Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your worst mistake

A friend of mine had something similar happen one time. He shot a buck, I think with a muzzleloader, from about 80 yards out. It dropped like a stone and being a dufus...he either set his gun down and walked out to it or didn't reload. By the time he got up to it, it jumped up and staggered around a little and sprinted off! (I know at least one person was with him that day that watched all of this transpire and laughed hysterically. Unfortunately, I was not with him that day and could only share in the hilarity later, when the story was told to me. :)

At any rate, as best as could be figured...the deer was hit high, over the actual spine...but probably still on the "spinous process". (Which is the vertically oriented bone structure of the spinal column.) The shock of the hit dropped the animal due to a temporary shock to the spinal cord, but since the actual cord was not ruptured, etc, the beast recovered in the 2 minutes or so that it took him to get over to it and then ran off...apparently to live on.

Lol, I have a buddy that was hunting muzzy season with his dad 10-15 years ago and his dad shot a buck and dropped it in its tracks.

They walked up to it and while looking it over noticed it was still breathing but figured it was on its last breath. They set their stuff down, tagged it and started walking back to get the truck.

When they got back to the buck with the truck the buck was on its feet and walking away tagged and all. His dad tried getting back to the gun for a follow up shot but didn't make it before the buck made it back into timber.

They went after him but never seen him again. Never found a drop of blood either. Thought maybe he hit him in the base of the rack and knocked him out lol.

I quit shooting groups when practicing. Shoot one arrow, walk to target, pull and repeat. It slows things down for me and makes me focus on that one shot knowing that's all I have at the moment. This carries over to the field. When it's time to draw back on a live target my focus is on making that one shot count just like in practice. That focus overrides all other distractions. My accuracy has improved greatly and my target panic is non existent. I believe Levi Morgan wrote an article about it, I will see if I can find it.

For me I like some rapid fire when practicing. A number of my kills I literally had seconds to draw and shoot. As tension builds so does the opportunity for movement. I'll even sit in a chair quickly stand draw and shoot. Sometimes the less one thinks about it the better. I've found I can be just as accurate at the distances I'm willing to shoot. (less than 35) When I do have time I talk myself thru every shot in my head. Once I've drawn I'll say to myself one by one if everything is right feeling it as I go. Mouth tab, string on nose tip, correct pin in the center of the sight then I just let it fly as the sight floats over the point of desired impact. When I began bow hunting I tried to hard to hold it in one place. Not important. Very slow movement then hitting the release when the sight is in place is a key for me.

So many to choose from…forgive my length here.

My first shot at a whitetail with a bow (me being the young age of 44 at the time [I grew up rifle hunting mulies out west]). It was just like one of those hunting videos. Spotted a 10 walking through the prairie at about 150 yards, he gets closer and closer (I swear I could hear the music they play in the videos). Steps into the trees and I grunt him over to me. Draw and settle on a lane about 20 yards away, release and BAM! Arrow explodes on a branch. Clear your shooting lanes!

On public land during the rut I had my climbing stand out but only about 17 feet off the ground (best tree I could find). Nothing happening so I figured I would climb down with about 20 minutes of light left and look around. Just got on the ground and heard a branch break. There is a nice 9 about 20 yards away watching me. Sigh… Stay in the damn tree!

I’ve spent the morning watching a HUGE buck in the prairie out in front of me moving does around. He never comes close, but a 140 class buck (probably much smaller, but I’m sticking with that number) gets pushed out by the bigger deer and starts heading my way. At about 60 yards I stand to get ready. I notice that the peep site tubing has come off the site. With my gloves on, I try to reattach it when the arrow falls off the string and clangs on the metal stand. Check your equipment!

On the stand with a 20 mph wind in my face, during the rut. I glance behind me and could immediately see that this nontypical was a shooter and he is moving FAST! Stood, grabbed my bow and drew back, by which time he was on the far side of my food plot right in front of me. Mouth grunted to stop him. Rushed the shot thinking it was 30 yards; it was 40. Just nicked him. He ran about 15 yards and just stood there trying to figure out what happened. Slow down and check the distance!

Tired of not putting down a buck (or any deer) during the archery season. I have a medium sized 10 point at 30 yards that I decided to go ahead and take. There is a small bush in between us, but it is not in the way. However I subconsciously raise my pin and end up hitting him square in the shoulder blade. How can I be sure? I see him on camera two days later with my arrow still stuck. That one REALLY bothers me. If you think that the shot is somehow not good, just wait, don’t make the deer suffer! (Although I’m pretty sure he survived just fine).

ArcheryIA44

I get caught up watching more than hunting. I have got to the point where Shooting one doesn't mean alot to me, shooting the right one does. It has cost me before. I never hold my bow, and I very seldom grab it until I made the decision to try to take a certain buck. Missed a chance to try 27 yd and 30 yd on the same buck the same week due to waiting for a better shot, closer shot. Maybe regret it a little but I would regret making a bad shot alot more.

Lol, I have a buddy that was hunting muzzy season with his dad 10-15 years ago and his dad shot a buck and dropped it in its tracks.

They walked up to it and while looking it over noticed it was still breathing but figured it was on its last breath. They set their stuff down, tagged it and started walking back to get the truck.

When they got back to the buck with the truck the buck was on its feet and walking away tagged and all. His dad tried getting back to the gun for a follow up shot but didn't make it before the buck made it back into timber.

They went after him but never seen him again. Never found a drop of blood either. Thought maybe he hit him in the base of the rack and knocked him out lol.

I had someone tell me a story once where they were out deer hunting and had knocked down a couple and then drove out across the field to collect them. After tossing a couple "dead" deer in the back of the truck, they got back in the cab and started to drive back out of the field when one of them stood up in the bed and thrashed around enough that it damaged the rear window of the truck and leaped out of truck and jogged away from them. Yikes! If I recall, I think they were able to dispatch the escapee, but it sounded like quite a scene there for a few minutes. :)

• Deleted by Wapsi Tree Rat
Show…
  • Deleted by Wapsi Tree Rat
Show…
hurrying shot & over calling in general as many of you have stated BUT my biggest regret is rattling in a solid older heavy 8 I would have loved to had. He came in on a trot. I had him at under 20 yds, head down, behind tree, time to draw....clink clank . I had a grunt call that you strap around your arm. when drawing back it came off and bounced on my climber -- buck looks up, turns to trot, beller at him and he pauses at i thought 35 quartering hard and i let it fly. Problem was, he was almost 45 and i missed low! threw it and never used that call again!

Rushing shots, you have way more time than you think once you stop a deer. I used to be in a hurry thinking the deer would take off running.
I agree 100% on this one .. Wish I had a few shots back :) , Also a big mistake was worrying to much about antlers score instead of killing a mature deer let some good ones walk I regret..

Have to laugh I as read through this thread because I have made most of these mistakes over the years (never had a deer wake up in the truck !). I suppose the one that haunts me though is not waiting long enough after the shot before tracking. Lost one of my best bucks by following too soon. Have gotten better about that over the years but it is still hard sometimes!!

Shotgun hunting many years ago, my dad dropped two bucks in 1 shot... tagged em, tossed em in the truck, drove 7 miles where the group hangs deer. The group was all there (at the time 20+ guys) and we pulled the deer out of the truck. First one hits the ground, gets up and staggers his way out of the group and runs all the way to the woods. Never saw him again...There went the tag...

Shotgun hunting many years ago, my dad dropped two bucks in 1 shot... tagged em, tossed em in the truck, drove 7 miles where the group hangs deer. The group was all there (at the time 20+ guys) and we pulled the deer out of the truck. First one hits the ground, gets up and staggers his way out of the group and runs all the way to the woods. Never saw him again...There went the tag...

I ALWAYS gut any deer in our group FAST. Because you never know :)

Reactions: arm
"I quit shooting groups when practicing. Shoot one arrow, walk to target, pull and repeat. It slows things down for me and makes me focus on that one shot knowing that's all I have at the moment. This carries over to the field. When it's time to draw back on a live target my focus is on making that one shot count just like in practice."

While I cannot say my target panic episodes have diminished 100%, I do employ this same method of practice. At most, I shoot maybe 10 shots a session - one at a time.

Worst mistake I made, and continue to make is not having my bow in my hands. I don't know how many times I have been frozen still, trying to get my bow off it's hanger just to watch a deer amble away unscathed.

I see a lot of "got out of the stand about 20 minutes early figuring nothing was going to happen". I don't understand this at all? The thought of getting out of the stand and missing the last 20 minutes is like the most bizzare idea to me. I realize this is a thread of mistakes, but I know so many people that do this exact thing and they all have stories of how it was a bad idea! Just don't do it!

My worst mistake was not doing all day sits sooner. It took me years of busting deer on the way to the stand at midday like 1PM before I realized that maybe the deer are just moving through there during the middle of the day. Since starting to sit all day, I would bet I see at least 40% as much action as I do mornings and evenings, and killed a few nice ones between 10AM and 2PM.

I see a lot of "got out of the stand about 20 minutes early figuring nothing was going to happen". I don't understand this at all? The thought of getting out of the stand and missing the last 20 minutes is like the most bizzare idea to me. I realize this is a thread of mistakes, but I know so many people that do this exact thing and they all have stories of how it was a bad idea! Just don't do it!

My worst mistake was not doing all day sits sooner. It took me years of busting deer on the way to the stand at midday like 1PM before I realized that maybe the deer are just moving through there during the middle of the day. Since starting to sit all day, I would bet I see at least 40% as much action as I do mornings and evenings, and killed a few nice ones between 10AM and 2PM.
One fella I know gets down early because he's afraid to walk in the dark. Absolutely no end to the jokes at his expense. I agreed on all day sits.

This mistake still haunts me today ... not cutting key shoot lanes within arms reach of the stand. I still can see that arrow deflect up close and the arrow sailing over a 200" at 10 yards.

Also wish I was a bit more selective early on in my taxidermist.

My son would like to add a little something to this old thread after he made a horrible mistake today. He is 15 yrs old and had his first bow kill last year, a nice 2 1/2 8 pt.
Today he was in full draw at 20 yds on a massive and wide 8 pt when he noticed his goof. I will just quote him....

"If you're going to put field tips on for a little practice shooting, you have to remember to put broad heads back on your arrows."

Last edited:
My son would like to add a little something to this old thread after he made a horrible mistake today. He is 15 yrs old and had his first bow kill last year, a nice 2 1/2 8 pt.
Today he was in full draw at 20 yds on a massive and wide 8 pt when he noticed his goof. I will just quote him....

"If you're going to put field tips on for a little practice shooting, you have to remember to put broad heads back on your arrows."
. 45 years from now, he will still remember that one!!:D

Top Bottom