Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Egyptian Wheat

July 10 be my “cut off” where I’d maybe just “bag it”. U got time. Yep- lower moisture- not an issue - u get enough rain to germinate - will usually do fine. It’s one of the most drought hardy plants I’ve seen. If fertility is maxed & u run pre-emergents - be time for TALL stand yet.

Hey guys, Ive been planting arrow seed's green screen mix for the last few seasons. It does okay UNTIL dec/january when I really want the screening factor getting in and out of blinds.
Is anyone aware of a variety(s) mixes that stand up to wind and weather (snow) better?

Hey guys, Ive been planting arrow seed's green screen mix for the last few seasons. It does okay UNTIL dec/january when I really want the screening factor getting in and out of blinds.
Is anyone aware of a variety(s) mixes that stand up to wind and weather (snow) better?
i was just looking at there site and it doesnt say what is in the mix...do you know whats all in there. Ive had good luck with EW alone, i think when most screens fail to withstand snow and wind is because they are planted too thick. Ill try and take some pics of mine if i make it to the farm this weekend....for a reference I planted 2lbs on a 550ftx5ft screen

I don't have any direct experience with the Arrow Seed blend, but it is really easy to get your EW too thick and that will lead to thinner stalks and less "standability" real quick. I agree with TMayer, check that first. Are you giving it enough N?

i was just looking at there site and it doesnt say what is in the mix...do you know whats all in there. Ive had good luck with EW alone, i think when most screens fail to withstand snow and wind is because they are planted too thick. Ill try and take some pics of mine if i make it to the farm this weekend....for a reference I planted 2lbs on a 550ftx5ft screen
I drilled mine this year for the first time. I calibrated my drill to 10# per acre and drilled it on 15" rows. I dont have any pics of the stuff that laid over on my last year but here's some of it this year. Pics were taken this morning.
As I noted on my farm projects thread, I didnt get this planted until 7-21 due to dozer work on this plot and my pond. It is almost shoulder high already just a month in...
8-23 1.jpg
green screen 8-23 5.jpg

I would say that 10# is probably a little thick...I would say shoot for closer to 6# and Id be your stand will be much better

I don't have any direct experience with the Arrow Seed blend, but it is really easy to get your EW too thick and that will lead to thinner stalks and less "standability" real quick. I agree with TMayer, check that first. Are you giving it enough N?
I put 75-50-50 to it and disced in the day before I drilled.

did your stuff last year have big heavy stalks like corn? or were they not as big?
Not as big. Also last year I broadcast and I think I very easily could have been heavier than 10#/acre
I am very pleased with the way the drill puts the seed down. It will be easy to back off the rate handle and re-calibrate to get somewhere in between 5-10. I guess I'll see how it holds up this winter and proceed based on the result. I'll at least back it off to 8# id say. I would be a fan of the bag going farther, that stuff is not cheap.

Not as big. Also last year I broadcast and I think I very easily could have been heavier than 10#/acre
I am very pleased with the way the drill puts the seed down. It will be easy to back off the rate handle and re-calibrate to get somewhere in between 5-10. I guess I'll see how it holds up this winter and proceed based on the result. I'll at least back it off to 8# id say. I would be a fan of the bag going farther, that stuff is not cheap.
I bought my EW from des moines seed this spring for like 4$/lb....maybe look at local coops or such places they may be alot cheaper as well

We may have found a sorghum that will still stand well into the winter. I tried a variety last year and it was still standing this April after a tough Upper Michigan winter. Anxious to see how it does this year.

We may have found a sorghum that will still stand well into the winter. I tried a variety last year and it was still standing this April after a tough Upper Michigan winter. Anxious to see how it does this year.
and also don they eat sorghum? i know in my situation i dont want them in my screen....but i would be interested to here some more info on this

EW planted either the 9th ot 16th of june... I made some mistakes when planting as it was a last minute decision to plant being rain was coming...I just broadcasted seed and walked away...the rain came that might and washed some of the seed...I wish I would have had the time to cultipack...but it still looks really good and will serve its purpose! Sorry for the crappy pic..there a crack on my screen right over the camera! For reference I'm 6'3
8916017aa57639074e5ea175959bdc90.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a local source for EW this year? My source from last year doesn't have any...thanks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom