Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ozone generators

Ozone generators.....
I think a little education needs to be set in place with these things...... if you understand some basics of chemistry and the way Ozone works and the purpose of it. Ozone is an UNSTABLE adsorbing (not absorbing) chemical compound that creates various chemical reactions that results in many by-products that are toxic to the human body. It's main purpose is binding itself to harmful radiation caused by sunlight which helps dampen UV rays to a tolerable level for living organisms on the planet. All of this occurs in the stratosphere way above our little heads. Not at earths surface. These machines may potentially dampen SOME human scent and can be effective for scent elimination on clothing if used inside a bag for extended periods of time at high enough levels of concentration. But the use of an ozone machine as a scent blocker in the outdoors is like peeing in an ocean. by the time a chemical reaction has taken place to bind to the gasses and by-products released by the human body, they have already traveled a distance that would deem this product ineffective. Especially with its use in an outside environment where gasses disperse exponentially. In other words, it's like trying to throw a dump truck full of feathers into the wind and expecting some magical device to capture all the feathers individually before they all blow away. It's not realistic. It is being advertised as if it were the ghostbusters muon pack. The amount of ozone it would take to effectively neutralize the scent of your body caused by gasses and by products released by the human body (not talking about breaking wind here) into an ambient atmosphere such as the outdoors would be extremely toxic and dangerous. The product claims to abide by the standards of OSHA, NIOSH and EPA, yet none of these organizations approve ozone "cleansing" products because they are deemed unsafe. They simply have standards of what is deemed an unsafe amount of ozone based off of parts per million. This is beside the fact that ozone DOES NOT ELIMINATE ODORS, but rather deadens the scent receptors of biological organisms. In other words, it is doing the same exact thing as your scent blocker or cover scent, just in a more expensive and much less effective method. The by products caused by combustion of carbon based materials (such as wood) have similar effects of binding to by products as ozone does. The difference is carbon based olfactory (scent) receptor blockers are stable compounds that will be non reactive without an extreme source of energy. ozone is an unstable compound and will only be effective until another stable molecule with a an ionic attraction to oxygen comes along. The ozone will react and become other products such as water molecules, hydrogen gas, oxides, sulfur dioxide(toxic to humans) Along with many other oxygen based molecule.
Think I will just stick with hunting the wind lol

I do use ever calm and wash my cloths with scent killer gold and spray down I know I can smell my cloths when I am done washing I assume the deer can do and maybe don't relate it to human scent. Does the Ozonics actually work that you mount in the tree.. ?

I don't think Ozonics can put out enough ozone to cover your entire scent that you put out. I do use ozone generators to clean my clothes inside totes, but I spend 40 bucks instead of 200 plus on the scent crusher.

Scent crusher is a marketing genius. You can buy comparable products on Amazon for a fraction of the cost. Like anything deer related, the price goes WAY up. Commercial grade ozone room cleaner for $60 vs the tiny room cleaner deal from scent crusher..... Look it up. ;)

Reactions: arm
Scent crusher is a marketing genius. You can buy comparable products on Amazon for a fraction of the cost. Like anything deer related, the price goes WAY up. Commercial grade ozone room cleaner for $60 vs the tiny room cleaner deal from scent crusher..... Look it up. ;)
You are very correct on that statement. I've been contemplating on buying a room cleaning for the shop for 65$ on Amazon. I have no interest in using it for hunting just to help clean odors.
65$ isn't a big issue to spend for this unit but do they really work on curbing odors?

You are very correct on that statement. I've been contemplating on buying a room cleaning for the shop for 65$ on Amazon. I have no interest in using it for hunting just to help clean odors.
65$ isn't a big issue to spend for this unit but do they really work on curbing odors?

the units have been used in the fire and flood restoration field for years, so I have to believe they do work. I bought the $65 commercial grade 4,500 mg unit.

