Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Did some frost seeding last week along a fence that was pushed back late last summer. It will get some shade but I figured seed is cheap and something in there is better than nothing.

b165e4ea9230970afa6d7b84bd1fc8e7.jpg
0969f38cb3a30cebb36ef28c4c300217.jpg
4771d0b891c314c797a4479fb2b5eb68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Then did you throw that hand seeder in the garbage? :) have one like that and it always gets jammed up

Then did you throw that hand seeder in the garbage? :) have one like that and it always gets jammed up

It worked ok for me that day but you definitely get what you pay for.

Hey guys, been trying to read past posts and gathering info. I am fairly new to clover plots (food plots in general). I frost seeded a small plot, about 1/2 acre, this winter into what was standing beans last year. The beans did not do good at all, maybe got ankle high, but the plot was sprayed so did not have too many weeds. With the late spring warm up here in Iowa and now getting some good rains when should I expect to see the clover germinating? I am noticing a good amount of thistles coming up strong and some other broad leaf weeds as well, but not so much clover. I'm assuming I can take care of the broad leafs with mowing.? Is it still a little early to see newly frost seeded clover sprouting or do I need to think about reseeding?

Hey guys, been trying to read past posts and gathering info. I am fairly new to clover plots (food plots in general). I frost seeded a small plot, about 1/2 acre, this winter into what was standing beans last year. The beans did not do good at all, maybe got ankle high, but the plot was sprayed so did not have too many weeds. With the late spring warm up here in Iowa and now getting some good rains when should I expect to see the clover germinating? I am noticing a good amount of thistles coming up strong and some other broad leaf weeds as well, but not so much clover. I'm assuming I can take care of the broad leafs with mowing.? Is it still a little early to see newly frost seeded clover sprouting or do I need to think about reseeding?
Depends on where you are at. Late spring and lack of moisture for many areas had it off to a really slow (or no) start this year. Doeending on how big of an area you are talking I would spot spray thistles asap with milestone. If a lot, I'd just smoke it and start over. Lots of time to get clover going yet.

Criteria right now to...
MOW:
Mature clover or weedy clover. U must have some moisture in soil and not looking at a dry hot spell. Do NOT mow if u see hot & very dry (drought) in future or are in one.

SPRAYS.. clethodim & crop oil:
Any circumstance where grasses need addressed. Read label. I might avoid it if plants, again, are stressed from heat/drought. Otherwise any case of grass problems, u can spray anytime. Same with Butyrac for broadleaves but u want to catch weeds before too big & mowing is often a better option. Can’t mix butyrac & clethodim/crop oil same tank. Separate sprayings.

Basically: HOLD if drought or heat. Go to town if moisture. 2-3 more mowings, rain dependent & one spraying of clethodim & crop oil is generally sufficient. This will cover 75% of scenarios and weeds.

Took two small clover plots and am transitioning them into early stage apple/pear orchards. Canada thistles came on strong this year. Couple weeks ago I spot sprayed with Stinger (labeled for apple orchards) and this is the result so far. Obviously friendly fire got the clover too, but I like how it's looking.

clover1.jpg clover2.jpg

[/QUOTE]
Can’t mix butyrac & clethodim/crop oil same tank. Separate sprayings.
[/QUOTE]

Why can’t you mix the 2 and apply at the same time?

Injury to clover more likely. Crop oil with 2,4-d-b is HOT. But- I guess since clover is so resilient- could be done. I know there’s a grazing/hay restriction when mix the 2 but I’m not 100% the reason for that. Clethodim is labeled for using the 2 with notes on crop injury & possibly effectiveness at killing grasses. Likely be fine though in reality but worth noting the crop injury concerns and labels.

Last edited:
I would spray Imox as it kills both grass and broad leaf weeds. It's expensive but only use 6-8 oz per acre.
I sprayed Imox on my clover plots 5-13-18 and got a almost total kill on grass and a good kill on thistles.
For the last 3 years I didn't understand thistle control and only mowed 3-4 times per year. This spring the thistles were 1/2 acre patch in the 1 acre plot.
This spring it got wet and when I could spray the thistles were 30" high. At 7 days they started to have yellow leaves. So I bush hogged to about 12" high.
Now just started to get some small regrowth so going to respray with Imox. Label states Imox has a 1/2 life in the soil of 2 weeks to stop regrowth and almost none at 6 weeks.

Any ideas why Imox can only be sprayed 2 times per year?

I sprayed on 5-13-18 not 4-13-18. Corrected post.

