Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

lottery winner!!!!

• Deleted by mudingbuck
  • Reason: posted twice
Show…
  • Deleted by mudingbuck
  • Reason: posted twice
Show…
OP, You can put all those weights in the closet They won't do you any good. The only things you need to work out are your legs and lungs. I been biking 10 miles daily and running 20 miles/week. I'll be bow hunting very near to you in Arizona unit 1.

Since getting drawn I have lost 15 pounds and 4 percent body fat. I will have to disagree on the weights not helping any. Any time you can get your heart rate up you are improving you overall cardiovascular health. I start every day with 10 minute weighted hill climb, then work heavy weights for 45 minutes to an hour and finish with some more hill climbing, HIIT, or a short run. I do this 6 days a week! ......... Anyways, thanks for you input and good luck in AZ.

No big secret on the legs & lung knowledge. I've been hunting the Rockies for 20 years, taken 4 DIY bulls from 320-350 in 4 different states, the last one coming in 2011 in New Mexico at 11,000' elevation solo backpack (see avatar). I've worked out hard for all these ~20 hunts, and it was my legs that killed all four of my bulls. Lifting weights simply cannot raise your heart rate to the peak levels that running/biking can. 10-20 minutes weighted hill climb/short run? I'm 57 and biking 10 miles 6 days/week + running 4 miles 6 days/week. Basically biking/running 2 hours/day. For chasing elk in steep terrain at high elevation I'd recommend investing far more of your valuable workout time to legs/lungs. I see some guys post online articles about upper body workouts for elk and just don't get it. I think that is their regular thing so they just use their elk tag for motivation. Either way with an outfitter you are not going to have to cover as much ground, and your unit is relatively mild terrain. So is mine! Better be as at my age my wheels are starting to fall off.

I am not saying that one must only do weight lifting. I run and work cardio as well. All I am saying is that lifting weights too won't hurt. Also since I am coming off a broken vertebrae in my lower back, I need to strengthen my back and other core muscle, running and biking won't do that. Everyone is different in their training, but I WILL be ready come September.

I am not trying to argue or be confrontational. I appreciate your advice. The fact that you are still kicking the mountains butt at 57 is awesome!!!

No, Montana Rockies kicked my a$$ last year when I tried to backpack. However, that is because I'd suffered my third full year with chronic plantar fasciitis in left foot, totally restricting me from running. I'm more like a beat down micro bus with a flat tire trying to get by. But I won't quit. Foot pain finally ended a month ago and I resumed running. (3 1/2 years!) Current goal is to be ready for a 5K June 24th. I didn't realize how few folks run at my age. Last 5K I did only 5% were older than me. That surprised me.

I been watching some YouTube elk hunting videos lately and saw a couple filmed in your unit. Looked very mild and they all sat water holes. Haha if that's the program you won't need much cardio or really anything. Have you watched any videos of unit 16 hunts? I've archery elk hunted New Mexico 5 times, most in the high country Pecos Wilderness around Taos. I backpacked in 6 miles to get that bull in my avatar. 20 years ago nonresident odds were 90%, but after the rule change only 6% so I can't draw anymore. Awesome country north central part of state. After this year you should make some north central units part of your 2nd, 3rd choices. My first hunt was 1996 Valle Vidal. Lots of good units up there 52, 49, 45 will test your cardio. You should try these while you are young.

Zim, I sent you an PM so as not to highjack Muddingbuck's thread. I'm suffering from Planter Faciitis for 3 years now and haven't been able to run in prep for west hunts. I'd like to know how you kicked it. Shoot me a PM if you could.

Muddingbuck, I'm headed west this fall to guide a buddy in Colorado. Keep us updated on your progress and hunt.

Go to a foot Dr and get a really painful shot that only hurts for a sec but my first 2 lasted a year each and no problems for 2 years

Just a little up date on training and gear!

I started picking up the running. 2 miles, 3 times a week as of now. I am going to bump it up to 2.5 miles next week. Still in the gym 6 days a week strengthen my back and legs.

I changed my set up to the FMJ deep six and got my rig sighted in out to 90 yards and have been flinging arrows 3 or 4 nights a week.

I ended up buying The Ox pack from badlands for hauling out and will be using either my super day pack or my 2200 pack daily. Also picked up a pair of Danners Pronghorn light weight hunting/ hiking boots! As for light weight camo I am set up with some sitka gear in their sub alpine.

