Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lets Talk October Cold Fronts

jkratz5

I have always heard guys having unbelievable success around cold fronts that role through in October. I for one have not been fortunate enough to capitalize on an October cold front, well maybe at least not on purpose.

Lets here some thoughts around this. Specifically relating too:

1. What sorts of temp changes are ideal
2. Anyone pay attention to the barometer readings, what is that magic number
3. Best areas to hunt
4. Morning/Evenings or both
5. Anything else pertinent to the topic

Would love to hear from the guys that have consistently been successful this time of year.

Kratz

October cold front.... Green food in the evening. Book it.

Definitely agree. ^^ This year, if you are hunting in a particularly dry area...then add in some water to the above and it could be even better. I rarely hunt mornings in October, preferring to focus on evenings. I would say about 10-15+ degree drop in temps, which will coincide often with blue bird skies and and NW winds is the ticket. While prime rut hunts are more exciting...October cold front hunts can be just as productive IMO.

I know 6x6 still lurks, would love to hear his input. He kills mega giants and prefers October fronts over November ruts.

Interested in this as well. I haven't had much experience with Oct. cold fronts either. Seems like they always hit in the middle of the week! I know a lot of the "pros" push these tho.

Evening.
Whatever is constant temp..... when there's a 10-20 degree swing lower- I'm in stand.
If u can find food & "unpressured bucks" (which can be hard) - imo, absolutely fantastic. Say a recently combined corn field or brassicas and temps dump down. Mature bucks will move well before dark if they have not been harassed. Great oppportunity if done right. Good topic!

Definitely agree. ^^ This year, if you are hunting in a particularly dry area...then add in some water to the above and it could be even better. I rarely hunt mornings in October, preferring to focus on evenings. I would say about 10-15+ degree drop in temps, which will coincide often with blue bird skies and and NW winds is the ticket. While prime rut hunts are more exciting...October cold front hunts can be just as productive IMO.
Agree with a water hole . Throw in a few combines in surrounding fields. Doesn't get much better in my area.

I had an excellent October morning hunt last year on a north wind-cold front event. Couldn't tell you the barometer specifically, but I was hunting a ridge between bedding areas. I was just after a doe and I had a mature 140" 8 and 3 bucks in the 100"-120" range walk by. Had the 8 not busted his G2 off I would have shot him. I rarely hunt many October cold front mornings unless they fall on the weekend, so my experience is limited.

Had good luck Prior to Oct 24th on days with a temp drop of 10-20, wind out of the north. Specifically NE with low pressure and drizzle. Really gets them on their feet. Evening for me also

Had good luck Prior to Oct 24th on days with a temp drop of 10-20, wind out of the north. Specifically NE with low pressure and drizzle. Really gets them on their feet. Evening for me also
That's exact situation I had 2 seasons ago and shot a 7 year old. He was out 90 mins before dark (guessing). Saw probably 5-6 bucks 3++ that night.

ill say this about precipitation regardless if it is associated with a cold front or not (obviously better with).... if it quits snowing, raining, sleeting, etc an hour(ish) before last light you are in for some serious movement at primetime.

Two years ago shot a real old 8 point. I stayed in the tree thru a nasty storm/monsoon (was literally bear hugging tree) that ended 50 minutes before dark. Not more than 5 minutes after it passed, deer were EVERYWHERE. I've seen the same scenario play out every time there is precipitation that stops.

ill say this about precipitation regardless if it is associated with a cold front or not (obviously better with).... if it quits snowing, raining, sleeting, etc an hour(ish) before last light you are in for some serious movement at primetime.

Two years ago shot a real old 8 point. I stayed in the tree thru a nasty storm/monsoon (was literally bear hugging tree) that ended 50 minutes before dark. Not more than 5 minutes after it passed, deer were EVERYWHERE. I've seen the same scenario play out every time there is precipitation that stops.

Agreed. ^^ Years ago...before I knew anything :), I withstood a rain storm in the stand and then thought I would get out of there in between storms. Only I about had to dodge multiple deer on my short trip out of the woods. Hmmmmm...maybe I should have stayed put. :) I now look specifically for situations where the rain, assuming we ever get any in SE Iowa that is, lets up with daylight left...the deer WILL BE on the move.

October can be slow, until a cold front. I killed my non typical last season after the first cold front of the season, first week of October. It was an hour before sunset at a plastic lined waterhole and clover. The year before, I killed the big 12 pt typical the 3rd week of October, after a strong front, on a fall rye/clover mix. After a cold front is always the best time to hunt, anytime of the year, but it really flips the switch in October

Some very good info in this thread from some super big buck killers, but I happened to think of this too...it is clear that there can be great post cold front hunting in October for even the oldest and wisest bucks in the timber. But I have also gotten to where 90% of the time I WILL NOT hunt in October unless there is a post cold front opportunity, at least in our better areas. I think the risk of educating Mr. Big is often high enough that I will not hunt good areas in October to avoid making it tougher to see an old buck in the daylight, moving freely just a couple weeks later.

Exceptions to this are that we will hunt "fringe" areas where we are either mostly observing the "good stuff" from a distance OR trying to take out some does in a lesser area. Some guys get all jacked to be bow hunting on October 1st and then have several sits in early to mid-October and often do more harm educating deer when their chances are low of connecting with a big one at that time. Patience grasshopper, patience. :)

^^^^^. Spot on in every aspect Daver!!!
When I was a youngster & started bowhunting Around 14 - my yearly plan was to hunt every night in October and every am during the weekends. I didn't know any better but was just too excited to hold off. Needless to say- I ruined so many spots and educated deer very fast. Thankfully I was ok not seeing a single deer on most hunts. I was horrible. :).

On the flip side though, how many times have you waited till November to hunt a certain buck only to have him get busted up killed by someone else or just chase does right on out of your hunting area? I hunt the October post front afternoons hard, but then more long range watching in between fronts. No mornings until towards the end of October.

I guess one October hunt does come to mind. It was mid-October and I was sitting on a clover field. Does were out early, so I didn't get as far as I wanted to. I was actually just planning to observe anyway, looking for a specific buck to size/age him on the hoof. Had a light SE wind, a little bit of drizzle in the afternoon, and was low 50s. Probably about half an hour before dark that buck entered the field with a few does (where I had walked thru a gateway) and worked by me out of range. I think the drizzle had stopped but don't remember for sure. According to the historical weather, the day before it had been low 60s (10 degree drop), but that whole week was mid-50s to mid-60s, so I'm not sure if the temp had much to do with it. Looks like the barometer was dropping starting the day before thru the day after.

Seems like it doesn't matter barometer falling or rising as long as its significantly Also I find if it's the first south after several out of the north or vice versa it makes a big difference, added to colder temps, moon phase can be great. Always love east influenced winds, low pressure, right up there with a frost morning!

Top Bottom