Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Beans and Brassicas

Hsmaross

I got a free bag of soy beans from a buddy a couple weeks ago. Was going to plant them by now but havent had the chance to do it. Any harm in planting them with my turnips and sugar beets in few weeks?

thanks in advance!

Im planning on the same thing !! Might not make pods but should take preassure off of the brassicas !!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Probably depends on how you are going to plant it. The beans will probably need to be covered a bit more than the Brassicas. If you are going to just broadcast the soybean emergence might not be the greatest with out a pretty good rain. If you are going to drill them in, I would just go for it. I would think they would pair up nice giving some early grazing before a frost with the beans.

My only concern, was whether or not the beans would be big enough soon enough as to not get drowned out by the radishes and purple tops. Was thinking maybe planting the beans and waiting till they pop to plant the rest??

I haven't tried it yet. My hope is actually that they don't touch it till late winter, if it doesn't work the beans will still be there and turnips.

Any beans you plant now will be good for "green grazing" this fall but won't set pods and will be of little value late winter. Turnips will still be there. Good luck!

Any beans you plant now will be good for "green grazing" this fall but won't set pods and will be of little value late winter. Turnips will still be there. Good luck!

Beans are knee high right now. I used an old 1240 john deere with 42 inch rows so there should be plenty of light hitting the ground for the brassicas to grow.

Top Bottom