Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late muzzy buck

Tmayer13

Well this year was the most unprepared i have been since i moved to IA. With moving, having a child, starting a new job, losing my main piece of ground, i was less than excited going into the season. Well i hunted a few times in October with killing a couple does. Nov 4th I had a great encounter with a stud buck but i just couldnt get it done. The 5th I hunted a new stand and had another great encounter with a great buck but his lovely girlfriend picked me off so I couldnt get an arrow in him and proceeded to watch him walk out of my life. the 6th I went back into that same stand and hunted all day with only seeing 6 does I was less than enthused. At 330 I looked up and caught a glimpse of white rack in the thickest of thick stuff. I could not get a good luck but stood up and got ready. He appeared at 35 and I knew he was a shooter. He walked to a scrape at 30 yards and I smoked. He ran about 35 yards looked back at me and fell over dead. When I walked up to him I saw it was the buck from the day before but now he had a broken brow tine! Either way i was excited as this was my first deer with a bow in 3 years!!!(Sorry no pics it wont upload, says file is too large). I dont get a whole lot of time to hunt during bow season because of my job so on my 6th time out on the 6th I was able to fill my tag!!

Fast forward to late season. I once again wasnt too excited as I didnt have any plots or really anywhere with food to go so i knew i was in for a rough late season! Well a good friend of mine had a buck he wanted a gone and i was more than happy to wrap my tag around him. Hunted xmas eve with no sitting of the deer. I couldnt hunt again til the 30th. On my way out my buddy told me to move the blind to get a better shot. So i made piles of noise and nearly froze to death moving the blind. But after about 30 mins of work I was set up with the heater blaring. I kept thinking there is no way Im even going to see anything with moving this blind and making the noise i did. But with the sub zero temps they had to eat. So the deer began to move and as i was glassing a few of them tines appeared in the back ground. I continue to look and as this deer lifts his head its a giant 7 pt. Knowing that my buddy is managing this farm for big deer, I instantly called him(he was in a blind on another piece) tell him about the deer, and just like i thought he said to kill him. So i got setup and was just waiting for him to turn broadside. As i was watching him through my scope another deer appeared, sure as heck it was him!! Tank @ss as he was named. So i grabbed my phone sent the text and he wanted Tank @ss!!! So i settled the sights on him waited for him to turn and KAPOW! I never saw him leave the field, so i was unsure what happened. I reloaded, put my hat on and left the blind(without my coat, burrrrr) I walked up and there he was! Tank @ss was down!!!! His body was unreal, you guys should have seen us trying to load him up, it was a circus!!!!

All in all this was my best season since moving to this glorious state with the killing of two mature deer!!! Huge shout out to my good friend for allowing me to hunt this monarch of a deer!!!IMG952017123095180115649.jpg IMG952017123095180038892.jpg

Great deer, great season. Congrats. By the way...where did you shoot him? The pictures make it look like you scared him to death with no bullet hole.

That’s a thick big old dude!! Wow. Any guess on what u think he weighed? Congrats on that stud!

Top Bottom