Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWGH Farm Projects Thread 2018

I thought I would start a farm projects thread to get any feedback from you guys on what I've got going on.
I've done a lot since I bought the farm in December 2016. Here are a few videos I've put together to document the progress over the last 18 months, including this springs planting. Corn (2 acres) and beans (3 acres) are in, post sprayed on corn, and post to be sprayed on beans in a few weeks. Pre emergent (panoramic), pasture guard, and R/U cocktail has been sprayed on 10 acres of ground to be put into WSGs in the next week or so.

What tractor are you using to pull that drill? Sorry can't see model #s.

I'm looking at buying that exact drill, but I live in hilly country and am curious how my JD 4720 would pull it around.

What tractor are you using to pull that drill? Sorry can't see model #s.

I'm looking at buying that exact drill, but I live in hilly country and am curious how my JD 4720 would pull it around.
I have a Massey 1739E
its 39.5 HP with a turbo diesel. got a hold of guy at GP corporate and chewed it over with him and he said he thought it would handle it fine as long as I wasn't trying to push to hard in hilly dirt. Here's specs on my tractor. It did just fine with it.
However, my tractor didn't come with rear remotes, for $300 I got lines run from front end loader tilt control to lift/lower drill. Bucket can still go up and down just no tilt.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/007/4/3/7433-massey-ferguson-1739e.html

I had cabin fever in the box, so I went to the farm to check on my post application to corn and pre app to WSGs. I sprayed the post corn Friday 5/18 and the WSGs dirt Monday evening 5/21. Im pretty happy with the results so far.
The only thing I’m kicking myself for some is I forgot to leave crop oil out of my corn post. This makes app burn the corn a little worse than it would without it.
Grass/foxtail is smoked, along with the dog-vein milkweed and remnants of the sericia lespedeeza that I spanked last summer. Give this corn 10-14 days and it should be getting close to canopying I would think.
Next goal is to drill my WSGs over the long weekend and then get a post on the bean dirt.
Beans drilled last Saturday got plenty of moisture and should pop by the weekend I hope.
Corn 5-23-18-1.png
dead grass in corn 5-23-18-1.png
dead lespedeeza 5-23-18-1.png
dead milkweed 5-23-18-1.png
really dead milkweed 5-23-18-1.png
bean germination 5-23-18-1.png

Are you going to combine that corn or let stand all winter and bush hog in the spring?
I will brush hog it periodically throughout the season. I have a redneck blind on skids that I will move downwind of the freshly mowed corn. The corn strip it about 60 yards, so I will be able to have a bow shot to both sides of the corn.

Friday evening and Saturday I got 10 acres of RWWP bedding in a bag drilled.
Also checked up on corn and beans. Friday there were a few beans up and several more Saturday. Now, if the good Lord would bring on the rain I will be a very happy camper.

Attachments

• corn 5-25-18 2.jpg
    corn 5-25-18 2.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 448
  • corn 5-25-18.jpg
    corn 5-25-18.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 434
  • Rwwp bean.jpg
    Rwwp bean.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 433
  • bedding in a bag.jpg
    bedding in a bag.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 423
I thought that bedding mix was a fall planting?

How do you feel the that no-till planter works given it's relatively smaller weight as a 6' unit?

I thought that bedding mix was a fall planting?

How do you feel the that no-till planter works given it's relatively smaller weight as a 6' unit?
B-I-B is late spring planting.
I have had no issues with the 606NT as far as cutting/weight. I have not drilled into any heavy thatch though.

U guys got a Great thing going- awesome thread!
What general part of country u in (up north like MN or something ?) & how ur deer densities? Well done, that’s gonna pay off!!! 2nd or 3rd hunting season now? Bet u really gonna see some changes by now. Be really interesting to see how the hunting has changed from when u bought it - even 3-4 years later. Well done!

U guys got a Great thing going- awesome thread!
What general part of country u in (up north like MN or something ?) & how ur deer densities? Well done, that’s gonna pay off!!! 2nd or 3rd hunting season now? Bet u really gonna see some changes by now. Be really interesting to see how the hunting has changed from when u bought it - even 3-4 years later. Well done!
I am in North Central Missouri, about 55 miles south of Kirksville.
Deer densities are making a comeback after getting hit pretty hard with EHD in 2012-13. Though on this particular section that my farm is on I don't think its as bad as it was in most places. The only thing that we really struggle with is age class, like most of Missouri with the terrible timing of Rifle Season and then guns guns and more guns in the woods after the November portion... don't get me started, and then there is Nonresident permit prices.. another can of worms. Neither here nor there.
2018 will be the second hunting season, though I didn't get to hunt it much last year until late season, I guided 2 pairs of guys to raise capital for improvements. The two guys I had down from MI last year were really cool guys, so I am having them back for 5 days in November.
It looks like a completely different farm from the first day I stepped foot on it.
If interested, here is my farm projects thread on the MWT site that I started from about the time I first purchased the place.
https://www.missouriwhitetails.com/threads/dwgh-farm-projects-thread-2017.211739/#post-3268399
I am extremely excited to see how the deer react to pulling my foodplots out of the far end of the farm, decreasing intrusion, and adding cover that far north end. Here is layout of the "T-Shirt Plot" and surrounding WSG's.
T shirt plot 2.png

