Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Safety Harness

MN Hunter

I am looking at getting a new safety harness. Something lighter than the full vest hss harness I have right now. Was looking at the ultra light hss or the muddy. Any pros and cons anyone has had while using these?

I'm sure there's better since I bought mine BUT.... I got the SIMPLE, HSS one, it's black with "seatbelt" clicking things. It's not a vest, it's just SIMPLE straps. All I wanted was strong, simple (not something that turns into tangled mess or takes a while to put on) & light weight & I'm happy with mine. Hated those old bulky vests or tangled messes of harnesses. Or the ones you had to take a few mins to connect up.

Don't know anything about those, but check out a rock climbing harness as well and see what you think. $50 bucks, extremely simple and no more coming to full draw and hitting the strap with your draw elbow. Only downside is you attach from the front, so when you layer up you gotta run your line through your zipper. Lol

I just ordered a SB spider speed harness so it will clip in my coat. I've never worn one before and thought I better start. When I get it in the mail and use it a few times I'll let you know my thoughts. I bought it off of Ebay for $75

Well guys I used my SB spider speed harness and it's very comfortable. The only dislike I might have is it's heavy. I don't realize it once I have it on so not a deal breaker. I've only used it one morning so that's my first impression. If it keeps me from possibly spending the rest of my life in a wheel chair than well worth the $75 I spent.

And then you get the email TODAY from DNR where guy from Indianola fell out of stand. strap that held stand up broke. one year it decomposed. Why I have lines up to my stand and I'm working on getting chains on em & put new straps on yearly. BE SAFE!

And then you get the email TODAY from DNR where guy from Indianola fell out of stand. strap that held stand up broke. one year it decomposed. Why I have lines up to my stand and I'm working on getting chains on em & put new straps on yearly. BE SAFE!
Makes me sick to think about. And how it could be me the very next time out. I think the clear move is to invest in safelines

Makes me sick to think about. And how it could be me the very next time out. I think the clear move is to invest in safelines
That was me about 10 years ago :( Idiot. Putting up a stand in summer, shattered arm/wrist and broke part of back. Healed & I'm not paralyzed and that was 30'!!!! Took me one purchase to have a massive case of safety lines ordered after that. Obviously cheaper to make em BUT most guys just don't & get lazy. GET EM!

Gonna hold off on getting a new one until next year. So the old hss will have to do. I agree on the lifelines. I have purchased over 15 the last few years. They are on all my stands. I had some very close calls in the past and it's worth the extra money purchasing lifelines.

And as you age you'll probably get away from strap on tree stands. To much hassle. Might be from being a lineman for 38 years. Trying to get away from working in a tree. Ladder stands with life lines and blinds for me. Back surgery has changed my way of thinking for the good.

Well guys I used my SB spider speed harness and it's very comfortable. The only dislike I might have is it's heavy. I don't realize it once I have it on so not a deal breaker. I've only used it one morning so that's my first impression. If it keeps me from possibly spending the rest of my life in a wheel chair than well worth the $75 I spent.

I am on my second season with the Tree Spider and I like it.

Do you guys make your lifelines or just buy the?
Goatman, I’m also a lineman. 16 years
I bought a dozen x-stand brand lines for $20 a piece. I thought that price was good enough vs making my own (although everyone comes with a carabiner which technically wouldn't need if you just have one on you harness)

I bought a dozen x-stand brand lines for $20 a piece. I thought that price was good enough vs making my own (although everyone comes with a carabiner which technically wouldn't need if you just have one on you harness)
I buy mine also. Don't go cheap on the rope required to save your life. Meaning if you do your own research the breaking point. If nothing else think of family members who will have to take care of you if you live. Had a young co-worker who even had his safety harness on had a tree stand give way that was only a year old and his face didn't look pretty. He knows it would have been much worse if he hadn't had his belt on.

Guys watch Menard's. They run pretty good sales on different brands of lifelines. I think I have picked up 3 different brands there. All seem to be great quality. Sale price is very well worth it. Buy one for every stand. Won't be disappointed. I think it is the muddy line that has 2 attachment slide ropes for those of you with double stands taking a kid up. Please spend money for a good harness for your kid too.

If anybody has figured out a good way to use these lifelines in conjunction with hanging a stand let me know. My way seems to double the time it takes to hang a stand but it is safe...

If anybody has figured out a good way to use these lifelines in conjunction with hanging a stand let me know. My way seems to double the time it takes to hang a stand but it is safe...

Generally when hanging a stand, if you want to stay connected to the tree the whole time, you use a lineman's rope/belt. That's way easier and safer than trying to work a lifeline up a tree.

I just bought my first lifelines last night. Hanging a stand on Sunday and realized how much of a pain it was going to be if I had to carry a second lineman's belt and double strap myself and undo one to get past a large forked limb. The tree also leans back towards me when climbing. I will be putting them on all my setups from now on and use my lineman's belt while hanging the stand, I only use one stand.

Top Bottom