Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth deer hunting

One more step to crossbows for everyone. Not a fan.

I also think the wording could use some work. I originally read it as the mentor hunting with the youth could use a crossbow.

Personally I’m a gigantic fan of this. I cannot comprehend why it hasn’t been legal before now. I would love the opportunity to take my girls out with a crossbow. They enjoy shooting our muzzleloader (started at age 4 with 50 grains of powder) but they’re not ready to take a turkey/deer with a firearm. A crossbow is the perfect way to introduce them to hunting.

I don’t understand how you can politize this. IF you don’t feel it’s what’s best for introducing kids to the outdoors I can appreciate that. If you oppose this because you are worried about “giving an inch” then I think you’re missing the point.

Is the crossbow only legal during the youth season or can the kids still use the crossbow during bow season if they don't fill their tag in the youth season?

Is the crossbow only legal during the youth season or can the kids still use the crossbow during bow season if they don't fill their tag in the youth season?

This change makes the crossbow legal on the youth tag for any season. So, it would be good for regular bow season.

Personally I’m a gigantic fan of this. I cannot comprehend why it hasn’t been legal before now. I would love the opportunity to take my girls out with a crossbow. They enjoy shooting our muzzleloader (started at age 4 with 50 grains of powder) but they’re not ready to take a turkey/deer with a firearm. A crossbow is the perfect way to introduce them to hunting.

I don’t understand how you can politize this. IF you don’t feel it’s what’s best for introducing kids to the outdoors I can appreciate that. If you oppose this because you are worried about “giving an inch” then I think you’re missing the point.

Why do you say they are not ready to take a deer or turkey with a firearm? If they already shoot a reduced load muzzleloader, it seems they are ready. Both of my boys killed deer with a 180 grain bullet and 60 or 70 grains of powder because they were not ready for a 20 gauge with slugs.

I think there are enough options for youth now, and this is from someone who has a grandchild on the way who I hope will be interested in hunting.

This add-on, in my view, is a way to kids kids hooked on crossbows and will lead to crossbows in other seasons.

I don't know how anyone can look at the recent trend of more weapons in more seasons and not be worried about "giving an inch".

Agree 100% Rjack. There are plenty of options/opportunities for the youth. Especially now with the straight walls. This is just a simple way to USE our youth as an excuse to get crossbows into our state and seasons. I have 10 and 8 year old boys that do just fine with the current weapons and laws in place and because of the bigger picture here cannot support this and will be contacting my legislators to oppose this bill.

This change makes the crossbow legal on the youth tag for any season. So, it would be good for regular bow season.

There is nothing wrong with a youth having to grow some to be able to handle a weapon capable of taking a deer down. I love to see youth involved in hunting, fishing and trapping...but being able to kill a deer at an age where you aren't grown enough to handle a weapon will do little to expand the base. Meanwhile...drip, drip, drip...next year someone will propose that since the kids are using crossbows now "fill in the blank" should be allowed to use them too.

There are plenty of opportunities for youth hunters as it is. If they don't become life long deer hunters, it certainly is not because they aren't given enough opportunity through the states regulations.
You know how a child gets when they are being bombarded with too many presents at Christmas? Pretty soon they are throwing them to the side barely looking at them so they can grab the next one. I kind of feel we are doing something similar with youth deer hunting.
I sometimes think people want so badly for there kids to be successful that they forget the lessons learned through trial, error, and failure. Those are the lessons that lead to success later in life.

I want to see youth back with set dates. Using tags all year, seeing 5 year old kids killing monsters when it’s -20 below out I just have a hard time believing. It saying they can’t do it but I wonder. Give them September. Then use the learning lesson that sometimes you don’t always fill a tag and here is how a season works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to see youth back with set dates. Using tags all year, seeing 5 year old kids killing monsters when it’s -20 below out I just have a hard time believing. It saying they can’t do it but I wonder. Give them September. Then use the learning lesson that sometimes you don’t always fill a tag and here is how a season works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely, I think you need to leave them wanting more when it's done. Giving them what seams like an endless season is not helping recruit hunters. I have noticed that my daughter has a hard time turning down other activities in order to go deer hunting. If something else comes up, she just figures there is always next week to hunt deer. I think many would put more effort forth and get more excitement from a quicker, all or nothing season . The seemingly never ending season just never leaves you with no sense of urgency.