I agree Scent Crusher is a marketing genius. I don't personally see a problem with that. They certainly aren't the first company to market products to hunters that were already commercially available for other applications. In the age of the internet and social media people are more than capable of doing their own research on a product. Whether it is a Scent Crusher unit or something you put together yourself, I absolutely know that ozone helps. This is my 2nd season using it (Scent Crusher) and I can say with 100% confidence I have seen a difference in how deer react when they are downwind of me. Just last night, I had 2 does come to 5 yards directly downwind of me. They put their noses in the air and were clearly trying hard to smell "something". The something they were smelling was the ozone, and the deer did not equate it to danger and went about their business. I am fanatical about my scent control anyway. I put every piece of my gear I took in the woods through my Scent crusher unit before I went hunting, and still sprayed down twice, once at the truck and again in the tree, and even with that I never hunt a stand with a bad wind. I'm not going to try to use fancy words to say what ozone does or does not do. All I will say is that I know it works.

the units have been used in the fire and flood restoration field for years, so I have to believe they do work. I bought the $65 commercial grade 4,500 mg unit.
Well I going to pull the trigger on one. It will be a business expense which doesn't hurt. I'll post on how the unit preforming at a later date

I bought a scent crusher closet last fall: Amazon had free shipping and nearly 70% off. No idea how but I took advantage quickly.

I have about $60 in the closet. Even if the ozone did absolutely nothing the closet is incredibly convenient for storing my hunting clothes. That being said I do feel confident the scent crusher has made a difference. The buck I killed last week was DIRECTLY down wind for several minutes, he knew something wasn't right but still committed to closing the distance.

I bought a scent crusher closet last fall: Amazon had free shipping and nearly 70% off. No idea how but I took advantage quickly.

I have about $60 in the closet. Even if the ozone did absolutely nothing the closet is incredibly convenient for storing my hunting clothes. That being said I do feel confident the scent crusher has made a difference. The buck I killed last week was DIRECTLY down wind for several minutes, he knew something wasn't right but still committed to closing the distance.
Can you put your body in it with your head out the zipper? Semi serious question:)

I looked at getting one for my basement, for the musty smell in the older part. I looked at some commercial versions used in restaurants. Not to beat a dead horse but they did not use them when people were present, and it also talked about expecting degrading of synthetic fabrics and rubber components. I am sure they work. Not sure what damage they cause, alot to read

I have a cheap unit bought off Amazon. We worked in a fire damaged house and a bunch of flood houses this summer and I got to talking with the cleaning company. Ozone definitely works from the results I saw and I started asking them questions and the units they had available were more commercial units but they steered me in the right direction. Mounted it to a big tote with the hose running inside.

I looked at getting one for my basement, for the musty smell in the older part. I looked at some commercial versions used in restaurants. Not to beat a dead horse but they did not use them when people were present, and it also talked about expecting degrading of synthetic fabrics and rubber components. I am sure they work. Not sure what damage they cause, alot to read

Look up Global Plasma Solutions on the web, they produce cold plasma devices that fit multiple situations. I have one that fits in my furnace blower. Also look up UV light air purifiers as well, I have one in my other furnace. Both work well in my opinion but the UV light bulbs have to be replaced every 1-2 years. Both units are designed to kill odors, viruses, mold, VOC’s etc. Fry bacon turn the tstat to fan on and in 20 minutes smell is gone. Not sure that this is a hunting clothes solution but a musty basement smell it does the trick.

Look up Global Plasma Solutions on the web, they produce cold plasma devices that fit multiple situations. I have one that fits in my furnace blower. Also look up UV light air purifiers as well, I have one in my other furnace. Both work well in my opinion but the UV light bulbs have to be replaced every 1-2 years. Both units are designed to kill odors, viruses, mold, VOC’s etc. Fry bacon turn the tstat to fan on and in 20 minutes smell is gone. Not sure that this is a hunting clothes solution but a musty basement smell it does the trick.

