Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Off Topic- Gas vs Diesel Truck

flugge

Well, for years I have ran F-150s and loved them. I put plenty of miles on for various things, 20,000+ a year, but now we have a camper. While the truck is rated to pull it, I know I will be looking for something new in the next year or so. I am having the big debate right now of gas vs diesel. I know I will be bumping up to a 3/4 ton truck, but that is where it goes out the window for me.
I know diesel up front will cost more, and potential costlier repairs. Will a gas 3/4 ton last as long as the diesel? Or does a person go with the best warranty out there considering mileage the main factor? I know the next 3-5 years will still be really heavy on travel, and then slowing down for awhile after that. Any help or insight?
What kind of mileage are you guys getting with 3/4 tons? I know I will never get the 21 I am getting now, but something real world would be good to know too. Thanks

go diesel. last way longer, more power & wildly better fuel economy. There are already multiple 1/2 ton diesel full sized options already on the market with Ford f150 & chevy silverado on the way.

The other advantages from a 3/4 ton is the fuel economy & the engine is less than $3k more vs. $8-10k more.
Good luck!

I have owned both a gas and diesel ¾ ton. Money aside, diesel all the way.

That being said the ¾ ton gasers have come a long way on their tow ratings. They do have some financial advantages such as initial cost (10-15k), price at the pump (almost $1/gal), repair costs, not dealing with DEF, etc. As far as longevity, diesel will last longer BUT…… friend bought a gas 3/4 ton Dodge and bought a LIFETIME powertrain warranty for very reasonable cost. So, with that in hand its basically a non-issue. If he blows it up, its covered.

Sidenote....I've been wishing for more diesel choices for years. Glad the Big 3 are finally doing it!!!

Having owned both my vote would be for a diesel. I currently own a GMC 1500 which I bought after I owned a GMC Diesel. For me I want a smooth quiet truck for those long hunting trips, I loved my diesel but hated how it rode. That led me to purchase another half ton. With that said, diesels have came such a long way since my 2008, they are extremely quiet and smooth riding thus I will be purchasing one when the time comes to replace my current truck.

As others have said...diesel all the way. When you are pulling some weight, there is no substitute for the torque they have. I own a construction company and we have F-250's in gas and diesel. Once you go diesel, you would be hard pressed to go back to gas, unless you no longer needed to pull anything.
The new gen F-250's (2017 and newer) are awesome trucks!

DIESEL!!!!! Wins on power by a long shot. Longevity- diesel again!!! Downside: like above- costs more (but resale be higher later ). & if Super cold- plug in during winter. If u do a lot of pulling- it’s hard on the gassers so that’s another Benefit to diesels. I’ve had both - I can’t think of any reason I’d go back to a gasser. Maybe if I didn’t pull stuff I would. That’s About it.

You guys have pretty much echoed my thoughts the entire time, but its better to get more opinions

I'll be the odd man out here. I've owned several of both and currently have one of each. I own the diesel because I need the power for hauling over 25,000 lbs of equipment around for work. I regularly haul loads in the 10,000-15,000 lb range with the gas and I'm no slow poke on the road.
With the diesel I pay way more at the pump. Oil changes are about triple, especially when the fuel filter needs changed. Not all gas stations carry diesel. I have to worry about gelling up when it's frigid out. I can't just jump in the pickup to warm up quick a minute in the winter, it takes a few miles drive down the road to get heat pumping. Etc. Etc.
It's not 1970 anymore, a gas pickup is just getting broke in at 200,000 miles. Don't get me wrong, the diesel will outpull a gasser hands down. But no way would I go through all the nuances and expense
of owning a diesel just to tow a camper around once in a while.

My thinking much like above. If only pulling camper handful of times of year I'd also go gas. If often, diesel.

But a gas doesn't look as cool as a turned up diesel with stacks up the back of the cab blowing black smoke going down the highway. :) Whatever you get, make sure it has tow mirrors fully extended and 40" tires.

But seriously, I have a gas 1/2 ton V8. Would like a diesel, but don't really have a use for it right now. I just drive it mostly on the highway, farm lanes/pasture, and pull a 27' camper a few times a year. Grew up on the farm with gas and diesel. Always liked the diesels for the pulling power (and black smoke - hey, I was a kid).

