Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RESPOND NOW!!!! Suggestions from any hunter!!!

I know I overthink it but I’d like to see more discussion on rut timing. I believe it happens at roughly the same time each year but I find that the rut action shifts a bit each year. Last fall for example the first 4-5 days of November were better on my farms than the 6th-10th which I usually consider the best time. 2013 the 10th through the 15th were raging which is usually the time frame I consider lockdown. Bill usually fires off the 6-10th as primetime but it sure seems like more is at play than just calendar day.

I know I overthink it but I’d like to see more discussion on rut timing. I believe it happens at roughly the same time each year but I find that the rut action shifts a bit each year. Last fall for example the first 4-5 days of November were better on my farms than the 6th-10th which I usually consider the best time. 2013 the 10th through the 15th were raging which is usually the time frame I consider lockdown. Bill usually fires off the 6-10th as primetime but it sure seems like more is at play than just calendar day.

Always the same. Every. Single. Year.

That is a biological fact.

Now, what you are reporting on is likely very true. It is "what part of the rut is exposed during daylight". The factors that affect that are the real questions. Weather is #1. Depending on who you ask, the moon, etc.

I'm also in the boat of hunting smaller properties (excluding public land that I hunt) so I'd like to see stuff about laying out a new property big picture. As been stated before; where to do TSI/create bedding, where to strategically place food plots, screening options, trails, that sort of thing.

I'm also in the boat of hunting smaller properties (excluding public land that I hunt) so I'd like to see stuff about laying out a new property big picture. As been stated before; where to do TSI/create bedding, where to strategically place food plots, screening options, trails, that sort of thing.

I guess my input wasn't good enough for you! jk. Skip's input > My Input everyday haha

Don’t need a segment on that. It’s simple... meet every neighbor that is within 1 mile of your potential property border. Do that first. Then if you’re still interested start to break down the lay of the land and compare it to how other properties around yours setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a tough one....depends on if it is listed, or for sale by owner....

* First off, if it is a good buy do you want to tip them off to saying...hey I am looking at Johnsons 120 acres...hmmm maybe I should buy it--they think.
Will they be honest with you, do they want more hunters nearby or for example a NR??

Some places are not approachable--period. 89 vehicles stacked in the back yard might be a tip...but you honestly have to watch what you are doing now a days when entering a property without permission. Meth dealer?

It is nice to know the neighbors, do some research, but rare that you will know the entire neighborhood just by stopping by and/or a phone call.

Hey guys- I am gonna work off this thread. My thanks to you all for suggestions!!!!!! On it!!!! As I posted this- we tackled a few within about 30 mins & I did some “guessing” on what guys may want so I hit a few subjects that hopefully help guys out. Hit everything from food plot stuff, pressure, permethrin for ticks and some other things. Thanks again - I’ll keep working on em!!! :).
*please note my IW hat!! ;).
Here’s 1st....

Good video Skip

Fawning cover—how do you determine when to cut or not cut that field—to avoid fawns?

Well- down here- fawns r dropping & not very mobile. Thankfully MOST hit the ground around the same time (good ol mother nature’s plan!). During that time: I either avoid mowing or do it slow & careful. (Small areas, I walked through em actually). In a couple weeks - fawns will be more mobile. So- I’d pry wait in a lot of cases or some cases.
Different angle.... if I were in low deer population areas..... I’d leave (and plant it to leave!) more standing rye & stuff & for sure not mow it for while. It does help fawns and, for example, if I was up in Northern areas..... heck, I’d want to do all I can to have more fawning cover because of bears and coyotes. More the better. I’d wait like month after drop to touch em for sure. I got tons cover on my place & not as much food so this case- I was ok to mow.

Hey guys- I am gonna work off this thread. My thanks to you all for suggestions!!!!!! On it!!!! As I posted this- we tackled a few within about 30 mins & I did some “guessing” on what guys may want so I hit a few subjects that hopefully help guys out. Hit everything from food plot stuff, pressure, permethrin for ticks and some other things. Thanks again - I’ll keep working on em!!! :).
*please note my IW hat!! ;).
Here’s 1st....
Great work and informative. I think people really like seeing the "this is how we do things" segments of these shows. Keep up the good work!