Why would you want to kill bacon smell?o_O

The Mrs sent me a text Friday night that the ozone room cleaner came. When I got home Saturday afternoon I had to try it out. I set it for a 1 1/2 hour clean. About 20 minutes later before we left I stuck my head in the shop Woo it was rocking and man I couldn’t close the door fast enough.
What they say about not breathing the ozone I believe it. If in the room to long the chance of pushing daisies could happen!
This morning no odors of any kind reports says the it smells like chlorine but I think it also smells similar to bleach. After being in there this afternoon I didn’t even notice the smell it produced. For 70$ I’m pretty impressed with the results so far.
I added a pop can so you can get a idea on the size.
4E4D404F-6D67-47C9-8FAC-7D1CD405311B.jpeg
51CBFD93-F014-4E8B-8BDF-E0F897231B90.jpeg

^ same unit I have. I built a "quarantined" fully-enclosed room in the corner of my barn. Room is 12x18ish. heated, water, dedicated scent free washer dryer, hunting closet. Every piece of gear that goes to woods is in that room now with that ozone generator.

^ same unit I have. I built a "quarantined" fully-enclosed room in the corner of my barn. Room is 12x18ish. heated, water, dedicated scent free washer dryer, hunting closet. Every piece of gear that goes to woods is in that room now with that ozone generator.
I first thought this was overboard, not going to lie. But if you think about, and have the space, not hard or really that expensive to set up. Question for you. How long do you soak the room and do you do it the night before a hunt or the morning of? How long do you run the unit (i have basically the same thing)? What breakdown of materials have you noticed?

I've started using this on my clothing and to help smells in my truck since it drive to most spots. I have elastic suspenders and elastic bands on my 'bino buddies' and both are now weak and twice as long as they once were. With that said...deer that get down wind definitely still smell me...however they are back to normal after 15 seconds of smelling. I'm sold on its effectiveness of me not smelling of danger. I'm not sold on it making me smell of nothing, clearly I'm not ready to hunt bad winds but I do feel good about getting into spots where you just have to give up deer from one direction.

I first thought this was overboard, not going to lie. But if you think about, and have the space, not hard or really that expensive to set up. Question for you. How long do you soak the room and do you do it the night before a hunt or the morning of? How long do you run the unit (i have basically the same thing)? What breakdown of materials have you noticed?

I've started using this on my clothing and to help smells in my truck since it drive to most spots. I have elastic suspenders and elastic bands on my 'bino buddies' and both are now weak and twice as long as they once were. With that said...deer that get down wind definitely still smell me...however they are back to normal after 15 seconds of smelling. I'm sold on its effectiveness of me not smelling of danger. I'm not sold on it making me smell of nothing, clearly I'm not ready to hunt bad winds but I do feel good about getting into spots where you just have to give up deer from one direction.

Generally when I come in at night I hang my gear back up, turn unit on for 30-40 min and walk out. Come back next morning ready to go. I still wash everything that touches my skin every time out. Maybe that is overboard, idk. But, that's my routine. Outer layers get hung up. Base layers go to washer. I have multiple base layers so when washer is full I run it and restock closet.

this isn't a fool proof system, but it sure seems to help. I've had a lot of questions about "room". I'll shoot video or something.

My bino buddies (scheels brand) are also twice as long as before. Maybe it is ozone, maybe not. My old ones did same thing without ozone... maybe it took longer. Other than that, I don't notice anything other than do NOT go in room when running. You will be coughing for a while.

Generally when I come in at night I hang my gear back up, turn unit on for 30-40 min and walk out. Come back next morning ready to go. I still wash everything that touches my skin every time out. Maybe that is overboard, idk. But, that's my routine. Outer layers get hung up. Base layers go to washer. I have multiple base layers so when washer is full I run it and restock closet.

this isn't a fool proof system, but it sure seems to help. I've had a lot of questions about "room". I'll shoot video or something.

My bino buddies (scheels brand) are also twice as long as before. Maybe it is ozone, maybe not. My old ones did same thing without ozone... maybe it took longer. Other than that, I don't notice anything other than do NOT go in room when running. You will be coughing for a while.
Thank you!

Top Bottom