Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SC Iowa- ELK on Camera!!!!

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
Now that I have spoken with the DNR, I feel comfortable posting these pics. This is on a new farm I just bought. Never in a million years would I think I would get an ELK on camera in Iowa. Since everyone will ask....Clarke County.

Amazingly crazy. Apparently this one has been spotted before 20 miles away. They cannot seem to locate him.

What is the rule in iowa? Is it identified species in Iowa or could you shoot one like a mountain lion?

That dun just beez a big ol deer!! Ol mossy horns - born in 1973 we figer - when Cletis furst seen em - he dun b bout dat big now too, pry biggar than ur deer dare.
Eder dat or dem Govment planes always beez droppin everytin frum Bares to Wulvs to Coogers to Sascatch to Cobras.... Me an Cletis seen em droppin crates with parashoots & all sorts them critters be letting loose all ov'r Ierwa last years. Still member last time DNR did dat - SAME NITE - dat's when Cletis got taken up on dat Space Saucer and all dem probes & stuff inside his rear end, before day broughts him back

Eder One er other: Big Ol Deer OR Govment droppin em in wid them air planes - no question bout dat dare, 107% sure & em pitures dont lie.

If that rascal was 20 miles away. Chances are - he’s gone soon. Only one day of pics?
So... did they have any idea on whether it was wild or high fence btw?

If that rascal was 20 miles away. Chances are - he’s gone soon. Only one day of pics?
So... did they have any idea on whether it was wild or high fence btw?

20 miles away this spring which was last report. But, yes, most likely gone, but ya never know. CO has to send the pic to the state vet and get the green light to "dispatch" if seen. No pens have claimed the animal (no ear tags either) and the DNR is at a loss of where this critter came from. Basically no one has a clue.

That was the only day of pictures. They were wrapping up corn harvest surrounding property on 15th so IF he stays in area, decent chance I get him on cam again as I have most of the cover.

Might be the same bull that was in harrison county last week....seems like we get 1 or 2 critters like this wandering aimlessly every year. almost always young males, we had a bull moose in our area last year and have had young muley bucks a couple times. If it’s wild closest place I can think of is the fort riley area in kansas. there are also reintroduced populations in missouri and minnesota i believe.

Last edited:
I believe this is the same bull that showed up on trail cams the next evening, 11/11, in Warren county.

The Harrison county bull has been around for a month or so. My son saw him by Mondamin east of the Mo River early October, then last Friday he was in the bean field by where he works at Woodhouse Auto in Missouri Valley. An hour later my friend on his way here to hunt almost hit him crossing I-29. DNR is trying to kill him but can't catch up to him yet.

Here is the pic ...
2d96ec2c5561e9e450cd3e93f72276e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom