Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 2001 Youth tags

Should SF 2001 changes to youth deer season/tags be approved?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill would take away season restrictions on youth tags. The explanation at the end of the bill describes it nicely. The only thing it doesn't spell out, in my opinion, is method of take. I can see the bill being interpreted that a youth can use what ever method of take in what ever season. Such as they could use a shotgun in early ML or late ML or any weapon in archery season. I don't see where that is clearly defined, but maybe it is defined somewhere other than 483A.7

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=SF2001&ga=87

I think that is the great thing about the turkey youth tags. Kids can hunt until it's filled. I don't even buy turkey tags anymore. I just get my boys tags and hunt with them until they are tagged out. It's great for promoting hunting in youth in my opinion. I am totally in favor of the bill but I agree that they need to state only guns that are in season to clear up possible confusion.

I am in favor and think the last sentence of the explanation implies only using a weapon that is approved for that season. But, it could certainly made more clear by adding a sentence that explicitly states it.

I remember when I was young and had a youth only season...I will get criticized heavily for this, but wish it would go back to that. Teaches kids that there is an end to a season, not every season can be successful, etc. But again, thats my opinion. I know its harder and harder to get youth involved, and its great avenue, but not sure I agree with the tag just being an open tag. In the last 2 weeks, I have seen 6 and 7 year olds harvest their 2nd and 3rd bucks of the season..I just find it very far fetched IMO...dont roast me to hard for this

I think that would be great to add any season. I’ve never understood why the youth tag isn’t allowed during Archery season.

I remember when I was young and had a youth only season...I will get criticized heavily for this, but wish it would go back to that. Teaches kids that there is an end to a season, not every season can be successful, etc. But again, thats my opinion. I know its harder and harder to get youth involved, and its great avenue, but not sure I agree with the tag just being an open tag. In the last 2 weeks, I have seen 6 and 7 year olds harvest their 2nd and 3rd bucks of the season..I just find it very far fetched IMO...dont roast me to hard for this
In my case Owen wants to hunt youth and archery, but his old man is a cheap ass and only lets him pick one. He always goes with Archery so he has longer to hunt

I know exactly what you're saying. I voted no but don't really have strong feelings on this one. Still have one in the house that qualifies on the youth tag.
I do like the way it is set up now. It used to be if I/they wanted them to hunt a MZ season or one of the shotguns I'd just buy them a tag. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things it's not much money but it has the potential to take away a bit of revenue from the DNR.

Is Chapman the same guy that pushed the straight wall rifle bill for his kid/grandkid? Maybe they didn't get one this year? LOL

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this might be the work of the Xbow lobby.

I have similar feelings. Overall, I love that there are youth seasons and I also support some amount of flexibility to allow kids to hunt on a tag when they are also involved in other kid things such as sports, music, church activities, etc. BUT, it is also plenty OK for Junior to NOT fill every tag IMO...because it is hunting, not just shooting. I took my boys hunting often at very early ages...BUT, they weren't the shooters when they were say 5 or 6 years old. My oldest son started "hunting" with a pocket knife on turkey hunts with me. :) Guess what, he never got a turkey with that knife, but his mind was racing at times wondering how he was going to be able to knife a "big time strutter". It was still great fun and great memories and he didn't have to kill an animal to participate at the start. That came later...after he had "earned" his way a little. Let their imagination work for a while I say, let them "earn" the right to take game, at least in some manner.

When the boys were old enough, in my opinion, to be shooting game...they had to help trim shooting lanes, build a make shift blind, etc...THEN they could hunt/shoot. While I think it is super for dads, and moms, to take their kids with them...I think we sometimes advance them so fast to trigger pullers that the kids don't get to experience the downers that are character builders and may get frustrated when they aren't dropping big game in short order. Those are just a few of my thoughts...:)

Is Chapman the same guy that pushed the straight wall rifle bill for his kid/grandkid?

You made me curious enough that I looked it up. He was not a sponsor of the straight wall bill, the bill started in the House but he did vote for passage in the Senate. Good question though.

Couldn’t agree more flugge
I had kids once that did the youth season and could only hunt that season with the youth tag. I’m all for promoting hunting but the youngsters need to learn not everyone will get a blue ribbon or get to touch home plate.
With the laws as they are now the youth hunters have it pretty good.

Youth seasons are overrated in my opinion. They opened up youth waterfowl in MN, and all the ducks were pushed off the public and the number of hunters dropped in MN.

They try to add more youth seasons and I guess my question is, "why can't they just hunt with their dad, brother, uncle cousin" it is not like there is a shortage of seasons?

