Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Out of state hunts/plans for 2018?

Probably do Nebraska muzzleloader Mule deer again in December. A buddy and I went last year and had a blast hiking in the Sandhills, didn't see much for bucks but I was happy to kill a doe.

Nebraska is fairly cheap to hunt, they offer youth tags for non residents for under $20. Tons of public ground in the North West part of the state.

I put in for NM elk, sheep, and oryx. I think I should find out next week. I'm going to put in for a AZ coues hunt I think (will be a NR since won't satisfy the residency requirements yet). Probably won't hunt Iowa this year. :(

My dad and I have 13 points for the Pansaugunt Unit in Southern Utah for Mule Deer. Hopefully one of these years we will get the tags.

If those are NR points you should forget about the Pauns & do the Book Cliffs. I have 21 and still can’t draw Pauns. You will never overcome the point creep.

As for my plans, I’m at the mercy of about 40 apps in 10 states. I rarely have a clue where I’m going. But I’m trying hard to burn some of these 20+ point species before the states cheapen my points further. Speaking of which, Boonerville I strongly recommend passing on Nevada from the ground floor. The draw odds there are powerball with thousands of squared point holders ahead of you. But I do expect that house of cards will fall soon.

Last edited:
Canada fly-in fishing trip for us in a few weeks - hammer some giant ice out pike and jig for fat walleyes when we get bored of catching pike on top water buzzbaits... if that's possible!

Then this won't happen in 2018 but at least the planning stages are beginning - Russ, dad and I are starting to plan an elk hunt to MT or WY. Looking to do a rifle hunt. We'll see how soon we can put it all together!

If those are NR points you should forget about the Pauns & do the Book Cliffs. I have 21 and still can’t draw Pauns. You will never overcome the point creep.

As for my plans, I’m at the mercy of about 40 apps in 10 states. I rarely have a clue where I’m going. But I’m trying hard to burn some of these 20+ point species before the states cheapen my points further. Speaking of which, Boonerville I strongly recommend passing on Nevada from the ground floor. The draw odds there are powerball with thousands of squared point holders ahead of you. But I do expect that house of cards will fall soon.
I went ahead and did Nevada. It's true I'm starting out way behind...BUT, with Nevada having a bonus point system, there is still some chance, albeit minute, of drawing with low points, as opposed to a preference point system. I don't plan on waiting until I have max points to hunt Nevada. If I understand correctly, a person can draw some pretty decent deer and elk hunts if you use all 5 choices.

I went ahead and did Nevada. It's true I'm starting out way behind...BUT, with Nevada having a bonus point system, there is still some chance, albeit minute, of drawing with low points, as opposed to a preference point system. I don't plan on waiting until I have max points to hunt Nevada. If I understand correctly, a person can draw some pretty decent deer and elk hunts if you use all 5 choices.

You used to, but not any more. Not with thousands of squared points ahead of you. This didn’t used to be the case. I drew 111-114 archery elk in 2007 with 6 points. Back then I calculated my odds at ~6%. But today single digit odds are out of the question. For a ground floor guy today that hunt would be ~.001% = fogetaboutit. Randy Newburg even discourages newbies from jumping in there. IMHO if you are OK making donations to NDOW go ahead, but at minimum you should put your money at the better investments first. That is........WY, CO, AZ, NM. After that it’s a drop off in ROI.

You used to, but not any more. Not with thousands of squared points ahead of you. This didn’t used to be the case. I drew 111-114 archery elk in 2007 with 6 points. Back then I calculated my odds at ~6%. But today single digit odds are out of the question. For a ground floor guy today that hunt would be ~.001% = fogetaboutit. Randy Newburg even discourages newbies from jumping in there. IMHO if you are OK making donations to NDOW go ahead, but at minimum you should put your money at the better investments first. That is........WY, CO, AZ, NM. After that it’s a drop off in ROI.
So when if ever do you expect that to change? Max points are 25 right? Those guys have to draw eventually...

How is Arizona's bonus point system different than Nevada's? Do they not square them?

So when if ever do you expect that to change? Max points are 25 right? Those guys have to draw eventually...

How is Arizona's bonus point system different than Nevada's? Do they not square them?

Boonervilleusa, AZ & NV are not even comparable if contemplating ground floor entry today. But who knows the state’s that devised the Ponzi scheme tag distribution systems are always throwing prior investors under the bus since their is no law governing their scams. They lie, cheat & steal at will, same as my ex wife. Last year it was AZ, when they converted their basically preference point system to a 50/50 split to invigorate ground floor applicants. And Maine moose where they stole 20% of the NR quota for outfitter welfare. There is no end to the degradation and theft. But hey they have no law. The point is, you don’t know who will screw you when you buy in to these schemes. Right now AZ waaaay better than NV. You have a new 50% bonus/random chance from the ground floor. So your odds of drawing something in AZ today and down the road is 10-20 times better than NV. However, mark my words, the current NV system will crash & burn soon as new investors like yourself realize it’s not worth buying in. That is costing them more money every year, and they have no law so eventually they will screw us high 20+ point holders. BTW no AZ does not square points. That is a huge factor obviously.

I have hunted NV three times elk, deer (2), and AZ five times elk (2), deer (3). So I know a little bit about these schemes. But both systems have morphed so many times the rules are all different now. I had my AZ pronghorn hunt stolen in the last scheme morph. Was in line to draw in 2019. But now fogetuboutit. This will continue to happen with no laws governing sales.

Utah & Nevada systems were reasonable deals for ground floor applicants 20+ years ago when I bought in. But that is no longer the case with either. They have both morphed into one armed bandits. Randy Newburg agrees.

Last edited:
Boonervilleusa, AZ & NV are not even comparable if contemplating ground floor entry today. But who knows the state’s that devised the Ponzi scheme tag distribution systems are always throwing prior investors under the bus since their is no law governing their scams. They lie, cheat & steal at will, same as my ex wife. Last year it was AZ, when they converted their basically preference point system to a 50/50 split to invigorate ground floor applicants. And Maine moose where they stole 20% of the NR quota for outfitter welfare. There is no end to the degradation and theft. But hey they have no law. The point is, you don’t know who will screw you when you buy in to these schemes. Right now AZ waaaay better than NV. You have a new 50% bonus/random chance from the ground floor. So your odds of drawing something in AZ today and down the road is 10-20 times better than NV. However, mark my words, the current NV system will crash & burn soon as new investors like yourself realize it’s not worth buying in. That is costing them more money every year, and they have no law so eventually they will screw us high 20+ point holders. BTW no AZ does not square points. That is a huge factor obviously.

I have hunted NV three times elk, deer (2), and AZ five times elk (2), deer (3). So I know a little bit about these schemes. But both systems have morphed so many times the rules are all different now. I had my AZ pronghorn hunt stolen in the last scheme morph. Was in line to draw in 2019. But now fogetuboutit. This will continue to happen with no laws governing sales.

Utah & Nevada systems were reasonable deals for ground floor applicants 20+ years ago when I bought in. But that is no longer the case with either. They have both morphed into one armed bandits. Randy Newburg agrees.

You sound like someone who's brain I would love to pick about the western draws. I haven't been doing it long, and some of it seems complicated, but I'm starting to figure it out...I think...maybe.

I want to be building points in as many states as I can (the ones that don't require full tag fee up front) and eventually have some quality hunts, and in the meantime hunt on some general and OTR tags. A small chance is still a chance. My wife drew a Kentucky elk tag in 2015 in her 2nd year applying, as a nonresident. The odds of that are like what you are describing for NV. To me, $165 isn't much to build points in NV. NM is definitely a place i will be applying every year moving forward. I just started doing this so I realize it may take a while to draw some of the places I want to hunt.

This year it took 3 pts to draw a general tag in WY. I used to be able to put in for a WY gen tag and get drawn each year without points but that changed after 2014. If one wants to get drawn in WY for a bull tag without paying the substantially larger fee for the special tag it is going to take a few years of point accumulations. They are 50 bucks a year and one can buy them without paying for a whole tag.

I recommend if one wants to hunt elk in WY to put in for the cow calf tag in units you want to pursue bulls in and go hunt them. You'll get great eats, make great memories, and learn a great deal about the area that you can apply to when you finally get drawn for a bull. They do have half price cow calf tags one can put in for too that make it a very affordable tag.

This year it took 3 pts to draw a general tag in WY. I used to be able to put in for a WY gen tag and get drawn each year without points but that changed after 2014. If one wants to get drawn in WY for a bull tag without paying the substantially larger fee for the special tag it is going to take a few years of point accumulations. They are 50 bucks a year and one can buy them without paying for a whole tag.

I recommend if one wants to hunt elk in WY to put in for the cow calf tag in units you want to pursue bulls in and go hunt them. You'll get great eats, make great memories, and learn a great deal about the area that you can apply to when you finally get drawn for a bull. They do have half price cow calf tags one can put in for too that make it a very affordable tag.

Wow the multitude of western hunting publications is taking a steep toll.

they need to shit can all point pools and do it like new mexico and idaho, squared points don't do anything when you have 10k guys with max points all squared. And maybe more states should up the cost to apply. a high non refundable fee.. if demand is rising the price also has to

they need to shit can all point pools and do it like new mexico and idaho, squared points don't do anything when you have 10k guys with max points all squared. And maybe more states should up the cost to apply. a high non refundable fee.. if demand is rising the price also has to
So you are in favor of decreasing opportunity to hunt?

So you are in favor of decreasing opportunity to hunt?
no I'm not, but something has to give right? a higher application fee would force more people to pick and choose unlike the colorado model now where its only $3 per species. odds for the big 3 went to hell and i hope it doesn't screw up the mule deer hunting. You don't even have to front the license anymore so everyone applies regardless or not if the can afford the license.. I don't know what the answer is but all the point systems are broken. will more places go to waiting periods after people draw? obviously i don't want want to pay more or exclude anyone but when something is a finite resource say like a goat, moose, or sheep those tags should probably be a premium price, i hope to hunt one some day diy

no I'm not, but something has to give right? a higher application fee would force more people to pick and choose unlike the colorado model now where its only $3 per species. odds for the big 3 went to hell and i hope it doesn't screw up the mule deer hunting. You don't even have to front the license anymore so everyone applies regardless or not if the can afford the license.. I don't know what the answer is but all the point systems are broken. will more places go to waiting periods after people draw? obviously i don't want want to pay more or exclude anyone but when something is a finite resource say like a goat, moose, or sheep those tags should probably be a premium price, i hope to hunt one some day diy
Most of the tags you are referring to are already a premium price. charging more will make hunting these species a pipe dream for anyone but the rich who can afford to front all the tag fees to apply. I am not in favor of that.

Top Bottom