Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

River Crossing, what do you use?

flugge

So I gained access to a property that might end up being a honey hole. The problem is, in order to access it, I have to walk two miles, and then cross a creek. The creek is just deep enough to be a problem for my normal rubber boots. I have HEAVY waders, but dont really want to carry them that far. Any thoughts or suggestions other than stripping down to redress on the other side? I have looked at "packable" waders, but no idea if they would hold up more than once... Hopefully I only have to cross twice, just worried about that second one dragging a big deer back out ;)

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
How wide? Seriously, what if you wore shorts and those water sandles from truck to stand? Got hair on your donuts don't ya? I might do this myself

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cheap aluminum boat or canoe, leave it right on the bank chained up just in case it rises

Also have used a ladder to walk across, depending how far you gotta go

I know a few guys who take waders and also leave them hanging by a hook on a tree for the season so they can use them anytime they go back

If you are really adventurous rope swing (you have to film that thou ;)

If you are really adventurous rope swing (you have to film that thou ;)
Seems like a good idea!

2 mile walk and a creek crossing, eesh those are never fun in the dark. If it was me I'd go with the hip waders or drop trousers and bare foot it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Its about 40 feet wide, cutting trees and a bridge are not an option...Landowner wont even let me take a fourwheeler back in there at any point in the year. I dont have a problem stripping down until late November haha...I did think about shorts and river shoes as an option, just leave them right next to the bank. I also thought about kayaking in (not having to walk at all then) but not sure I would be able to paddle back up stream in the dark either.

Congrats on the permission to the new spot. A cheap pair of hip boots should do the trick. With those one can leave all clothes on except boots.

Take a pair of waders or hip boots in once, hide them in a duffel bag or something and leave them there for the balance of the season. Take care to place them somewhere where mice cannot reach them easily to chew, etc. I did this once years ago and it worked fine. The only real bugaboo was keeping the mice away from them.

Its about 40 feet wide, cutting trees and a bridge are not an option...Landowner wont even let me take a fourwheeler back in there at any point in the year. I dont have a problem stripping down until late November haha...I did think about shorts and river shoes as an option, just leave them right next to the bank. I also thought about kayaking in (not having to walk at all then) but not sure I would be able to paddle back up stream in the dark either.

Have to say i'm with @jkratz5 on leaving a cheap aluminum john boat or even better an old canoe tied up to the bank. Could also make easier to float big boy back out of there.

Other option would be a cheap pair of hip waders. Would think a thin non insulated pair would pack down enough to fit in a 5gal bucket with snap lid so you could leave them there. OR, along the lines of rope swinging across.. two large yard waste trash bags should do for a home made pair of packable hip waders :D regardless, let us know how it all works out!

• Deleted by Wapsi Tree Rat
Show…
off road bike with a carrying basket. Waders and items in that way and bike wont tear up ground

off road bike with a carrying basket. Waders and items in that way and bike wont tear up ground

Tried this, he will not allow me to do that even... As good of a spot as it is, I really do not want to upset the guy.

Thanks everyone for the answers, I will keep looking at cheap waders and hip boots

Walking that far, you are better off taking a bar of soap and stopping in the creek for a bit.

I would try and pursued the landowner to use a bike or something. Bribe him with some meat or chores

I would say a pair of cheap hip boots packed in or left in a Rubbermaid tote. If you get one down I would not be afraid to break it down in the field and pack it out. I know some say it's illegal but if you register it from you're cell first and do a good job cleaning up the carcass I don't see how you could have a problem.

Hip boots and plastic tub/storage tote from walmart. Cheap, waterproof, and mouse resistant for a while. Done it for years without any issues.

Brent (bjohnson) onnhere I believe has used a couple methods to cross water to get to some secluded spots, he may have some suggestions too

Top Bottom