Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Layoffs

Fletch-- NR have driven the price of marginal ground way up??

Compared to what state? Name a bordering state where Iowa has significantly higher land prices....not including good flat Iowa corn ground.
That's what you don't get. Every state @ us has gone to shit. We don't care about higher land prices. We want to protect what we have. Our (residents of iowa) have seen what has happened in other states. You don't have any props on your side, even with all your comparisons. One thing you are doing is making residents have a negative feeling towards nr. Think about it. But keep pushing! I have a feeling the residents of iowa will do as they have done for years, join together and agree to pick up the slack that you wealthy nr say you will pick up.
Why didn't you mention S.D. like you did earlier. If you see an advantage there, by all means knock yourself out!

I'm afraid Hardwood will never
get it because he comes from
a state that welcomes people from other states and treats them fairly.
I would hope that everyone on here would judge people as individuals and not just as NR/NRLO. We are all passionate about our pursuit of whitetail and go to great lengths to do it or we wouldn't even look at this stuff! Big bucks have turned friend against friend, ruined marriages and divided families!

Last edited:
Wouldn't prices be higher in Iowa than say Wisconsin, Eastern Nebraska, Minnesota and Illinois if so many NR were driving up prices?? I have been watching the market since 1999--every week---up until the past year or so, Southern Iowa was much cheaper than the surrounding states (minus Missouri). Right now it is similar to all the surrounding states.

One of the reasons NR bought here over the years was because the price was lower, and the income from cash rent and CRP was potentially higher than other states. I know several site members--including myself that have bought farms for $2000/acre or slightly higher--even just a few years ago.

Some of the land you can buy in Warren County at 3000-4000 acre is unbelievable. That same land in another state, say MN, within 30 miles of the metro or Rochester would be $10,000-20,000 acre.

Someone that actually uses facts in an argument and not oh poor pity me the resident. I am a resident and just like any other resident or non-resident we can move in or out of state. Capitalism is what makes America part of what it is.....Bill Wienke has ground for sale for $3000/acre right now and that's as cheap as you'll find it it any other state around and that's why NR buy. This BS of NR will make land so expensive we can't buy is BS. There are just as many big time resident LO who are buying ground as NR.

Southern Iowa ag land has never had values that would compete with the areas you mention. Compare Northern Iowa to Southern Iowa and again you have two different worlds. I work with ag producers every day and have for over 27 years. I know what drives the land markets here. By your own admission, the land was cheaper and has now caught up to some extent. It had less to offer in the terms of agriculture. It wasn't until big antlers became a fetish for so many that our land began to become more valuable. That value is largely driven by outside investors that are only interested in the hunting. A large percentage of those buyers are non-residents. Many of whom moved here just to be able to hunt big bucks every year. I have no problem with that. If you want the rights of an Iowan, become an Iowan and enjoy. If deep pockets from out of state were allowed any preference on buck tags, our land values would rival that of all states mentioned in very short order. Good for those of us that own land. Horrible for all of our friends and neighbors that are not that fortunate. And bad for those that wish to make a living off the land. Our local economy depends on agriculture, not a few hotel stays and a few meals in local restaurants each fall. We continue to lose acres that were once used for pasture and hay to hunting. It really is not even a debate for anyone that wants to honestly access the facts and economics of the situation. You can kid yourself into believing what you want. But, the facts speak for themselves. ANY change to give NRLO's preference in drawing buck tags will hurt Iowans. There is no reason to do so, and no positive outcome to residents of Iowa. It's a selfish want, not a right or need.

Who is selling that hay ground and pasture to NR? It's residents and they are doing so because the $$ is good. Obviously agriculture has a bigger economical impact than hunting and it's not even close. These same NR are the ones investing into the future and making wildlife habitat better when Residents are eliminating this habitat for an extra bushel of corn.

