Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Knife vs frozen deer neck

Fishbonker

Life Member
The following pics are of a knife I used to cut the head off a frozen (?) doe:

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

I killed the doe in the late afternoon of January 3rd. She laid in my truck bed overnight with temps in the high 20's. The doe is from a CWD area and I wanted to get it tested. I went to the check station this morning (January 4th) to remove the head and leave it in the freezer so the DNR could get the lymph nodes.

I was cutting through the neck and of course I hit bone. The doe I had decapitated earlier in the year with this same knife only took pressure and a little wiggling of the blade to get the job done. I ended up using the knife like a hatchet today to hack though the neck. It got the job done. When I got home and rinsed off the knife I saw the damage.

I don't think the neck was totally frozen because fluids still ran out when I had it severed. So here is my question: Is this typical blade damage when used to chop through a neck or bones in general? I really like this knife. It is well balanced, sharp as a razor, excellent grip and just the right weight. Plus I look like Rambo when I'm using it.

So before I write Cold Steel a nasty gram, in the opinion of the masses did I abuse the blade beyond what it was designed to do or is the blade not up to standards?

Here is a link to the site: https://www.coldsteel.com/marauder.html

And no, I didn't pay $119.00 for it. Slightly more, Tim Wells spoke at the IBA banquet a few years ago and brought this knife for our auction. His autograph is almost worn off. Again, I really like the knife but I want to hear Doug Marcaida say "It will keeeeel".

Using a knife to chop bone is going to mess it up regardless. That's why they make saws.

I seriously hope you get a free knife, ask for a Trail Master, that SOB is awesome.

You killed a deer? Trump says fake news.

By "I killed a deer" I meant my truck killed a deer...…

I used a saw like this last year:

Quick, quiet, battery powered, takes off the head of a poached buck in no time. I'm not a brand snob I'd use any brand of saw, DeWorst was just the first image that popped up.

I'd say when chopping frozen stuff you can expect some damage. But the monopoly man from Forged in Fire puts some knives through way worse punishment than that without that kind of edge failure

Looks like that blade is Aus-8, which isn’t a super hard steel, and, from what I’ve seen, is supposed to be fairly rugged. That’s some pretty substantial chipping - I’d contact Cold Steel to see what they have to say.

If my 5o cent havalon blade can fair up better than that on some frozen meat, something is wrong with that knife. A 20 dolllar walmart knife sure . 100 knife Id be pissed.

I'll send them an email with the photos and see what they say. They do sharpen their knives for the cost of shipping. I think the blade is so sharp the angle of the blade must be less than 20 degrees and I think that could add to the chipping. A 20-25 degree edge would be more durable but not as razor sharp. For reference I believe scalpels are 17 degree blades. They are built to be sharp, not durable.

I'll send them an email with the photos and see what they say. They do sharpen their knives for the cost of shipping. I think the blade is so sharp the angle of the blade must be less than 20 degrees and I think that could add to the chipping. A 20-25 degree edge would be more durable but not as razor sharp. For reference I believe scalpels are 17 degree blades. They are built to be sharp, not durable.

Don’t send the photo with the target in the background or they’ll never believe you killed anything. Looks like a 12” 15 shot group,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t send the photo with the target in the background or they’ll never believe you killed anything. Looks like a 12” 15 shot group

Yeah, the squirrels in the area aren't too worried. I was setting up the scope on this:

IMG_0012.JPG

I bought it a number of years ago from gunrunr. It was in my basement for years and I hadn't ever fired it. My troubles with squirrels is well documented in PMA. I figured it was time to get this gun sighted in. I was using a gun rest/vice but the table was wobbly and it was quite windy. Those shots are at 25, 50 and 70 (my yard is only so big) yards.

I was getting frustrated trying to control for the table so I but the target back at 25 yards and just went off hand. Here are the last three, three shot groups:

IMG_0013.JPG

I still have a lot of work to do with it but I did get the squirrel's attention. Bastards.

Top Bottom