Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Disappointed in Iowa’s deer classic

I know someone posted a bunch of pictures on here last year for the people who couldn’t make it... I’d sure like to see that again... I couldn’t make it again this year.

I went for the first time in a few years. In years past I sort of got turned off from it, but mainly went just to enter a shed I had found to get an official score and cool ribbon lol. I went with the intent to simply drop it off and look at the sheds and big buck contest and leave, planned no more than 30 minutes or so. Ended up staying for several hours and really enjoyed it. I talked with several people I have meant overtime through IW or other ways and enjoyed that a lot. I enjoyed stopping at the IW booth. I also enojoyed seeing one Bill Winke's seminars. There are not many 'industry' people that I would want to listen to, but Bill is an expection to me. He really seems to relate to the average people more so and is about the actual hunt and how to.

I agree though with just bypassing a lot of the booths, would it be cool to go on a safari etc, sure, but that's not my thing. And yeah, what is up with all the duck calls? That would drive me insane if I was working a booth bordering a duck call booth. Maybe its just me but some of the booths some of the people just seem to have a i'm better than you attitude when walking by, did not care for that.

It did seem there were fewer bucks in the contest than I had seen before. Still really enjoyed looking at them all and the shed contest. Also really enjoyed watching some of the 3d popup tournament there. Overall I really enjoyed it.

I haven't been in a couple years, I'd probably go more often if it wasn't the same time as prime time shed hunting. Glad the IW crew is throwing their hat back in the ring though, chatting with those dudes would be the most appealing part.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I really really wish the classic was later in the year. It's hard for me to not be in the shed woods in Early March.

One comment on the deer contest, the plaques that they give out as prizes are pretty cheesy looking. Would think they could come up with something nicer looking.

I wish the damn antler buyers wouldn’t enter their antlers in the contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt. That is a joke to just buy a shed and then enter it in a contest. It's insane how big shed hunting is now. I like looking at the different groups on facebook though, its always fun to see what people find etc. But it is crazy how many people are spending money on buying sheds. I love looking at sheds etc, but I don't see the rush in spending a few bills to buy a shed that I didn't find. Some of those facebook pages as soon as someone posts a nice shed they found there are several people commenting how much is it for sell for.

No doubt. That is a joke to just buy a shed and then enter it in a contest. It's insane how big shed hunting is now. I like looking at the different groups on facebook though, its always fun to see what people find etc. But it is crazy how many people are spending money on buying sheds. I love looking at sheds etc, but I don't see the rush in spending a few bills to buy a shed that I didn't find. Some of those facebook pages as soon as someone posts a nice shed they found there are several people commenting how much is it for sell for.
The internet ruined shed hunting many, many years ago. And now Facebook has only made it worse. I sure do miss the good ol' days.

Top Bottom