Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWGH Farm Projects Thread 2018

I put 15 straw bales down on and around the pond/dam this morning. I took a peek at what I planted Monday 8/6 and there were a few brassicas that had popped up and good tails on others. I cant wait to see this spot in a few weeks.
straw on pond.jpg

That's a great looking pic. Makes me think about killing geese in layout blinds. You see any waterfowl activity?

Another question for ya. Got my fence set up and it is fencing 2 acres twice around. The line is ran continuously around both acres and hooked direct to the box. I get good shock when close to the grounding rod, but when I’m say 100 yards away the shock is weak or often non existent. I don’t think it was grounding out on brush or anything like that. Do I need more grounding rods to be placed on the farther out spots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another question for ya. Got my fence set up and it is fencing 2 acres twice around. The line is ran continuously around both acres and hooked direct to the box. I get good shock when close to the grounding rod, but when I’m say 100 yards away the shock is weak or often non existent. I don’t think it was grounding out on brush or anything like that. Do I need more grounding rods to be placed on the farther out spots?

LOL first question is did you take your shoes off? :D
When I have my shoes off it barely ticks me.... take my shoes off and POW!!!!!
Im not well versed in electrical scientific parts of how the system works but I would reccommend using a volt meter rather than putting yourself through the pain. Also, grab one of the steel fence posts opposite of the charger and then grab the fence, that should give you a good ground LOLOL :D

• Deleted by deep woods goat hunter
  • Reason: picture too big
Show…
  • Deleted by deep woods goat hunter
  • Reason: pics
Show…
I put seed down 8/6/18 and had good rain that night. It came pretty hard and crusted but looks like the germ is good and they are pushing through.
I also checked on the green screen I drilled 8/21/18 and it is coming on strong with the recent rains. I hope it gets to shoulder tall or better by the first frost. I is easily up to my knee caps with 22 days of growth. I think I will be doing a lot more of this in the future.
Last a check on the beans. They have enjoyed some good rains the last month and are exceeding my expectations with the terrible first half of the summer. I am going to hurry up and wait before I finish up plotting with cereal grans in another 10-15 days.
brassica 8-12-18 #2.jpg
bean 8-12-18 #1.jpg
brassica 8-12-18 #1.jpg
green screen 8-12-2018.jpg
beans 8-12-18 #2.jpg

Checked on water hole over the weekend. Grade job seems to have drained to it well.
Also, took my daughter to her first real adventure to the farm with me this evening. It was just to check the brassica plot germ but it really got me in the feels. Can’t wait to make many memories on this piece of dirt with my little girl.
IMG_7174.JPG

IMG_7184.JPG

IMG_7188.JPG

IMG_7190.JPG

IMG_7193.JPG

Children of the corn. How in the world do you have a field with no weeds?
Thats Green Screen grain sorgum that she is standing next to. I tilled and cultipacked just prior to drilling/seeding. I think the plot should canopy for the most part in the next two weeks and keep the weeds at bay.

is there a reason you planted the green screen this time of year? I planted mine first week of june and its 8ft tall and still growing...im just curious

is there a reason you planted the green screen this time of year? I planted mine first week of june and its 8ft tall and still growing...im just curious
Dozer work was being done to expand this food plot and fix pond.
Yes it was late. Planted 7/21 I think. Pouring the N to it and got good rains since. I drilled it the day the dozers left. This plot is about 100 yards from the road and I also split it in half with a couple strips to make the 2.8ish acre plot feel more secure. I hope for it to get shoulder/head tall and I will be happy. Its already nut high on a warm day, so I am optimistic.
Al thing considered with the extreme drought we had here in NCMO the first half of the summer I may be better off. I've gotten about 10" of rain since 7/14, that combined with plenty of N its progressing well. Normally i'd do it end of may/early June. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Another .7” to add to the cause. Thankfully my side of the section missed the crazy hail that accompanied this storm. The other side of the section was not so lucky.
IMG_7202.JPG

IMG_7200.JPG

Maybe a touch early but with busy weekend ahead and good moisture and more on the way I went ahead and drilled harvest salad and maximum cocktail into my former corn plot and around edges of the beans. I’m ready for November......
IMG_7222.JPG

Reactions: arm
I stuck a couple cameras out on fall plots this morning. They are looking pretty good, they always look thin a couple weeks in but they always seem to fill out nicely.
You can clearly see the side by side comparison of Plot Topper (left) vs BioLogic's Winter Bulbs & sugar Beets/Maximum Combo (Right) in the second picture.
Late planted plot screen is nearly shoulder tall.
Here's a few pics
8-23 1.jpg
8-23 6.jpg
8-23 7.jpg
8-23 9.jpg
brassica 8-23 10.jpg
green screen 8-23 5.jpg

I stuck a couple cameras out on fall plots this morning. They are looking pretty good, they always look thin a couple weeks in but they always seem to fill out nicely.
You can clearly see the side by side comparison of Plot Topper (left) vs BioLogic's Winter Bulbs & sugar Beets/Maximum Combo (Right) in the second picture.
Late planted plot screen is nearly shoulder tall.
Here's a few picsView attachment 116712 View attachment 116713 View attachment 116714 View attachment 116715 View attachment 116716 View attachment 116717
Your plots look to be coming nicely. I am curious why there is such a germination difference in the two seeds?

Your plots look to be coming nicely. I am curious why there is such a germination difference in the two seeds?

I am with you on that. This is the first time I have tried the RWWP plot topper. My best guess is the multiple varieties of seeds in the plot topper mix. It has 8 different varieties of seeds. The right side on the second picture is the biologic and the left lower visible population is plot topper. There are some different seeds that I am not accustomed to planting and may germ and show/ flourish later. Only time will tell. Here is the seed tag from the RWWP. Sure hope I didn’t screw something up!
IMG_6510.JPG

Top Bottom