I'm afraid Hardwood will never
get it because he comes from
a state that welcomes people from other states and treats them fairly.
I would hope that everyone on here would judge people as individuals and not just as NR/NRLO. We are all passionate about our pursuit of whitetail and go to great lengths to do it or we wouldn't even look at this stuff! Big bucks have turned friend against friend, ruined marriages and divided families!

I couldn't have said it better and I'm not so sure why so many residents are against NR LO getting anything. Most of these NR LO buy these old dilapidated farms that haven't been taken care of for decades and turn them into wildlife habitat. This is a great win for our wildlife as so many residents are destroying habitat or not taking care of it at all.

Who is selling that hay ground and pasture to NR? It's residents and they are doing so because the $$ is good. Obviously agriculture has a bigger economical impact than hunting and it's not even close. These same NR are the ones investing into the future and making wildlife habitat better when Residents are eliminating this habitat for an extra bushel of corn.

This is great!

You haven't a clue what your talking about!!

Come down to Osceola and I'll personally take you to 50 farms owned by Non residents within a 100 mile radius of this town and show you what kind of destruction your beloved NRLO have done to ground!

I'd say over half of the ground currently being farmed in Clarke, Decatur, Ringgold, Taylor and Union 10 years ago was over grown non productive cattle pasture. Non resident land owners are looking for farms with high cash flows, that is fact. Pasture ground being rented for 50-70$/acre or pasture now being row cropped for 175-225$/acre cash rent; you tell me which is more desirable. Why do you think these resident southern Iowa land owners are selling? Who do you think drove those prices up to make the pot so sweet for these guys down here; I can promise you it wasn't his resident neighbor!

Bkccrtnps aren't you originally from Michigan? How long have you lived in Iowa? Where do you live, Des Moines?

Someone that actually uses facts in an argument and not oh poor pity me the resident. I am a resident and just like any other resident or non-resident we can move in or out of state. Capitalism is what makes America part of what it is.....Bill Wienke has ground for sale for $3000/acre right now and that's as cheap as you'll find it it any other state around and that's why NR buy. This BS of NR will make land so expensive we can't buy is BS. There are just as many big time resident LO who are buying ground as NR.

Your example of Bill Winke is perfect. His ground would bring a lot more money if NRLO's were guaranteed buck tags. They would fight over it. Right now, the pool of buyers is limited because they don't want to wait for lottery archery tags. Iowa is an ag based economy. We have less opportunity for wealth. The one concession we have always had for putting up with less opportunity financially is a great outdoors experience. We have very little public ground compared to most states. If you want land to be priced beyond the means of the average resident, then I guess you really don't care if big money takes over the deer hunting opportunities here. And, that's fine. But, that is exactly what will happen. You will pay to play, or give up. There is a big world out there with more money than most Iowan's can comprehend. Texas residents either buy into a lease, own land, or apply for a lottery to hunt on public ground. That is exactly what you are wishing for. I find it hard to imagine anyone wanting to change the rules to pacify nonresidents at the cost of our own residents. It makes no sense at all.

Your example of Bill Winke is perfect. His ground would bring a lot more money if NRLO's were guaranteed buck tags. They would fight over it. Right now, the pool of buyers is limited because they don't want to wait for lottery archery tags. Iowa is an ag based economy. We have less opportunity for wealth. The one concession we have always had for putting up with less opportunity financially is a great outdoors experience. We have very little public ground compared to most states. If you want land to be priced beyond the means of the average resident, then I guess you really don't care if big money takes over the deer hunting opportunities here. And, that's fine. But, that is exactly what will happen. You will pay to play, or give up. There is a big world out there with more money than most Iowan's can comprehend. Texas residents either buy into a lease, own land, or apply for a lottery to hunt on public ground. That is exactly what you are wishing for. I find it hard to imagine anyone wanting to change the rules to pacify nonresidents at the cost of our own residents. It makes no sense at all.

Can you get a price and phone number for Winke's farm, because that would be perfect for MN2IAGuy and I to start our hunting show. I am sick of living on the Bullhead infested waters of MN. Ready for a change!

