Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EQIP Application/Program Through NRCS for FMP

Who has done it and what pro's/con's would you site?
Goal in mind is to get cost share assistance for TSI projects but reading through the application agreement I dont know that its worth the hassle of dealing with the Feds...

I think it was worth it, I had a 5 year contract through the WHIP program. My contract covered TSI, cutting invasives out, converting cool season meadows to warm seasons grasses, tree screens, and oak plantings.

I bummed heads a few times, but my NRCS person wanted to push habitat projects and NWSG seed mixes geared towards quail, but the good thing is the rule and regs are available and as long as you stay within the regs you can do what you want. They really pushed short warm seasons and crazy high forbs, I did the absolute minimum on forbs and short blue stem, I wanted big blue, Indian grass, and switch. The also tried to push their mix and their varieties of seeds, but again you can find what is approved in your area and they can't argue, although my agent didn't offer up that info, I had to go find it myself.

I did 90% of the work myself, made decent money for doing projects on my own farm, I thought that was hard to beat!

Don't get me wrong, yes there was a few things we argued or disagreed about, but they all worked out fine. Once my contract was completed I have not dealt with them again, they pretty much were done checking on stuff. I would do it again if I was going to undertake another big expensive project.

I would imagine our NRCS person you deal with locally has a big outcome of your view of the program. This lady in our area bumps heads with most farmers, but I still thought it was worth it. Just make sure to read all contracts and literature because they will follow it to the letter, so make sure it is right.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Never have done EQIP, but many other programs. I have a lot of free or government cost share habitat and acres. I find it to be worth it.

What hassle u referring to?
Getting signed up, the people at my local office can't explain to me what i'm even signing up for or programs that could be applicable to me. I also dont want to play be their rules so its kind of a mute point for me. I want to be able to do some hinge cuttings and cedar plantings in/around my timber. I've decided to deal with my MDC PLC who has been a great help already.

I'm at the end of a year eqip program. My contract has been handed off to 4 different people at the nrcs office due to promotions, moves, etc. That of course, required them, and me helping each one getting up to speed on my contract, on what's been done, what the goals were, and what's left. Yeah, they should be able to read that for themselves in the paperwork.
My only issue, and this is on me, was signing up for a small grain rotation when my tenant wasn't on board. I ended up getting a new tenant, and had to write that into the contact to plant wheat.
Other than those things, I wouldn't hesitate. The mdc is easier to work with tho, but they have less money to spend and might cost share a little less.
So, I'd say, if what you sign up for includes anyone else, make sure they agree what would be required of them, and make sure you can complete everything you sign up for. They have a clawback, if you don't do 1 thing, they have the right to get all monies paid in the program back. Would they do that? Don't know, but why take the chance.

Top Bottom