Went to check on plots and put the finishing touches on water tower. Corn and beans look good. Corn is really strong just need rain. I think water tower will really come in handy.
0FBDDF4A-DD53-4542-9A87-FFB0984CAFEA.jpeg
31775F9C-E581-47C0-AE16-285940FA474E.jpeg
2A814C79-4C9E-486C-AE9D-632B2891949D.jpeg

Looks awesome!!! How u filling the water tank?

Lot of rain in Midwest hopefully coming!?!!? We just got an inch.

All looks great but easy on the NR tag cost comments, LOL. When I bought in MO NR Landowner tags were a thing. Bow, rifle and turkey tags were $75.00 each so if I hunted all 3 it was $225.00. They dumped them years ago and I now pay $690 if I hunt all 3 seasons. Talk about a kick in the marbles!!!

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
All looks great but easy on the NR tag cost comments, LOL. When I bought in MO NR Landowner tags were a thing. Bow, rifle and turkey tags were $75.00 each so if I hunted all 3 it was $225.00. They dumped them years ago and I know pay $750 if I hunt all 3 seasons. Talk about a kick in the marbles!!!

Keep up the good work.
L/O tags I personally have no issue with. Being able to get two buck tags for $225 over the counter if you are any regular Joe is just insanity to me. Iowa DNR and MDC are very different when it comes to how they manage deer herd. Iowa sees the whitetail herd as the people of Iowa's resource. MDC see's it as the State's deer, not the peoples and tax revenue generating giant. Makes me absolutely sick.

You get to hunt every year don't you. You can kill two male deer and two turkeys for 225.00. I have land in Iowa that I have waited five years to hunt and the tag was over 800.00 for one male deer and a doe and before you all start. I do know the rules that is why I sold it this month.

You get to hunt every year don't you. You can kill two male deer and two turkeys for 225.00. I have land in Iowa that I have waited five years to hunt and the tag was over 800.00 for one male deer and a doe and before you all start. I do know the rules that is why I sold it this month.
That's what I'm sayin. I'm envious of IA's regs as a MO resident. If MO matched their regs, It would do so much for the herd and improve age structure. Not to mention there not being every single motel filled up with OOS license plates for 2 weeks during November portion.

That's what I'm sayin. I'm envious of IA's regs as a MO resident. If MO matched their regs, It would do so much for the herd and improve age structure. Not to mention there not being every single motel filled up with OOS license plates for 2 weeks during November portion.
I think "MISSOURI" is an Indian word for "WASTED POTENTIAL"! ;) Didn't I hear that somewhere?!?! (ok, maybe I made it up).
Ya, it's crazy, when I cross into MO - the ground looks SO GOOD!!! Then, all my buddies show me the quality of deer - it's so incredibly different, it's mind boggling. Preaching to the choir here I know. You all have 10x the good habitat that Iowa has but the vast majority is EXPLOITED, just like you said, chasing the dollar. So unfortunate. If MO protected its resources from exploitation, everyone down there would have so much better hunting it's insane. Common sense changes.
As it sits now, in MO (many friends have ground there or hunt there).... Leased up & locked up way worse than Iowa. Early Nov - PEAK RUT, rifles out - that's what destroys that state's potential. Multiple bucks for anyone BUT - again, it's the rifles peak rut that's the game changer.
It makes me scratch my head how they can't look across the border & see how much better Iowa does on QUALITY FOR EVERYONE with 1/10th the habitat/land?!?!?!? Our public ground is 5x better than most the private in MO.
Sorry on the rant, I know you know this & no reason to beat a dead horse. I just wish you all would FIX it. It's so obvious to anyone with a brain BUT finding government, insurance & old school is a tough battle.
ANYWAYS, back to the good thing.... You have an awesome thing going on and folks like you, doing what you're doing, are the folks that will have a shot at quality hunting. That work will pay off, keep at it and well done!

Top Bottom