Last edited:
Can you get a price and phone number for Winke's farm, because that would be perfect for MN2IAGuy and I to start our hunting show. I am sick of living on the Bullhead infested waters of MN. Ready for a change!

Yep, another change that would benefit you. Sounds normal.

You could call your show; If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em.

• Deleted by IsThisHeaven?
Show…
This is great!

You haven't a clue what your talking about!!

Come down to Osceola and I'll personally take you to 50 farms owned by Non residents within a 100 mile radius of this town and show you what kind of destruction your beloved NRLO have done to ground!

I'd say over half of the ground currently being farmed in Clarke, Decatur, Ringgold, Taylor and Union 10 years ago was over grown non productive cattle pasture. Non resident land owners are looking for farms with high cash flows, that is fact. Pasture ground being rented for 50-70$/acre or pasture now being row cropped for 175-225$/acre cash rent; you tell me which is more desirable. Why do you think these resident southern Iowa land owners are selling? Who do you think drove those prices up to make the pot so sweet for these guys down here; I can promise you it wasn't his resident neighbor!

Bkccrtnps aren't you originally from Michigan? How long have you lived in Iowa? Where do you live, Des Moines?

See MN2IA and Hardwood, it's not just NRLO that are the problem, those who haven't lived in Iowa long enough or live in Des Moines are just as much of a problem...

See MN2IA and Hardwood, it's not just NRLO that are the problem, those who haven't lived in Iowa long enough or live in Des Moines are just as much of a problem...

Being selfish or out of touch with reality is certainly not exclusive to NR's. That's pretty evident here.

Being selfish or out of touch with reality is certainly not exclusive to NR's. That's pretty evident here.

Oh yea, I agree. That's clearly evident here. The best part is you don't even need to talk to a person to know if they are selfish or out of touch with reality. You can just look at their license plate.

Oh yea, I agree. That's clearly evident here. The best part is you don't even need to talk to a person to know if they are selfish or out of touch with reality. You can just look at their license plate.

Ha! This is great!

No but it's clearly evident to know when someone is full of brown poo based on the bogus responses they have or have had over a public internet forum!

Answer these questions
1.) Why did you move to Iowa?
2.) If you own land down south do you live around it or up in the city?
3.) Prior to googling information did you know what "CSR Rating" meant and what it is used for?
4.) Prior to googling information did you know anything about agriculture in Iowa?
5.) Prior to googling information did you grow up hunting/fishing/enjoy the outdoors or did you google how to hang treestands and watch Drury DVDs?

And for the record, when I see a pimped out truck with 1 million deer hunting stickers in the back window and Pennsylvania licence plates; you're absolutely correct I automatically label them into the "tool" category........

Ha! This is great!

No but it's clearly evident to know when someone is full of brown poo based on the bogus responses they have or have had over a public internet forum!

Answer these questions
1.) Why did you move to Iowa? My wife and I were born in Iowa. We moved back because our family lives here.
2.) If you own land down south do you live around it or up in the city? I do not own land.
3.) Prior to googling information did you know what "CSR Rating" meant and what it is used for? I don't know what CSR Rating is
4.) Prior to googling information did you know anything about agriculture in Iowa? I am not sure how you define this but my grandpa and farmed for 60 years. I helped around the farm until he sold it. I helped my friend milk cows and bale hay in high school.
5.) Prior to googling information did you grow up hunting/fishing/enjoy the outdoors or did you google how to hang treestands and watch Drury DVDs? I have bowhunted since I was 11. I hunted with my best friend and his dad on their land. I learned to hang treestand then. I have never seen a Drury DVD.

And for the record, when I see a pimped out truck with 1 million deer hunting stickers in the back window and Pennsylvania licence plates; you're absolutely correct I automatically label them into the "tool" category........

I've purchased two farms. Both from NR owners. Both sold because they didn't need so much land because they don't get to hunt it but every few years. I'm guessing if they allowed to hunt yearly, they wouldn't have been on the market for me to purchase.

Top Bottom