I picked up some new mouth calls, but don't plan to use them to much. Thats what the guide is for.

A little more then 5 weeks until we head out and I am feeling pretty great right now!!!

With all this, anything I am missing?

Don't forget a camera!

The one piece of gear/clothing I highly recommend is good socks. I always wear the Smartwool medium hike crew socks (http://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-socks-hike/mens-hike-medium-crew-socks-sw0sw130?variationId=236) with a pair of Smartwool liner socks underneath. Good socks and liner socks can be a life saver. The one time I was on a wildfire in NorCal and forgot my liner socks, I ended up in the hospital in Yreka, CA with an infected blister hoping I wouldn't lose my foot. Good socks (top quality) are a MUST in elk country!

And broadheads....

I bring that one up in half-jest. I know at least two guys who got out on their elk hunt only to realize they'd left their broadheads at home, 2 hours away! And a good friend of mine showed up to our remote turkey camp only to realize he'd grabbed a box of slugs instead of his turkey loads. D'oh!

Congrats on drawing this tag - I tried for this unit, but was unsuccessful. One item for Western hunts I would highly recommend are the KUIU attack pants.

Also would recommend adding hill repeats to your workout. I have a path wore down at the Saylorville Damn hill if you want to join me some evening.

Don't forget a camera!

The one piece of gear/clothing I highly recommend is good socks. I always wear the Smartwool medium hike crew socks (http://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-socks-hike/mens-hike-medium-crew-socks-sw0sw130?variationId=236) with a pair of Smartwool liner socks underneath. Good socks and liner socks can be a life saver. The one time I was on a wildfire in NorCal and forgot my liner socks, I ended up in the hospital in Yreka, CA with an infected blister hoping I wouldn't lose my foot. Good socks (top quality) are a MUST in elk country!

And broadheads....

I bring that one up in half-jest. I know at least two guys who got out on their elk hunt only to realize they'd left their broadheads at home, 2 hours away! And a good friend of mine showed up to our remote turkey camp only to realize he'd grabbed a box of slugs instead of his turkey loads. D'oh!

Camera! I Always have a camera or two!!!! As for socks I never really thought of that. I will have to get me several pair!

Congrats on drawing this tag - I tried for this unit, but was unsuccessful. One item for Western hunts I would highly recommend are the KUIU attack pants.

Also would recommend adding hill repeats to your workout. I have a path wore down at the Saylorville Damn hill if you want to join me some evening.

Thanks! Very were very lucky to hit this year. We only put in for 4 years! I don't have much for hills around flat ace central IA, but I plan to hit an archery shoot every weekend for the next month with a weighted pack. As for joining you at the damn, I really appreciate the offer, but thats an hour away and I am super busy with work and on top of that I am putting on an addition onto my house (for an elk head (( not really))). I just don't know when I would fine time to drive down there. I did however ramp it up to 3 miles at 9 PM 3 nights a week.

Don't forget a camera!

And broadheads....

How many pair does one need for a week in the mountains? I was going to but a pair for every day, but I didn't realize they were 20 bucks a pair!!!

How many pair does one need for a week in the mountains? I was going to but a pair for every day, but I didn't realize they were 20 bucks a pair!!!

Back when I was fighting wildfires, I would cycle socks/liners every two days without problems. Smartwools are expensive, but I'm fortunate enough to have a prodeal, making it easier. I can tell you that they are worth every penny, though. I'd think three pair should get you through, especially if you have access to laundry facilities through your guide.

Good wool socks with thin polypropylene liners has served me well depending on what fits with your boots. Wool socks might be good for 3 or 4 days and liners can be rinsed and dried daily or every other day as long as you have access to water and a line to dry them on. I'm sure you know it but do NOT skip the liner layer just because it's a warm day!!' Blister city in SPADES!!!

Good wool socks with thin polypropylene liners has served me well depending on what fits with your boots. Wool socks might be good for 3 or 4 days and liners can be rinsed and dried daily or every other day as long as you have access to water and a line to dry them on. I'm sure you know it but do NOT skip the liner layer just because it's a warm day!!' Blister city in SPADES!!!

Exactly! It was hiking in nasty, steep terrain in NorCal without liners that put me in the hospital and almost killed me. I can send pics that will make you never hike without good liners ever again!

Liner socks are a must for me also. I use 70% or higher Merino wool and liner socks. Don't even use an insulated boot, unless very cold.

Top Bottom