Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

30 Days Since Planting Brassicas

August 6th vs September 6th. I posed this on my farm thread but i thought id post it here as well. Ive never had good consistent moisture on a fall plot like we have had this year. Man do they grow fast when given the opportunity. Ive grown some good ones but this is the best year by far. Such a relief after a terribly dry June.
Anybody else having exceptional luck this year with brassicas?
IMG_1256.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what i wondered, very cool. Ive thought about trying to drill them with my Great Plains 606NT. I was actually planning to but weather was about to pop off and rain and i just ran out of time.

Last edited:
Thats what i wondered, very cool. Ive thought about trying to drill them with my Land Pride 606NT. I was actually planning to but weather was about to pop off and rain and i just ran out of time.

Do you have the small seed box or just the bean box?

Ours at 4 weeks in Upper Michigan. You can see that the plot is in the dbltree strips. We added 50 pounds of winter peas ( inoculated) to the planting to see if the will help the growing brassica with the nitrogen they produce. Some volunteer rye and oats are in there as well but don’t seem to be affecting growth.
6D931A5D-AA09-49DC-9C5E-AD3B87805CE3.jpeg

Wow!!!! Looks super good!!!!! I peaked at some on me this weekend.... Pretty good but too much water. Thankfully no bottom stuff. I think we had 10” in a week. Tough go on me. But they should pull through & dbltree rye mix looks great. I’ll post pics later. But- props guys-
Looks amazing!!!!!

I have a few versions of it!! ;). I do what dbltree posted....
https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/cereal-grains-and-cover-crops.15879/

I take a lot of my “left over seed” & add that to stuff as well. Run through drill. Say I have an extra bag of soybeans- they go in. Iron clay peas- in the box. U name it. With the staples of winter rye, oats, clovers, alalfa, radish, winter peas, etc.

Run some frigid forage blends and really like those.

Last- since I have to be careful on cost on these since whole crop fields sometimes: I’ll do cover crops where earlier crops come out. Kinda limited so, let’s say next year it’ll be BEANS.... I’ll do winter rye alone. If I’m gonna plant corn next year.... I’ve done winter peas, radish & few other things. Separate and mixed. Tricky if coming outta beans though. I do avoid going from rye to corn. Rye always goes to beans later. Annuals that die in hard winter or easy kill in spring & either produce or scavenge fo nitrogen will be corn next year. Cover crops are awesome but lil but tricky.
1c8b387be71f3325b9a4c3254299ae6c.jpg
137ae16d0f24e9ee6771a0d7a0ee5cd9.jpg

056e85261b5e1bdc7d0302c47e67e6bc.jpg
7732ce6e9e55622090405b54a7f2521e.jpg

Last edited:
Thats pretty awesome. I like your WSGs, I sure hope mine end up like that in 2 more years. I drilled some peas for the first time this year in with the RWWP mix and a home brew mix. I will be interested to see how the deer react to them.

Man you guys got some really great brassica plots. I had to much water on mine and with the clay content they turned out pretty spotty. Had a perfect stand, then it started raining first week of august and we have had 14" of rain in just of 30 days. Where the water could get away they look surprisingly good, probably still have a half acre that are in good shape.

Top side of plot where the water could get away is a little stunted but they survived and I still have for sure 30+ days before a frost is even thought about, heck some years 60 days.

The forecast looks good, so I bet in a week they look a lot better.

Bottom half of the plot is really flat, it drowned out really bad, I'll just put it to rye and oats.
c62a8b144994ddd0ad8aafa3b92d2965.jpg
bbddad452074f15fb75e5d07483a74c6.jpg
2497369790ae107e9e830c86eae2cd4b.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom