Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Entry Times

Just wondering when others prefer to enter to your stand. For mornings, I used to try to be in the stand at least an hour before daylight, but have heard people (Winke for example) state they like to have some daylight as they enter to see deer before spooking them. The past couple of years I've been more in that boat. I've spooked deer going in either way, which I know is because access to stands is not that great. Just wondered everyone's thoughts on this. Also for afternoons.

The earlier the better is my take. Sometimes I'm running late though. I'd rather be either plenty early, or wait until I can see decent as deer see best in that gray light period. If I have overslept, or am running late I will wait at the truck for a short while to let it get light enough where i can see good. Nothing absolute but just my preference

Depends on the property for us. We have one property we have to be in an hour before light just because a lot of deer tend to be in the area. A different property we can walk in right at first shooting light and still be good because they dont get to us until an hour an a half after shooting light, almost on clockwork too. I generally like to be in an hour roughly before shooting light, personal preference

I try to get in before its light. I find by the time I'm in and set up its probably 5-10 minutes before it gets light enough to see(not shooting light), probably another 15 minutes or so before shooting light. I don't like to be in much earlier than that, especailly if doing an all day sit, just get wore out.

I watched one episode where winke talks about what time he enters his stands and it showed him going in in the mornings. I was shocked to see him often times walking in when it is plenty light enough to shoot.

Personally, I can't stand walking in in shooting light, feel like I am just going to get busted. Walking in in the dark I have plenty of times walked as close to 20 yards of deer feeding etc. Often times it doesn't seem to bother them, they are aware I am going by, but don't know what I am. Sometimes you just see them stand on alert, or are curious, or may even bound off a few yards, but rarely blow and completely spook out. Even with a light, they don't really spook. During visible light, they would be gone. To many times I have had deer come by just as it is getting shooting light that if I had been just then walking in surely would have spooked out.

I try to be in and set up a half hour before shooting light. That doesn't usually happen though...LOL. I would much prefer to walk in while it's still dark than after light for the same reasons sep0667 mentioned above. If you spook a deer in the dark, they generally don't turn inside out but just move off a little ways and stop.

I tend to agree with the two posters above. Spooking a deer in the dark seems (from my experience) to be less harmful than in daylight. I like getting in a little later than most. If I am fully set-up 10-15 minutes before I can shoot, Im happy. I hate sitting in the dark and driving myself insane by over analyzing the noises and trying to make all the dark blobs a deer!

Depends how far off the food source the stand is and the entry route. Only time I really try to go in in dark dark is if I have to cross a field or other wise likely expose myself to deer. Rarely am I actually in the stand before light.

It also depends how cold it is.

Depends how far off the food source the stand is and the entry route. Only time I really try to go in in dark dark is if I have to cross a field or other wise likely expose myself to deer. Rarely am I actually in the stand before light.

It also depends how cold it is.

What do you differently dependent on temperature?

About an hour before sun up and like this afternoon I will be in the blind by three at the latest.

Earlier the better! If I had energy to get in 90 mins before light I would. I’m lazy now though. ;). I’d want deer to fill in behind me well after I go through & have em settled. How many bucks I’ve seen 10 mins after light is pretty nuts. Or dark & one is under me & sticks around. I’m a vote for early well before light.

If I had blinds like Winkes I'd probably live in it for a few days, lol

There is a guy I know from MN that is a serious trophy hunter and he had a super nice blind on a food plot way back in the property. He did that. Slept overnight in the blind, ended up shooting a 180+. He had the bathroom issue all worked out as well:oops:

Top Bottom