Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

“Bullet Hole Buck” 2 to 3 & recovery pics...

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I was reading another post where deer likely will recover. Got me to thinking about a buck I saw in the last week or so. Was hoping he’d make it. So far so good!! Saw him last year and said “that 2 year old has potential!!” - he caught my eye for sure!!!! About late December I said “what the heck!?!??!!! OH NO!!!!!!”
He survived and I don’t think it’s as bad as I thought. I called him “BULLET HOLE” for obvious reasons. It might not actually be a Bullet hole. But- could be one that deflected or was stopped by bone. Or could just be a ugly but minor gash. Or could just be “who knows what”?!?!
Anyways- no impact on growth or health. Just a cool lil example of little 2 year old turning to 3 & healing just fine. He’s still there & I think he’s got likely chance he’ll be around for years to come. Be fun if BULLET HOLE makes it to maturity. The dude has potential!! As long as he can avoid getting more bullet holes in him! ;).
2 year old pics....
1b2522c0edaa4aa7f765c7b29c05a8ce.jpg
9258cb68752edeed5e14808b6812f614.jpg

3 year old pics....
80c886315763ab467e3911f5cb165dcc.jpg

7f7847397ebaf39fa325a92cfaf0bfb7.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Barely can see the wound this year, and he looks quite healthy. Can't wait to see what he does next year!

Wow, very interesting how his antler growth was exceptional in spite of that wound. He's on track to have some wicked heavy beams.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

So do you think his meat would be good when killed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for the sake of a good debate, I am going to suggest that the buck was 3 in the first set of images but looked younger body wise due to recovery from the injury. The second set of images would therefore be at 4. The antler base characteristics in the second set of images seem older than 3 (heavy beading on the bases and brows, etc). Also, some bucks make their best jumps from 3 to 4 and this deer made a tremendous jump from the first set of images to the second set of images. Either way, not only a great buck but one tough son-of-a-gun also.

Just for the sake of a good debate, I am going to suggest that the buck was 3 in the first set of images but looked younger body wise due to recovery from the injury. The second set of images would therefore be at 4. The antler base characteristics in the second set of images seem older than 3 (heavy beading on the bases and brows, etc). Also, some bucks make their best jumps from 3 to 4 and this deer made a tremendous jump from the first set of images to the second set of images. Either way, not only a great buck but one tough son-of-a-gun also.
I would lean this way too FWIW. ^^ That looks like a probable shoulder hit with a broadhead I think. We had one that looked much like that once after he had taken a shot to the shoulder with a mechanical head.

Not much penetration, but a sizable surface wound that he did recover from. They are tough critters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wow that’s a huge jump from 2 - 3. Wish all the little 2 yr olds on our farm made that jump. Should be a fun one to track next few years

There thrive to survive is almost unbelievable!! Sweet up and coming buck!!

I just pulled cards and my #1 target buck walked by cam at noon on opening day of gun season sporting a wound. He had a pouch hanging down from his paunch that clearly showed some blood. He was healthy on 11/8 when he went by the same cam so I'm certain it was a gunshot. Hopefully he's a survivor but I'm not confident.

Top Bottom