Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Improving Website??? - Ideas, input, suggestions.....

We need to drive traffic and solve these issues. The idea is: attracting new members but the “right members”. I’m great having beginners on here, etc. Wanting to learn and share. I always want this site to be one of the elite for “knowledgeable and passionate hunters though” - whether u on learning or teaching side or both. Which most always learn new things here - I sure do. I could do without some of the idiots in the general public and they likely should stay on a site thats “amateur”. I’m not talking down or I don’t mean to.... I’m simply saying - the guys that have came here in the past “usually” bring a far higher level of: knowledge, maturity, desire to learn, experience, success and have a love for Iowa, habitat, mature bucks, etc. “most” the offensive idiots get weeded. Now it’s just time to regrow the groups of guys that are similar to the vast majority that’s on here now. Elite group of stand up guys & night/day vs other sites.

Whatever walk you are in your journey- if u have something to share, teach, learn or have genuine fun or debate and ur IQ is higher than amount or fingers you have - we welcome new folks!!! Want em. Appreciate them.

This site is GOING to grow but grow CORRECTLY. With knowledge, niches, passion, love of Iowa and outdoors at its core. $ will never be a defining force & motivation here. More to come on this later but the site is growing, adapting & changing for The better. It will be a NICHE website unlike any others - growing Many of the things that have made it successful in past.
Good stuff y’all. Keeper coming!

Be careful with that, only allowing a certain "elite" will do the opposite of what you are looking for. That turns this place from a forum to a blog, where only a select few are listened to or allowed to post. I get what you are saying, it's just a fine line to tip-toe when you are trying to increase traffic to a "public" forum.
Maybe a better approach would be a sub-forum for "newbies" where they can ask the beginner questions without cluttering up the other areas with the "it's october 5th and I just saw a 115" buck walking with 2 does, is the rut on?" type questions.

And I know it's been said already, but tying in with social media is a must if you want to increase membership and traffic flow. The FB and Instagram pages are flush with members, and there have been some amazing harvest pics getting posted on those sites. That platform has become the hands-down go to for a lot of people.

Love pictures and is why I Instagram. But not a place for solid info. Newbies are great but what the others are referring to are trolls. Pot stirring. Get their kicks out of getting in your head. An actual quote on here. Passion doesn't even begin to describe the thought process and work of many on here. Just need to get some of the old posters on here again. A lot and mean a lot of steam went out the door when Paul Knox (dbltree) passed. He and only he put deer management info out there for free. He taught us a lot. Don't be afraid to talk about your what you are trying. You will not have success with everything you do. Don't be afraid to ask. There are several on here who are willing to try and answer your questions. Might be a private message but a incredible amount of knowledge on here. I for one don't see the Facebook crowd lasting on this forum.

Love pictures and is why I Instagram. But not a place for solid info. Newbies are great but what the others are referring to are trolls. Pot stirring. Get their kicks out of getting in your head. An actual quote on here. Passion doesn't even begin to describe the thought process and work of many on here. Just need to get some of the old posters on here again. A lot and mean a lot of steam went out the door when Paul Knox (dbltree) passed. He and only he put deer management info out there for free. He taught us a lot. Don't be afraid to talk about your what you are trying. You will not have success with everything you do. Don't be afraid to ask. There are several on here who are willing to try and answer your questions. Might be a private message but a incredible amount of knowledge on here. I for one don't see the Facebook crowd lasting on this forum.

I agree, but it will be very tough to get the old band back together to make things like they were 10-12 years ago. Back then I was very active on this site and others under an old username, and forums were crazy busy. A thread you posted on before you went to bed would be buried on the second page by noon the next day. My point is, the forum platform is not the "go to" anymore. Every forum I'm on has the same problem, and it honestly just comes down to a change in society and what is easier for users.

14 years ago I was a recruiter for an organization. Their goal at the time was very similar to what we are trying to do here. Increase numbers and at the same time look at long term stability. To accomplish that for them I didn't focus on potential employees that were nearing retirement, I focused on those just entering the work force in that field. Sure they would need some grooming, but they are the ones that will be around for 20-30 years, not retiring in 5-10. That is the mentality we should be using for this forum.

*edit. And by using the above mentality, you can let the older/wiser more experienced members mold the new younger members into the next generation of mentors.

Last edited:
Let me clarify “elite” as I don’t want to sound rude or it to simply be taken the wrong Way. It’s really, more of a bad choice in words. What I meant or mean by elite with this site....
Start with the fact that the general public of hunters has a lot of “idiots”. I will say that. General public in life is filled with idiots. But - as Simple as this is, here’s a huge class up for people who I’d rather see contribute....
-not your immature whiny negative attack idiots all over any website. Mud slingers and morons who are every day trolls and idiots online. Which, unfortunately, is any other website or comment section anywhere online. Pretty simple - no idiots please.
-guys who love outdoors. Love hunting. Have passion to learn. Guys with little or a lot of knowledge. That would include kids. I used to read magazines and watch VHS hunting videos to learn growing up. I was a horrible hunter but I wanted to learn. I want this site to give back to youth and newer hunters who want to learn. Want newbies to be on here.
-some folks who want to learn about conservation, habitat, what makes Iowa great. Loving the state
-anything on being a successful hunter and enjoying being outdoors (killing or not).
-Maybe tailored more towards folks who are trying to kill “more mature” bucks for their area but ok with those that don’t. As in- most members might not want to shoot a 3 year old but the hunters that do- get congratulated and treated with respect. It’s being passionate about hunting mature bucks but those that don’t- being respectful and kind to those folks too. I started with shooting 1.5 year olds and nothing wrong with that imo.
-guys that want to debate. Disagree with me or anyone else. I WELCOME THIS!!!!!!!!!! No one agrees on most things. I love seeing healthy debate. I love seeing different views. I love it when someone presents information that shows me im wrong. As long as ur not a child and petty baby & rude about it- it’s a great thing to have. I personally will spank a grown man who acts like a child with debating any issue though. I love differing views!!!!!

