Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

If deer & deer hunting disappeared what would you do?

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
Ok that's not going to happen anytime soon but hypothetically what would you do? The whole CDW discussion got me thinking about this. ( I am NOT suggesting CWD is going to wipe out deer in any way)

Myself and many many friends have a lifestyle that is interconnected with deer, hunting, habitat, etc. I honestly have no clue what would fill that if it didn't exhist. It's not just a hobby, but rather a lifestyle. I'm not sure what could replace that. Maybe get into coaching youth sports or somthing. I really don't know.

Interesting to think about.

What would you do?

We're in a pretty serious cwd area here, so I've given a little thought to that. I'm not really into sports. Not sure yet if my kids will be. They're young. Off the top of my head, my 1st thought would be to put in some shallow ponds for ducks and a whole bunch of upland bird habitat. Already have some switch in place, but not much of the wetlands. I've always avoided getting hard core into duck hunting because I want to stay committed to deer. So maybe it'd be an easy and interesting new transition/challenge. And could always still hunt rabbits and squirrels, and shed hunt too. Good topic. Two pinewood derby cars are keeping me busy tonight.

get addicted to crack or start knitting....either would certainly fill the time.....or a guy could start a fight club......i would do alot of staring aimlessly into the timber....walk around and moan alot....move to the city and start a gang...really several options here.....

But on the more serious side...I would waterfowl hunt but trust me as a guy who use to only waterfowl hunt shooting your limit every time you hunt can get old pretty quick....
basically it would suck and i would hate life....

Deer do not take up that much of my time now. I would miss the meat though. About the only meat I eat. Iowa Biologist I know says he doubts CWD will have a great impact in my lifetime, but may have on future generations. Coarse as stated in another post. I am getting to be an OLD Codger...

Pheasant hunting!! Oh wait- those already dissapeared and that’s why I’m deer hunting!! ;).

Fish, elk & mule deer. I would pheasant hunt in SD.

Same thing I wonder when I’m driving around my farm “if I lived here & didn’t farm or love the outdoors - I can see how people get into being drunken meth heads & popping out 8 kids they can’t take care of”. It’s sad in some of those rural towns.

Just for a hobby & enjoyment - I think if no more deer hunting I probably would just small game hunt & take hunting trips out west to be honest. So- do what my buddies do that live in MI.

Above responses from u guys are awesome!!!

Hey,,,Maybe that's why I see so few older deer in my area. Maybe it's not poaching. Maybe not brown it's down neighbors. Maybe CWD ? Guess not....

That would be really hard on my bottom line as I assume my property values would drop substantially.
That is one of the more understated issues of having the deer Taliban (aka sharp shooters) show up to an area and knock down population levels as much as they can. Who would want to buy in that area? The answer is no-one.... at least in the rec market. Some farmers would love it as the timber areas of farms would be valued very low.

get addicted to crack or start knitting....either would certainly fill the time.....or a guy could start a fight club......i would do alot of staring aimlessly into the timber....walk around and moan alot....move to the city and start a gang...really several options here.....

But on the more serious side...I would waterfowl hunt but trust me as a guy who use to only waterfowl hunt shooting your limit every time you hunt can get old pretty quick....
basically it would suck and i would hate life....
You trying to say we don't already have crack induced knitting parties?

Hunt something else. In a real worst case scenario and all hunting was over for me for whatever circumstance, it would suck and I'd be grumpy for some time, but I'd would put that energy into something else and continue a happy life. Fishing, golfing, family, volunteer more, etc.

Start a squirrel hunting outfitting business.

Ok, probably try hunting other animals (small game, birds, elk). Definitely more coyote hunting. Get more into horses and helping on the cattle farm. Save more money? Probably not with these other options listed.

I'd likely take 1 or 2 out of state trips each year to pursue some kind of big game. Right now I take zero. I could really foresee coyote hunting taking over most of my free time that I would have been deer hunting.

deer hunting has been the norm for me for too many years to really contemplate what I would do... Coyotes, but I think they would get thin or educated in a hurry if everyone suddenly made the switch... I would more than likely reminisce on here with everyone else about all the deer hunting we used to do...

Top Bottom