Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spraying

arm

Leg
I picked up a used 3pt sprayer with a 7' boom. I want to make at least 50% larger boom but don't want to get too big and lose where I've been. I've tried dye before but really need a lot to make it work and it's not cheap. I figured a chain dragging off each end might work? Also figured foam marker could be made or found used but I don't need to go overboard just yet if I don't need to. How wide of swath works before you get too big to know what's already sprayed? I have plenty of psi, I wonder if 12 or 15 ft is the sweet spot?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I picked up a used 3pt sprayer with a 7' boom. I want to make at least 50% larger boom but don't want to get too big and lose where I've been. I've tried dye before but really need a lot to make it work and it's not cheap. I figured a chain dragging off each end might work? Also figured foam marker could be made or found used but I don't need to go overboard just yet if I don't need to. How wide of swath works before you get too big to know what's already sprayed? I have plenty of psi, I wonder if 12 or 15 ft is the sweet spot?

I do 20' on mine without any markers. You get a real good feel for it as long as you can see your tire tracks. Markers sure wouldn't hurt tho... id go foam nozzle.

Reactions: arm
you can go as wide as you want as long as you can supply the need GPA at the required PSI. Most foodplot situations 15'-20' will make short work of most plots. How big of areas are you spraying?

I use to do a flag system where I would put wire flags spaced out my spray width on both ends of the field, takes no time to step it off and put the flags in. you will be surprised driving flag to flag even over 100 yards away how accurate you can be. I used this system when spraying up to a 1-1.5 acres. You can also be surprised what you can find a portable gps light bar for, I found one for about double the price I was going to have in building a foam marker, so I went the gps route, but I run a few cows and spray pasture so I was able to justify it a little easier. The savings on chemical, foam, and time does add up if you have several acres you are spraying.

Yeaaahhhhh, good call on the flags, that seems simple and obvious and I'll be trying that. Centurylink has 15 miles of flags past my house including my yard, I'm set. I have 3, 2, and 1 acre plots and adding more. It's absolutely all about time. No more half day sprayings.

What's the foam nozzle? I haven't done any calibrations yet but looking forward to cruze control and consistency. It's a 55gal tank, roller pump. I need to add nozzles and looking into what would work best possibly replacing the existing. Anything I need to know?

go talk to your local co-op. Those guys spray for a living. They will be able to help you out with nozzles, what to and not to spray, clean up, storage over the winter, etc. If not shoot me a PM I may know a thing or two about AG equipment;)!! Where are you located ,i can probably steer you in the right direction!

A couple of years ago I bought a sprayer with a 65 gallon tank that is built specifically to fit in the back of a ranger. The booms covered 13 feet, which I soon figured out was a bit problematic. Our planter is set for 30 inch rows, and with wheel extensions the ranger nicely straddles 2 rows, but the booms were only wide enough to spray 5 rows. 5 was great when we were using the 4 wheeler and straddling 1 row, but not straddling 2. Fortunately, the handy-men in the group quickly welded up extensions to add to each end of the boom so it would cover 6 rows, and with a 6 row planter, keeping track of where you've been is now a piece of cake. Most of our plots are somewhat remote compared to water access, so the change to a 65 gallon tank over a 25 gallon tank on the 4 wheeler has been a huge time saver.

Reactions: arm
Top Bottom