Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dandy poached

Hate to see such fine animals taken illegally and this guy does not come across as a very bright dude.

Posing with his Sitka gear and other high end hunting gear with a poached buck! Probably just a few of many poached bucks! Build a great case Iowa! This guy should never legally be able to possess another Iowa hunting license!!

Not like u can logic with poachers in general (as its usually just laziness that replaces skill & effort) but logically- if I wanted to rifle big bucks.... I think at that point I’d be looking for bargains to just shoot em in a high fence & tell folks I killed em Hunting. One giant buck poached now is like $15-20k if U get caught. Again- no one Gonna reason with poachers in general but I can’t grasp the excitement or imagine wanting to brag about a deer I shot out a window or at night or whatever.

We had a legit 215-240 NT giant stand in front of car on road at about 5am & wouldn’t move (hot doe). About 10 years ago. Could have easily killed it. WHY?!?! I don’t understand the incentive or enjoyment from that when u do it shady- even if u r driven by bragging & ego- this is crazy but I guess enough bragging & ego is what drives some idiots to do this. It’s also a small % of population but out of all the folks in one area, usually a few bad eggs that cause major issues.

My area had a rash of poachers this year. 3-4 gun shot bucks with heads cut off before dec 1. That’s in a 5 mile radius. Every neighborhood is likely plagued with this on periodic basis. I think it’s wide spread everywhere. I can’t think of an area that doesn’t get it to be honest & good bit likely goes on unknown to many. Why we need to get robo bucks with awesome fines approved through legislature. Poaching in every neighborhood ive ever known is still a major issue.

Okay here’s what I see in the pic that never looks right!!
How many hero shots do you see the hunter posing with a caped out deer especially a buck that size?!?!
Sure.... that’s not always a dead give away norr does it mean poaching when I do see it but very odd this day and age with a buck of this caliber.
I hope the DNR and courts get to the bottom of this case.

One out of every 25 people is a sociopath. Thats almost 7000 of Iowa's deer hunters. That's an awful lot of people trying to kill deer who have little to no care in the world for anything other than themselves. Just like in other areas of society, you will never change those people. The only thing you can do is make the price of getting caught high enough to deter most.

Last edited:
I have been following this story for awhile now. Don't think that the DNR doesn't follow these sites. They came across this buck on Trophy Bucks of Iowa, and you notice all kinds of violations in the pictures on that site.

That guy is a POS, what a way to make your dad proud. Hope they stick him with ten of thousands of dollars in fines. Taking his license away won't do anything. It seems from my laymen education that many of these hardcore poachers have an addiction that can only be stopped by incarceration or death(not implying the death penalty, just they can't stop poaching. Penalties only slow them down)

• Deleted by bigbuckhunter88
Show…
I agree. I've always thought loss of hunting rights was a joke for a poaching sentence. They were convicted for hunting illegally, so not having a license will not deter them

Show…
Show…
Reading the story I feel bad for the guys dad. Some kind of son to put the guy that probably introduced him to hunting in that position.

If you read the article, the comment by the father seems odd.

I saw it. I'm guessing he knew what his son was up to, at least to some degree. My guess is he was ashamed of what he was doing and couldn't bring himself to turn in his own son.

One of my buddies has a thermal scope for his AR. We have used it to recover bow shot deer, look at deer in the dark etc. It is a powerful tool and I could see how it would be a poachers wet dream. We never have it on the gun or even have the gun around when we do this. Now I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing and the gun in the same county.

I saw it. I'm guessing he knew what his son was up to, at least to some degree. My guess is he was ashamed of what he was doing and couldn't bring himself to turn in his own son.

One of my buddies has a thermal scope for his AR. We have used it to recover bow shot deer, look at deer in the dark etc. It is a powerful tool and I could see how it would be a poachers wet dream. We never have it on the gun or even have the gun around when we do this. Now I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing and the gun in the same county.
That's the bad deal with the thermals. Real bad. They are extremely effective for coyotes. Like anything else, abused in the hands of the wrong people.

I hope he gets what he deserves and they hit him with the maximum. Wish they would make it a felony for guys like him so they can't own guns again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That's the bad deal with the thermals. Real bad. They are extremely effective for coyotes. Like anything else, abused in the hands of the wrong people.
I looked hard into buying one last month, couldnt justify it ... I can only imagine a case like this will be a push to get rid of their use.

I looked hard into buying one last month, couldnt justify it ... I can only imagine a case like this will be a push to get rid of their use.

Just wait, it may be showing up at the spring DNR auction for sale after he is convicted, might be able to get a good deal on it?

Thermal scopes + silencers = poachers dream come true

Would hate to know how many deer are taken every year by people that aren't dumb enough to post it on social media and get caught. Hope this dude gets his and more...

Thermal scopes + silencers = poachers dream come true

Would hate to know how many deer are taken every year by people that aren't dumb enough to post it on social media and get caught. Hope this dude gets his and more...

I have a friend with a thermal + silencer set up. He has been pretty successful on coyotes with it. He's gotten at least one at 400+ yards so they are obviously a very effective long range night time killing weapon in the right hands. I will get some first hand experience with some of his thermal stuff on my land once deer season is over.

I'm curious for anyone who has looked through them. Can you identify a big buck with them or do all deer look alike? I assume the antlers wouldn't show up with thermal?

Top Bottom