Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plot screening

Tmayer13

I saw the thread about Egyptian wheat but most of the info is dated a bit. With a quick Google search of plot screening you can find any "bag with a buck" plot screen but IMO is outrageously priced...im just wondering what you guys are using? If Egyptian wheat, where are you finding it? Local? If so how big are the bags? 50lbs? Well it'll take me 3 million years to go through that...anyone want to go in on some? Sorry for all the questions...thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have mixed sun hemp and forage sorghum the past two years and they have been great screens. The sun hemp even doubles as food for deer. The deer can't eat it fast enough as it grows very fast and is not hampered by the browsing. Deer use the plot I screened exponentially more during daylight than they did prior to the screen. I planted miscanthus last spring to replace the hemp/sorghum screen as I won't have to replant every spring once it grows in. I believe, based on the growth I had last year with the miscanthus that its quite possible I won't have to plant it next spring.

This is also the first year I have seen pheasants on my property, They and quail use the screen for cover and food. It holds up well into the winter and still can't be seen through from 5' and lower. It is 12 to 15' wide.

When I used forage sorghum alone it fell over in strong winds and snow but with the hemp added it can't fall down very far as the hemp stalk is stout. I planted mine via broadcasting into disked ground and then dragged it via a harrow and then cultipacked it. I planted it mid to late May. I did't use any herbicide pre or post. It grows so fast it shades out the vast majority of competition.

I saw the thread about Egyptian wheat but most of the info is dated a bit. With a quick Google search of plot screening you can find any "bag with a buck" plot screen but IMO is outrageously priced...im just wondering what you guys are using? If Egyptian wheat, where are you finding it? Local? If so how big are the bags? 50lbs? Well it'll take me 3 million years to go through that...anyone want to go in on some? Sorry for all the questions...thanks

Hancock seed. https://hancockseed.com/seed-varieties-241/egyptian-wheat-seed-670/

Here’s good part...... stuff like plots, etc - that stuff doesn’t get “outdated”. ;). Ain’t like a fashion trend or technology or something.
Now- ya- 50 lbs is standard. But- if u do smaller areas (which 50 lbs do more than anyone I know could possibly try!!).... if u have “buck on a bag” but only need a few spots, sometimes Simple or “easy button” is worth the extra cost. That or find someone u can split large bulk qtys with.
This info is as viable today as it was when written....
https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/egyptian-wheat.28421/

If your going to use the same stuff for a screen it will keep. I've used the same two bags of seed for the past two years and will use it for a third this years. 50 pounds sun hemp and 50 forage sorghum

Just in case anyone was wondering, I found some at des moines feed. They only have 30lbs left and its 4$/lb. Cheapest I have seen! Thanks

Top Bottom