Last edited:
If all you're pulling is a camper, I'd go half ton gas. If you want the extra lug when towing, get the 3.5L Ecoboost. It will ride way better and be way cheaper/less hassle than the diesel. It will pull a camper like a champ, especially with the new 10 speed transmission.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How much does the camper weigh?

I currently own a 2011 Cummins and a 2015 duramax. Diesels are awesome, but expensive to own and maintain. I’m guessing your camper will come in at under 10k and if so I’d have a hard time passing up a nice new 1 ton gasser. If you do get a diesel I’d look into a lightly used one to save some coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be the odd man out here. I've owned several of both and currently have one of each. I own the diesel because I need the power for hauling over 25,000 lbs of equipment around for work. I regularly haul loads in the 10,000-15,000 lb range with the gas and I'm no slow poke on the road.
With the diesel I pay way more at the pump. Oil changes are about triple, especially when the fuel filter needs changed. Not all gas stations carry diesel. I have to worry about gelling up when it's frigid out. I can't just jump in the pickup to warm up quick a minute in the winter, it takes a few miles drive down the road to get heat pumping. Etc. Etc.
It's not 1970 anymore, a gas pickup is just getting broke in at 200,000 miles. Don't get me wrong, the diesel will outpull a gasser hands down. But no way would I go through all the nuances and expense

What kind of diesel truck are you running? At 25k you’re likely over your GVWR an GCWR.

I agree, depends on how big of camper you have also. I run a gas 3/4 pickup for work and often tow. 5-15k loads behind it with a goose neck and while it would be nice to have a diesel I dont think it would justify the cost. It gets me where it needs to go and does the job , very rarely will it go under the speed limit up a large hill with a load on . It does however see some RPMs and drink some gas when shes hooked up. 6-8 towing, 10-14 highway not towing. 2017 Chevy with 6.0 . The ride sucks though compared to a 1/2 ton. Youll recognize that right away.

The camper we will be pulling all over the US (not just Iowa) weighs around 5600 lbs dry without gear. Its 29 feet long.... My half ton (3.5 Ecoboost) I am not concerned with the pulling power of the truck, but as someone mentioned earlier, I get more worried about GVWR and GCWR with it. Half tons dont have a ton of wiggle room to play with after I looked at all my specs, thats my main concern about switching to a heavier duty truck. I take in the account of it will pry be "safer" to upgrade to a more suited truck to handle it. Heck, the wifes first 3 trips planned with the camper are 4+ hours away..

The camper we will be pulling all over the US (not just Iowa) weighs around 5600 lbs dry without gear. Its 29 feet long.... My half ton (3.5 Ecoboost) I am not concerned with the pulling power of the truck, but as someone mentioned earlier, I get more worried about GVWR and GCWR with it. Half tons dont have a ton of wiggle room to play with after I looked at all my specs, thats my main concern about switching to a heavier duty truck. I take in the account of it will pry be "safer" to upgrade to a more suited truck to handle it. Heck, the wifes first 3 trips planned with the camper are 4+ hours away..

That is pretty light. Go with a 2500 gas to get the GVWR needed (even though a 1/2 ton should have sufficient GVWR I’d think. If money isn’t a concern get the diesel and have fun

If all you're pulling is a camper, I'd go half ton gas. If you want the extra lug when towing, get the 3.5L Ecoboost. It will ride way better and be way cheaper/less hassle than the diesel. It will pull a camper like a champ, especially with the new 10 speed transmission.

Disclaimer, I have never had a personal truck that is a diesel, but I can tell you that I too have had the Ford Ecoboost engine and that sucker does pull. I would tend to go with a gasser if you are occasionally pulling a camper...that Ecoboost can do that all day.

Last edited:
I have had both diesel and gas trucks. I prefer a diesel for hauling my tool trailers but the reality is I don't really need one. A 3/4 ton gasser is perfectly sufficient. If you buy diesel and it is used, I would ABSOLUTELY NOT buy one that has had a programmer installed. I have seen endless repairs from head gaskets/ bolts to transmissions. Not all cost the same but my f-250 cost me 10k to have the head gaskets and head studs done. I hauled my 39' camper to Florida with the diesel and the mountains were no match, same trip with the gasser I had a slower trip but the truck handled it great. Im on the side of ny gas powered and save yourself a ton of money.

My f150 combined cargo weight is 1860 lbs. Even with four 200 pound adults, you still have 1000 pounds left. I wouldn't think your trailer would have more than 500 pounds tongue weight.

Top Bottom