Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Go To Scrape Scent?

Just as the title says, what's your favorite scent to use on scrapes? Do you use different scents on mock scrapes versus real scrapes you find? What have you had your best luck getting mature bucks on camera at scrape locations with?

I used to be on the "take a leak in it " train for years, buddy convinced to try Windpro and let me tell ya, that stuff stinkssssssssss. Have yet to see results but Its potent.

Back several years ago I used the scrape drippers on real scrapes, usually with Active Scrape or Power Scrape. Tried the Power Scrape in spray bottle one year to make mock scrapes. Unfortunately I didn't run cameras on most, if any, of these and so don't know the real effect. I think they did get worked a little, at least the real ones. Now I have either been leaving them alone or peeing in them myself. Last year or the year before, I opened a scrape where a natural one had been for many years and hung a rope for a "licking branch" and peed in the scrape. I did put up a camera and got a little action on it, but they also made a real one about 3 feet away under the same tree! Guessing they liked the real licking branch better.

Just started using windpro this year and I'd say it works very well. Had at least 10 different bucks hit a mock scrape last week in an area that I wouldn't expect to see nearly that many bucks.

For mocks I use active scrape by wildlife research but when utilizing a natural scrape I don't use anything.

I haven't used any bottled additives to a scrape but have made licking branches and exposed dirt with success. Success = older bucks. You guys that add the bottled product to the scrape, are you seeing youngsters and older bucks? I've thought about it before but errored on caution side of not driving off a deer I care about. I have not idea on the matter, but am curious.

Just started using windpro this year and I'd say it works very well. Had at least 10 different bucks hit a mock scrape last week in an area that I wouldn't expect to see nearly that many bucks.
Windpro. Stuff simply works and doesn't break down.

I've seen the Windpro stuff advertised, and wondered if it really is as good as they claim. Looks like there's a few scents. Which are you guys using?

I've seen the Windpro stuff advertised, and wondered if it really is as good as they claim. Looks like there's a few scents. Which are you guys using?
So far I've just used the dominant buck scent. May try some of the doe once November rolls around.

last couple years it seems to be younger bucks move in early and tear it up- and then about a week before Halloween the dominate buck in the area starts hitting them all like clockwork. I use dominate buck- and then first week of November I will put some doe near by when I have a decoy out-

"I made a mock scrape a couple weeks ago and took a leak in it. It got a lot of action from bucks and does."

Works well for me too Hawkeye, been doing it for 15 years or more, more buck check it out than does but that's okay with me! I also had luck just making a mock scrape under a potential licking branch with no scent and if you make one in the right location they will come!

I haven't used any bottled additives to a scrape but have made licking branches and exposed dirt with success. Success = older bucks. You guys that add the bottled product to the scrape, are you seeing youngsters and older bucks? I've thought about it before but errored on caution side of not driving off a deer I care about. I have not idea on the matter, but am curious.
I've never seen a negative reaction from mature bucks. Products work great for inventory but you can't count on bucks changing their patterns (to daylight activity) trying to be the dominant buck in the area like most advertise. Buy one of the above mentioned products, stir up some dirt along a deer path, dump the product in, hang your camera on it and wait a couple weeks. Now till Halloween is the best time in my opinion. Should give you a great idea of what's in the area and help you put together a plan come rut.

Reactions: arm
I squirted some windpro on a few licking branches today. Tried to jumpstart the scraping by weedeating down to the dirt.

Haven't done this lately, but if you "collect" actual scrape dirt from one farm to another keeping it in a clean bag it does wonders. Very easy and fast. Guaranteed results.

Top Bottom