Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Finally got my first pheasant

CurtisWalker

Growing up in Iowa it seems like everyone has killed a pheasant. For some reason though I was never able to seem to get the monkey off my back when it came to trying to harvest them. However Sunday I finally got on a good hunt with great friends and shot my firsts. Four man limit in about 45 minutes. I had never seen so many pheasants in my life. I’d say we saw a minimum of 75 birds and only got about 50% of the way through the property.

b86f7b9bc98657f67692112b61b74f8c.jpg

6f3fcc1a8d04f65f496b3243d68bbcbf.jpg

Then went out on some public land today after work and managed to scratch one ole rooster

c72c840cb6cc26e6bfbb224c3e010a7c.jpg

f9c18a84b8bcc9e23c4a6f212990083c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my understanding there was 2 hatches this year alone because of the awesome weather!! Solid day in the field buddy!! Straight killing it on the wildlife this year

Very nice! I have heard some crowing and cackling this year at my farm, but have not gone out after them yet. Seeing your nice pics...I think Daver(for Bonker :)) should load up the ol' blunderbuss and make a play for the wily ringneck. Congrats!!

Those are the days I miss the most. Bird hunting behind some dogs. What part of the state were you hunting?

Spent many an hour walking miles for pheasants back in the day. Then the whitetail bug bit me when the pheasant population was crashing and the CRP program ending. Many a fond memory. I hope to stick one with an arrow from a deer stand one of these years. ;) Congrats on your first bird.

Spent many an hour walking miles for pheasants back in the day. Then the whitetail bug bit me when the pheasant population was crashing and the CRP program ending. Many a fond memory. I hope to stick one with an arrow from a deer stand one of these years. ;) Congrats on your first bird.

Just an FYI...a rooster pheasant is one of the few things that I have never been able to get with a bow from an elevated stand. Although I don't see as many nowadays from the stand that I once did...those buggers are VERY perceptive of any movement from above and hard to even get a shot at in my experience...let alone hit one.

Just an FYI...a rooster pheasant is one of the few things that I have never been able to get with a bow from an elevated stand. Although I don't see as many nowadays from the stand that I once did...those buggers are VERY perceptive of any movement from above and hard to even get a shot at in my experience...let alone hit one.
I guess I should have been trying to take advantage of the many opportunities that have presented themselves. I've passed because I didn't want it to end the bowhunt to take care of a pheasant. Kind of silly really, as there have been many pheasants that spent the day in the trunk of the car. :confused:

From my understanding there was 2 hatches this year alone because of the awesome weather!! Solid day in the field buddy!! Straight killing it on the wildlife this year

Hens will not re nest if their first batch is successfully hatched. They only have one hatch a year. If a prior nesting attempt fails then they will re nest up to two times.

I have a farm in Minnesota with native grasses, shelterbelts for pheasants and they did have a good hatch this year. Corn/sorghum plots, and the birds flock in right now when the snow flies. It is really fun and good exercise! We usually see 25 birds per hunt, up to 50 on some days.Andrew-pheasant.jpg

Fun times! My lab got her foot sewn up today and will be out of commission for 3 weeks. We have been shooting birds on a regular basis in NW IA.

Top Bottom