Good stuff!

.... Burning off plots. It's my go to when first establishing plots. By far the best way to go. Creates a perfect seed bed. Fire is your friend.

I like the gear stuff. Bill does a good job explaining his layering setup and gear in general. I like seeing what other guys have in their pack, how they organize it and how they modify what equipment they use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Good stuff!

.... Burning off plots. It's my go to when first establishing plots. By far the best way to go. Creates a perfect seed bed. Fire is your friend.

I agree with getting a good burn on a newly established plot whenever you can. But here is one related thing I was presented with once to consider...

I was preparing an area on my farm for a burn with the idea that a local farmer would then come in and harrow the soil and then plant some beans for me. When he understood that I intended to burn the chaff off prior to him coming to harrow...he strongly advised me that if I did, he then would want no part of being the first guy to work that soil. His concern was that the fine residue of the burn would get his equipment all dirty and mess up air filters, etc, on his tractor.

Just a thought, if you are going to have someone else come in behind the burn, check with them to be sure they are good with it. From experience, I can vouch for it being a pretty dirty job...but I still like getting down to the bare soil first! :)

Well- down here- fawns r dropping & not very mobile. Thankfully MOST hit the ground around the same time (good ol mother nature’s plan!). During that time: I either avoid mowing or do it slow & careful. (Small areas, I walked through em actually). In a couple weeks - fawns will be more mobile. So- I’d pry wait in a lot of cases or some cases.
Different angle.... if I were in low deer population areas..... I’d leave (and plant it to leave!) more standing rye & stuff & for sure not mow it for while. It does help fawns and, for example, if I was up in Northern areas..... heck, I’d want to do all I can to have more fawning cover because of bears and coyotes. More the better. I’d wait like month after drop to touch em for sure. I got tons cover on my place & not as much food so this case- I was ok to mow.

Makes a big difference! CRP is a big plus for fawns. I would love to know a study/video segment on a particular farm that would determine, preferred fawn cover, size of area, survival etc...

Skip that little tractor of yours must have a couple turbos on it....ive never seen someone mow clover at 97 mph before!!! haha cool vid!!

JD.JPG
Skip that little tractor of yours must have a couple turbos on it....ive never seen someone mow clover at 97 mph before!!! haha cool vid!!

Yep, I was thinking the same thing, awfully fast...then I saw the bucket. Maybe Skip can tell us about this little incident and do his next segment on tractor safety. :)

Good video all around. Great tip on the tick repellent. Can I give the dog a bath in that stuff?

View attachment 116296

Yep, I was thinking the same thing, awfully fast...then I saw the bucket. Maybe Skip can tell us about this little incident and do his next segment on tractor safety. :)

Good video all around. Great tip on the tick repellent. Can I give the dog a bath in that stuff?
Ha!!!!!!
Ok- that’s my 1st tractor I’ve ever had. I’ve beat the crap out of it but kept up on mechanics (as u can see). Ok.... so.... as a 25-ish year old punk- always had to “push it” with things. So- me and bros thought “we can clear these big locust trees ourselves! This tractor is kinda a miniature bull dozer!!! :)”. Ya- pushing full size locust trees I chainsawed down. Dumb!!! Few years later my buddy is running excavator in there pulling the stumps out & cussing me out for how dumb that was. It worked though - at least to push em into pile. Ya- tore up bucket & ripped some hoses up and put about 50 holes in tractor tires. ;). Unfortunately - I have about 100 more stories just like that!!! (A few people on here could probably tell some of them).

I do have my big tractor but I don’t wanna use that in the segments. Plus- I feel more like myself when I’m using an old rust bucket that’s been beat to heck it’s whole life. Good one on spotting that!!!!!

I’d like to hear different tips or tactics when you find your stand/blind location what tricks you/ others use to funnel the deer to it other than natural funnels.. such as I heard skip say he would hinge cut trees and land them over heavy trails to stop them from using that one in hopes of them using one closer to your stand.. tips like that

Top Bottom