone is healed, (4 months) I will start working on my flexibility more with more aggressive stretches and start building my core. I really was hesitant to do the surgery, but the fracture was pinching nerves and surgery was my only options.

Are you still looking for a pack? Here is an Eberlestock Just One for sale down here in AZ.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/72138-eberlestock-just-one-pack/

There are several used ones in great condition if that interests you.

Thanks man for looking out for me! After talking to the guide we won't need much for packs since we will be staying in his bunk house every night. I have a few day packs for everyday use and I ordered a Badlands Frame pack for when the work starts.

Thanks man for looking out for me! After talking to the guide we won't need much for packs since we will be staying in his bunk house every night. I have a few day packs for everyday use and I ordered a Badlands Frame pack for when the work starts.

Sounds good, Tom. If something changes and you want me to alert you through PMs, let me know.

In NM you can use an ATV alot of times to haul out meat but our last one we packed down hill to a trail and hauled from there.

In NM you can use an ATV alot of times to haul out meat but our last one we packed down hill to a trail and hauled from there.

Last time we talked to our guide he told us ATVs will be real handy, so looks like we will be taking our quads down!

Top Bottom