Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Relocating to southern Iowa in very near future.....has anyone else here done similar?

Falldreams

I'm a lifelong Michigan native and resident with a deep passion and obsession with the outdoors, nature, fishing, and hunting many different animals. However chasing whitetails with a bow has been my main obsession and true love for over 20 years now. I'm looking at relocating to southern Iowa in the very near future. Not just for the hunting although that is a large part of it for sure. I am looking to leave the hustle and bustle of southern MI and get back to my country roots and slower pace of life. I would enjoy hearing from anyone and everyone who calls Iowa home. Also if anyone has done something similar and relocated from another state to Iowa and their thoughts. Meeting new people and making some new friends and connections is also a great thing. I'm not planning on buying a farm right away or anything like that. I will also be looking to rent housing for the first year or two and open to anyone who knows of any rental properties that might be available down the road. Especially something in the country or outskirts of a town. Thank you for any and all thoughts they are much appreciated.

Relocated from MI about 15-18-ish years ago. Never look back as far as quality of living & obviously I don’t miss one drop of ANY outdoor related activity. Love it here and my home for life!! Everything outdoors is better except MAYBE a select few things with fishing. But say even bass fishing or pan fish- way better here imo. Small game- way better. It’s a shame with MI having a gazillion acres of forest, habitat & lakes that it gets destroyed & why I hope Iowa never goes down that path! Love it here!!!

Relocated from MI about 15-18-ish years ago. Never look back as far as quality of living & obviously I don’t miss one drop of ANY outdoor related activity. Love it here and my home for life!! Everything outdoors is better except MAYBE a select few things with fishing. But say even bass fishing or pan fish- way better here imo. Small game- way better. It’s a shame with MI having a gazillion acres of forest, habitat & lakes that it gets destroyed & why I hope Iowa never goes down that path! Love it here!!!

Thanks Sligh for all the positive words and thoughts! We are definitely spoiled in a lot of ways here in Michigan in regards to all of our lakes, rivers and streams and the huge and diverse fishery. However I couldn't agree more with you in regards to how over used and beaten up all of our natural resources have become, especially in the past 15-20 years. It's sad because MI is truly a beautiful outdoors state.

Made the same exact move in 2014. From a little town south of Lansing, MI to SC Iowa. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

Awesome to hear! Obviously I know it snows in Iowa also but living here in the snowbelt of SW MI I will NOT miss all the snow and the severe winters. I'm glad to hear it sounds like your loving it out there.

I know some guys that recently did the same move, not on this site. I don't get it if something sucks so bad, like MI hunting regs, why there's no attempt to fix it. Not making this thread about that, just talking out loud. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Where abouts you looking?

Albia......Centerville......Osceola area. Would like to in small town atmosphere and lots of country which I know is very easy to find in Iowa of course. But the South central area of Iowa is where I'm looking

I had a farm by Osceola (nice small town) and convenient location on 35.

Good hunting around there, not hard to get permission to hunt. Also good public ground in all directions.

also made the move from the mitten back in 2013! Great move for myself thats for sure. I also moved to small town Southern IA. Now live in a bigger town in central part of state. One thing I will say is that the smaller towns in south central Iowa are pretty.....how do I say..."trashy"....now i can say this because i lived in them for a few years, but once you get up toward the bigger areas they are really nice. As far as the hunting goes its a no brainer! Like Rob said I wish i wouldve done it sooner! Good Luck

Another Transplant here. I moved here in 2015 from Indiana. Best move I have ever made. You couldn't run me out of Iowa with a stick.

Top Bottom