Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A surprise from my Iowa buck this season!

While cleaning the buck I killed back earlier this season, he had a big knot on his left side slightly behind the shoulder. It turned out to be a broadhead from being shot in a past season. It had passed completely through, and was lodged on the exit side just under the skin. I sent it to a taxidermist and had him clean it up with dermestid beetles. It appears to be an STOS 2-blade with a piece of a wooden shaft still attached.

I got it back this last week, and figured some of y’all might find it interesting, so thought I might pass along some pics.

Before Cleaning
417152a2e378cd0154d63e1cb067b713.jpg

After Cleaning
89f3ecdda1ef4420b1691dbac0b1f00b.jpg

edcd39211e7c8d6b07c33e66eb113b2a.jpg

389123bc49babbbfaf7931a49de5d2e0.jpg

2edf905c323aa09d251dba9d0e6fb4c2.jpg

78c64fc34b4610bf2d484af4d0079f19.jpg

Wow, that pretty cool. Somebody was scratching their head over "where that deer went down". Not exactly a commercial for the STOS 2-blade!

Wow, that pretty cool. Somebody was scratching their head over "where that deer went down". Not exactly a commercial for the STOS 2-blade!

My thoughts exactly, the other shooter was good L to R, but I guess he misjudged distance and hit real low. I agree, not the greatest showing for the STOS.

Maybe A dumb question but what bones are still surrounding the broadhead in the cleaned up pic? Doesn't look like all calcium buildup, bottom of rib cage and rib?

Maybe A dumb question but what bones are still surrounding the broadhead in the cleaned up pic? Doesn't look like all calcium buildup, bottom of rib cage and rib?

It’s two separate ribs, and it has calcification between the two, around the head, fusing them together.

Very interesting! Would be fun to know exactly what angle the shot was from and exactly what itwent through to get there. Nice buck too! Congrats!

That is neat, critters have a way of living through more than we often think they can. I have found 2 broadheads while skinning deer..... one was actually lodged in the back of a skull just behind the ear canal.

Top Bottom