I am split on this one. I never youth hunted because if I youth hunted and shotgun hunted with the family I couldn't legally get a bow tag so I always chose that. Youth tags were only an option from 12-15 for me and only good for that first 16 day season. It is a good opportunity to get them out but it could be hotter than heck or rain all 3 weekends at that time of year and would hate for the kid to get limited opportunities. I also think that we need to teach the youth that not every tag needs to be filled and that seasons have end dates.

Good point on making it the way it was - which is more clear. Youth tag for youth season is clear. Youth tag for any season is clear. The current regulation is unclear (and nearly impossible to enforce). It is to be used for 1 of the other gun seasons, but there really isn't a way to know if the youth hunted gun1 on the youth tag or not when they are hunting gun2. I am good with moving it either direction. If it was youth only, they still have the option to get 2 other tags as the youth tag is a bonus tag.

What I think must be kept is that the youth tag can't be used for party hunting at all.

Unless, I am missing something. If a 6 or 7 year old is harvesting their 3rd buck this year, then one of them needed to be via bow. That is quite an accomplishment.

I think that would be great to add any season. I’ve never understood why the youth tag isn’t allowed during Archery season.

Yes, if the tag can be used for other seasons, seems reasonable to use it for any open season. But, it still needs the mentor requirement. This shouldn't be so a 16 year old can hunt on their own and kill 2 bucks during the rut with a bow.

I just checked the harvest stats for the last year available and the youth success is 33%, while the overall (all methods in all seasons) is 30%, so I don't think this particular change is in any real danger of teaching kids that everyone gets a trophy/ribbon/home run. Two thirds if them are not filling their tag now.

My kids are well beyond this now, but I would certainly risk them feeling a little privileged if it meant a few more days in the field with them when they were young.

I get the "trigger puller" comments and agree with them, but I see more benefit than risk in this one. No matter what the regs say, the experience for the kids will be most impacted by the mentor sitting by their side during the hunts and not what law does or doesn't get passed

Last edited:
I just checked the harvest stats for the last year available and the youth success is 33%, while the overall (all methods in all seasons) is 30%, so I don't think this particular change is in any real danger of teaching kids that everyone gets a trophy/ribbon/home run. Two thirds if them are not filling their tag now.

My kids are well beyond this now, but I would certainly risk them feeling a little privileged if it meant a few more days in the field with them when they were young.

I get the "trigger puller" comments and agree with them, but I see more benefit than risk in this one. No matter what the regs say, the experience for the kids will be most impacted by the mentor sitting by their side during the hunts and not what law does it doesn't get passed

Fair enough...but youths can still buy any of the otherwise available tags too. As it stands now, they have the most flexibility of all hunters.

I’ll pick out the “6-7 year olds” in this. My boys are 9&10, not a chance in you know what they can possibly hold a gun up to shoot or even be able to put the stock in their shoulder and reach the trigger and see through the sights. So I’m really becoming doubtful when a pic shows up of a really young kid with a deer at their feet. The ole Red Rider in the backyard is plenty for another year or two. Off track here I know but I’ve taken them out to shoot my pellet and 22 quite a bit the past 1.5 years thinking I could take them hunting soon, finally just said the heck with it and bought the Red Riders this Xmas for them. Not even close to being able to actually shoot a deer!

I’ll pick out the “6-7 year olds” in this. My boys are 9&10, not a chance in you know what they can possibly hold a gun up to shoot or even be able to put the stock in their shoulder and reach the trigger and see through the sights. So I’m really becoming doubtful when a pic shows up of a really young kid with a deer at their feet. The ole Red Rider in the backyard is plenty for another year or two. Off track here I know but I’ve taken them out to shoot my pellet and 22 quite a bit the past 1.5 years thinking I could take them hunting soon, finally just said the heck with it and bought the Red Riders this Xmas for them. Not even close to being able to actually shoot a deer!

I agree with you that many 6 and 7 year olds cannot safely hold, carry and shoot a real gun on their own. However, if an adult sets it all up, does all the work, puts a gun on a sled and in some cases, even aims for them...a very young child can pull the trigger. I personally started with a bb gun when I was 10 and the next year I carried a single shot .410...unloaded for a while before I was allowed to carry a loaded gun. Some kids could start earlier than that, every kid is different, but by and large that seemed about right to me. That timeline is about what I let my boys do then too and that worked out fine.

I took them with me often before that, but they were along to watch, perhaps use the rattling antlers or the box call, etc, those were great, great times for us. There was plenty of time later for them to step up to being the actual trigger man. All that being said...if it were just up to me...I would probably have youth tags be good from age 10-15. If someone wants to take their child earlier than that...OK, just let them get a regular tag then.

Top Bottom