Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Land 8

Well, my best friend and I got drawn for zone 5 this year, and I must say we had a great trip! I shot this 8 on public land on Nov 7th, he came in to a grunt call, and read the script perfectly, 25 yd broadside shot, and it was a done deal.

This was my first trip to hunt to Iowa and I can definitely say that it won't be my last. Everyone was so courteous and nice, and that goes for residents and non-residents alike. The hospitality was great, and I enjoyed some great conversations with several locals. Although my friend didn't tag out, he had several opportunities, and says that he is ready to do it again

854d3ab8b3425fce9a19eaa06e3a4e61.jpg

Interesting story with this deer, when I recovered him, he had a knot low on his left side, just behind his left shoulder. On dissecting the knot when cleaning him, he had a 2 blade (traditional style) broadhead in his side that had almost exited. All wounds had healed, and it was obvious he had been shot during a prior season, and exhibited zero signs of ever being injured.

Just a way cool story to go along with my first Iowa buck!

08335fc3b0046973908c77701723f505.jpg

Congrats on a dandy buck...public or private!

First buck I shot that was worthy of mounting had a broadhead buried just below his spine. Lots of scar tissue, etc. around it and like yours, had obviously been there awhile. Congrats again!

NWBuck

Well done! I heard of some deer kills over the years that had broadheads in shoulders, backs and even heads that were healed over from previous hunting seasons. They are amazing animals for sure. I couldn't imagine a human surviving such ordeals, who can run over 100 yards with their heart cut in half....only whitetails!

Nice buck! Pretty crazy how tough these whitetails can be!

Well done! I heard of some deer kills over the years that had broadheads in shoulders, backs and even heads that were healed over from previous hunting seasons. They are amazing animals for sure. I couldn't imagine a human surviving such ordeals, who can run over 100 yards with their heart cut in half....only whitetails!

I agree, they have to be some of the toughest animals on the planet. Even with a great double lung shot, this buck went on a 150 yd death run.

Top Bottom