Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Barometric Pressure

Mr.BuckBuster

What is the huge deal about barometric pressure? How does it effect the deer and what about it effects the deer? What's the ideal range of barometric pressure?

generally barometric pressure changes with fronts moving through. just pay attention to the weather and hunt cold fronts, like 15-30 degree temp drops, not little 5 degree swings. If it's november, just hunt any time you can. Archery hunting cold fronts mostly applies to early season, which I don't have much experience with. It works well in November too, but anything can happen in November so I don't stay home just because the weather isn't cooperating.

The does always get bred in November regardless of temperature or barometric pressure or moon phase. Lol

October it’s a big deal, IMO. Drop in temp and rise in pressure- deer move earlier. See the post on October front hunting. Video is actually really good in that post. I do not hunt warm days in October if temp goes up and it’s hot. Temp dips- pressure up or both- I’m out and see mature deer during daylight. Pressure- think of it this way.... when a storm is coming for example, pressure goes up. That triggers deer to feed and want to move. Kinda like low temps or a bunch of snow trigger deer to hit food. Hot & low pressure- deer just bed & sit around

Now- agree with above in November. The tough parts of November though..... those years where it gets HOT during rut - movement just goes way down. The does still get bred but movement during day is hurt drastically. I’d probably still hunt “nov 8” with “75 degrees and low pressure” but it would be a whole lot better if it was 30 degrees with rising pressure imo.

The does always get bred in November regardless of temperature or barometric pressure or moon phase. Lol

True! :) But just an FYI, we have a doe with a fawn that is still well spotted at this time. Given the small size of the fawn and the still present spots, I think this doe may have escaped the bucks in November and then got it in December or January. :)

typically you wanna catch the barometer above 30. Especially early season and before the rut. As they mentioned, its going to coincide with cold fronts blowing through. Wunderground.com has a great 10 day forecast that shows barometric pressure as well. Its my favorite for weather forecasts.

Reactions: arm
typically you wanna catch the barometer above 30. Especially early season and before the rut. As they mentioned, its going to coincide with cold fronts blowing through. Wunderground.com has a great 10 day forecast that shows barometric pressure as well. Its my favorite for weather forecasts.
Shows pressure 10 days out?!

Wunderground.com also has historical weather recordings.

Nice to match up with trail camera pictures to see how movement coincides with wind direction, pressure, etc.

I have found that it's not so much what the barometer reads but when it changes. Rising barometer seems to trigger alot especially above the 30 mark and coupled with a rising moon during daylight. Low pressure associated with rain or snow also gets deer on the move. Anytime you have a string of days that are the same the day it changes is a good day, if it's high pressure and heat maybe not as much. Also remember deer see better and smell better on wet and cloudy days. Bright sunlight hampers there ability to see as well somewhat. Not sure if it makes any difference? I remember a week I was to have off back almost 10 years ago and I delayed because of 65-75 degree highs, had several mature bucks on cam cruising midday that week, lockdown the next when I was out. It happens regardless of weather, but weather dictates alot of what we get to see.

I have found that it's not so much what the barometer reads but when it changes. Rising barometer seems to trigger alot especially above the 30 mark and coupled with a rising moon during daylight. Low pressure associated with rain or snow also gets deer on the move. Anytime you have a string of days that are the same the day it changes is a good day, if it's high pressure and heat maybe not as much. Also remember deer see better and smell better on wet and cloudy days. Bright sunlight hampers there ability to see as well somewhat. Not sure if it makes any difference? I remember a week I was to have off back almost 10 years ago and I delayed because of 65-75 degree highs, had several mature bucks on cam cruising midday that week, lockdown the next when I was out. It happens regardless of weather, but weather dictates alot of what we get to see.

I couldn't agree with you more! Felt like I wrote this post as I was reading it!

Top Bottom