-elite: anyone with a brain, who is decent, wants to learn or teach, has IQ over 9 & loves hunting and outdoors belongs here. I personally miss all of those categories myself so sorry I’m stuck here ;).

I do love hearing from the true “great hunters” who do shoot Giants. I love seeing pics. I love hearing from their views and I want to learn from them. I sure like reading what others ask as well. I’ll never stop learning and i love seeing great information on this site I simply don’t see elsewhere. That’s going to GROW.

Last edited:
Did I miss an announcement? Is the site sold?
Posted this thread before site was for sale. :) Hopefully some more to come on that front though. Aside from that, why I started this a while ago is simply to get all our heads together to improve something that is a great resource that needs improvement. I've gained so much knowledge and insight from this site as well as what it's stood for, I simply thought.... "I'm dumb, let's get all the brains on here to chime in so we can collectively come up with a list of "TO DO'S" and "TO FIX". " It's gonna happen. Some major changes coming - most of which are mentioned in this thread. This stuff WILL GET DONE. I'm serious, put a check-mark next to most everything we talked about- this will be transformed into ACTION & RESULTS:

ALL COMING DOWN THE ROAD, WILL HAPPEN:
IW gear (at no profit or donated or go to certain causes, etc, etc) - CHECK!
Easier way to post pics - CHECK
APP for phone- CHECK
DBLTREE POST REVIVAL IN SOME FORM OR FASHION: CHECK
Ties to FB & other medias to drive good members HERE: CHECK
IW at Deer Classic: CHECK
Not turning site into $ driven site: CHECK.
Large spectrum of unique Niches, information, contribution that is not found elsewhere or lacking: CHECK.

On and on. However this goes down, with some info & specifics to come later, I can say, I know enough and also care enough that I can say, without saying anything else, these things WILL HAPPEN. As sure as I'll be bowhunting in November, these things and many other of the awesome ideas (I just gave some of examples) will be happening and if there's more to add, love to see it and have it posted. Appreciate all the feedback!!!

I would also like to add that these threads are awesome but remember its almost November...

"RUT DELAY" on the part of us admins and mods starts NOW. =)

I would also like to add that these threads are awesome but remember its almost November...

"RUT DELAY" on the part of us admins and mods starts NOW. =)
Or, all these things will be done in ONE DAY, all completed at once.... On JANUARY 11!!!!!!!

Not sure you can make too many guarantees if the site is for sale. Unless you are the new owners?

Ultimately whoever purchases the site, assuming someone does, will determine what direction this site goes. It might be a far different animal than what we are envisioning today.

Not sure you can make too many guarantees if the site is for sale. Unless you are the new owners?

Ultimately whoever purchases the site, assuming someone does, will determine what direction this site goes. It might be a far different animal than what we are envisioning today.

So- hopefully now - this one issue alleviated!?!??!? Couldn’t say anything til official so I had to be “sly”. So- direction listed above and ONGOING feedback will be what “animal” it becomes. ;). Great members here so only going to build upon all the opportunities, requests & feedback from the members. these above items will get done - GUARANTEE IT! :). Thx for feedback and please keep it coming!!!

So- hopefully now - this one issue alleviated!?!??!? Couldn’t say anything til official so I had to be “sly”. So- direction listed above and ONGOING feedback will be what “animal” it becomes. ;). Great members here so only going to build upon all the opportunities, requests & feedback from the members. these above items will get done - GUARANTEE IT! :). Thx for feedback and please keep it coming!!!
Soooo, I guess I missed it. Did you buy the site?

Promotion!!! We had a Iowa deer Classic a few years ago with no IBA booth!!! I still do not get that!! Biggest gathering of deer hunters in the state and no IBA booth!! Don' t run a organization for your buddies or you'll lose!! Good luck!!

Promotion!!! We had a Iowa deer Classic a few years ago with no IBA booth!!! I still do not get that!! Biggest gathering of deer hunters in the state and no IBA booth!! Don' t run a organization for your buddies or you'll lose!! Good luck!!

Did you mean IBA as in Iowa Bowhunters Association?

Not sure of the year! Been a few ! I know Iowa whitetail had a booth and I questioned one cam about it! It happened! I did'nt imagine it!! Water under etc.!

Again, not saying you're wrong, but every time Iowa Whitetail had a booth the IBA booth was right next to it or just a couple down.

Top Bottom