Last edited:
Wow - that’s interesting stuff!!! I’ve never used it but yet again, something new to experiment with!! If it’s good- that could be fantastic!!!
K- limit on sprayings..... this is almost always for prevention of making plants tolerant to it. I see it’s a GROUP 2 herbicide...... so- a guy would wanna use other killing methods over a year so the same group isn’t used repeatedly & having a tolerant build up of plants survive & then be sprayed again with a group 2. That’s general rule of most herbicide. Limit the amount of applications and use other herbicide GROUPS (on every herbicide label) to kill weeds so no tolerance is created. Looks great though- gonna try it.
Good chart that also explains this & I’ll post on herbicode thread:
https://www.knowmoregrowmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Herbicide-MOA-CornSoy-3parts1.pdf

Here’s some clover mix I planted last fall with rye. Mowed it one time. I added a little bit of alfalfa and it all looks really good. I should have taken close up as it was clear to see whites (which are most obvious from flowering) & but lots of red, alfalfa & some alsike. I’m likely not going to bother spraying it.
75f28c3505d051642a09fedc51084cba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s some clover mix I planted last fall with rye. Mowed it one time. I added a little bit of alfalfa and it all looks really good. I should have taken close up as it was clear to see whites (which are most obvious from flowering) & but lots of red, alfalfa & some alsike. I’m likely not going to bother spraying it.
75f28c3505d051642a09fedc51084cba.jpg

Wish I would have mixed in some rye with mine. Was yours an annual rye or perennial? Wasn't sure what to put in at the time. Most likely will do turnips and radish this month to supplement the plot as the clover is new and really sparse.

Winter rye. One & done if u kill the next year or keep mowed. It’s an annual and only rye I plant. Rye & clover, oats & clover, etc all work great in fall.
However or whenever u seeded ur clover.... every feb/March- go frost seed in some different clovers & u will be a shoe in for a good stand in most cases.

Winter rye. One & done if u kill the next year or keep mowed. It’s an annual and only rye I plant. Rye & clover, oats & clover, etc all work great in fall.
However or whenever u seeded ur clover.... every feb/March- go frost seed in some different clovers & u will be a shoe in for a good stand in most cases.
The only thing I will mention as skip mentioned this is definitely the best way to grow clover but do NOT seed your rye too heavy...it will make it a pain to mow the first time and will take a little longer to get the clover looking good in the spring...here is mine planted last fall! Just a few broadleaf weeds but have since mowed and should be fine by fall
161b9774b3d7d4a4a31f11098ee3dfbd.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The only thing I will mention as skip mentioned this is definitely the best way to grow clover but do NOT seed your rye too heavy...it will make it a pain to mow the first time and will take a little longer to get the clover looking good in the spring...here is mine planted last fall! Just a few broadleaf weeds but have since mowed and should be fine by fall
161b9774b3d7d4a4a31f11098ee3dfbd.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Thanks! Good to know. I have winter rye, turnips and radish ordered. Plan to get them in last weekend of July. Assuming that I can broadcast seed and add coated N as I don’t want to disc or drag over the new clover coming up.
I was late getting all of it in as I had this area cleared with a dozer last week of May. Hopefully can get it thickened up some tor fall.

Thanks! Good to know. I have winter rye, turnips and radish ordered. Plan to get them in last weekend of July. Assuming that I can broadcast seed and add coated N as I don’t want to disc or drag over the new clover coming up.
I was late getting all of it in as I had this area cleared with a dozer last week of May. Hopefully can get it thickened up some tor fall.

Cybball - I wouldn't put your rye in that early. Turnips and radishes at the end of July/early August is just right. Rye...more like Sept. 1, or you risk it getting too "tough" this fall.

Cybball - I wouldn't put your rye in that early. Turnips and radishes at the end of July/early August is just right. Rye...more like Sept. 1, or you risk it getting too "tough" this fall.

Didn’t know that. Thanks!

Although I aim to get rye in by Sept. 1st, due to various challenges over the years, I have planted it as late as the third week in Sept and still had some germination that fall. But right around Labor Day is your sweet spot.

rye grows pretty aggressively. if your curious, put a little bit out at your house and watch the growth of it. ideally your looking for it to be 4-8" by hunting season. I was referring to planting rye with clover. you will actually get quite a bit of clover growth even when planting the first week of Sept.

rye grows pretty aggressively. if your curious, put a little bit out at your house and watch the growth of it. ideally your looking for it to be 4-8" by hunting season. I was referring to planting rye with clover. you will actually get quite a bit of clover growth even when planting the first week of Sept.

I’ll definitely delay the rye planting until September. Just got the seed today.

Top Bottom