Last edited:
Oh, and we do still have small game seasons if you want to start them out hunting squirrels. Sometimes I miss the simplicity of a 22, a handful of shells, and a pocket knife.

Maybe my view is tilted because my oldest two are girls. I think a crossbow is an incredible option for them. Sure they could take a deer with a gun but I would love them to experience archery as early as possible.

I should probably clarify my opinion: I’m a much bigger fan of youth having a crossbow option than it being a legal method for adult hunters during late muzzleloader.

Maybe my view is tilted because my oldest two are girls. I think a crossbow is an incredible option for them. Sure they could take a deer with a gun but I would love them to experience archery as early as possible.

I should probably clarify my opinion: I’m a much bigger fan of youth having a crossbow option than it being a legal method for adult hunters during late muzzleloader.

FYI, I took my boys on archery outings for two seasons each before they were able to draw enough pounds to bow hunt themselves. Some of our VERY BEST memories are from those hunts, where Dad was hunting and they were for the most part watching. I did let them handle the rattling antlers and the grunt call too and believe it or not...that led directly to one of them turning from a "take it or leave it" hunter to an absolute nut for hunting, still to this day.

One night he rattled in two nice bucks and I passed them both, in retrospect, I should have whacked the second one, oh well. But that did it...when we got back on the ground that night...he turned to me and said, "That was FUN!". A hunter was born! Don't underestimate the value of just being together with them in the outdoors, there will be plenty of time for kills later.

How many of us here were 12 years old slapped with a way too heavy 20 gauge and some walmart slugs and out shooting at deer. Dad used to carry around an empty mineral tub and flip it over for me as a rest and id sit on my ass in the snow. I think I turned out alright lol

It's basically a firearm. Dont have to draw it, the new ones are crazy accurate out past 100 yards and that takes way less skill than archery if you factor in a field pod or rest of sorts.

And the problems with any of this is what exactly? Single shot, similar to a muzzle loader and bow. Inability to get off a quick second shot, similar to a muzzle loader. Effective range can be a bit better than a bow in ideal conditions, but less than most modern muzzle loaders. Low recoil. Little sound. Good accuracy. Etc. I own a crossbow and have practiced with it, but have yet to hunt with it because frankly, I can free hand shoot better with my bow out to 60 yards and I'll take the benefit of a quicker followup shot with my bow over the crossbow as well. Plus my bow is easier and lighter to carry. But those are all my personal opinions. If we look at it from a sportsman standpoint, as long as animals aren't being harvested illegally and we both encourage more new comers to get into hunting AND increase accuracy of shots and overall mortality / recovery rates for shot animals, how can the use of crossbows be seen as a negative? I still don't get it the friction against them, but again, these are just my opinions.

And the problems with any of this is what exactly? Single shot, similar to a muzzle loader and bow. Inability to get off a quick second shot, similar to a muzzle loader. Effective range can be a bit better than a bow in ideal conditions, but less than most modern muzzle loaders. Low recoil. Little sound. Good accuracy. Etc. I own a crossbow and have practiced with it, but have yet to hunt with it because frankly, I can free hand shoot better with my bow out to 60 yards and I'll take the benefit of a quicker followup shot with my bow over the crossbow as well. Plus my bow is easier and lighter to carry. But those are all my personal opinions. If we look at it from a sportsman standpoint, as long as animals aren't being harvested illegally and we both encourage more new comers to get into hunting AND increase accuracy of shots and overall mortality / recovery rates for shot animals, how can the use of crossbows be seen as a negative? I still don't get it the friction against them, but again, these are just my opinions.
My comments are towards them being in the general bow season. I dont have a problem with it during late season pr youth season other than people then wanting to make it okay during archery season. You wanna use one? Cool take that waiver you have printed up and take it to your doctor and tell him to give you a permit or else he better sign the waiver.

Top Bottom