Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Direct Planting Oak Seedlings

Muskrat24

Anyone have success with direct planting oak seedlings behind TSI or bedding area projects? I have an old stand of burr, red and black oaks with virtually no whites. Stand was logged years ago and only trash trees filled in where the oaks were logged out so I'm doing a TSI project to release the oaks to promote oak regeneration. The forester said it would be worth a try to plant some white, red and chinkapin seedlings. Dbltree and letemgrow talked about this in the TSI thread but didn't mention how successful the direct seeding in a thinned timber is. Thoughts/experience??

Anyone have success with direct planting oak seedlings behind TSI or bedding area projects? I have an old stand of burr, red and black oaks with virtually no whites. Stand was logged years ago and only trash trees filled in where the oaks were logged out so I'm doing a TSI project to release the oaks to promote oak regeneration. The forester said it would be worth a try to plant some white, red and chinkapin seedlings. Dbltree and letemgrow talked about this in the TSI thread but didn't mention how successful the direct seeding in a thinned timber is. Thoughts/experience??

I think it is worth a try. Need good sun

Works well. U need to do high #’s. If u can prevent critters from digging them up- vastly more successful. So- u do that through both volume & careful protection measures. Protection like tubes secured below soil & ideas implemented that keep squirrels & coons from digging up.

If u want to leave unprotected - need massive volume- that’s how nature works - millions of acorns where critters bury some or can’t consume all of them.
Ur other option is to plant some seedlings & tube em & protect. This won’t be a “one & done”. U will lose some no matter what u do - so follow up, care for em, replant if needed. It’s very doable. Try a few different approaches.
Whites, dco, swamp white & some non-oaks (say chestnut, persimmon, etc) would be what I’d do based on ur current stand.

If you plant seedlings, look into Swamp Bur Oak Hybrid from Kelly Tree Farm in Iowa. They grow fast, and produced acorns early. Swamp White Oak would be good as well.

Following this... I picked up this for planting bareroot seedlings this spring.
IMG958873.jpg

Top Bottom