Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth deer hunting

My comments are towards them being in the general bow season. I dont have a problem with it during late season pr youth season other than people then wanting to make it okay during archery season. You wanna use one? Cool take that waiver you have printed up and take it to your doctor and tell him to give you a permit or else he better sign the waiver.

I've had a lifetime crossbow permit for the past few years now. I did the valid waiver thing with my Dr. and received my permit in the mail. I still prefer bow over crossbow for the reasons I listed above.

Once one or two compound bows on the market reach a certain arrow speed or become accurate out to a certain distance, should ALL compound bows be outlawed for archery season at that time? Should archery season ban all bows with any sort of cam system? That's what I'm hearing about crossbows. They're TOO fast. They're TOO accurate. They shoot TOO far. Arrow speed, accuracy and distance are all things that bow companies strive to improve upon year after year. Who should be in charge of setting the criteria that limits all of these characteristics?

The crossbow still launches a stick with a string, like all other archery bows. They have their advantages and disadvantages, just like any other hunting weapon.

Lots of examples of others states regretting allowing crossbows in archery. Seems every year we beat this dead horse in legislation and on here.

Here is a recent article published in Field and stream

https://www.fieldandstream.com/are-crossbows-threatening-bowhunting-tradition

Good article. Thanks for posting. A quote from the WY report read: “If archery success continues to rise due to advances in equipment, opportunity provided by those seasons will have to be reduced, or more stringent limitations put on legal gear.” This quote is one that I totally stand behind. If and when the statistics prove that deer numbers are declining at an unacceptable rate in direct correlation to increasing archery success rates due to advances in archery equipment, THIS is the time that limitations on archery equipment should be visited and possibly implemented. Until this time comes, a crossbow is just another type of bow and should be allowed during archery season for everyone. IMO.

I've had a lifetime crossbow permit for the past few years now. I did the valid waiver thing with my Dr. and received my permit in the mail. I still prefer bow over crossbow for the reasons I listed above.

Once one or two compound bows on the market reach a certain arrow speed or become accurate out to a certain distance, should ALL compound bows be outlawed for archery season at that time? Should archery season ban all bows with any sort of cam system? That's what I'm hearing about crossbows. They're TOO fast. They're TOO accurate. They shoot TOO far. Arrow speed, accuracy and distance are all things that bow companies strive to improve upon year after year. Who should be in charge of setting the criteria that limits all of these characteristics?

The crossbow still launches a stick with a string, like all other archery bows. They have their advantages and disadvantages, just like any other hunting weapon.
My biggest complaints about them. You dont have to draw them when the deer are present and you can use some other device to rest them on. Anybody can squeeze a trigger

My biggest complaints about them. You dont have to draw them when the deer are present and you can use some other device to rest them on. Anybody can squeeze a trigger

Both of these complaints are valid. I hear what you're saying. In response, a true traditionalist archer could say modern compound bows provide dramatic let-off at full draw, allowing the hunter a lengthy hold time at full draw as compared to a long and recurve bows, in turn, providing an unfair advantage. Anybody can hold 15 pounds for 60 seconds. Or that mechanical releases shouldn't be allowed because of the 'anybody can squeeze a trigger' comment. I don't agree with this mentality either. They're all sticks and strings, and we should all be striving for better accuracy, ethical harvests, and quick kills. Advances in modern weaponry help us all to achieve those things.

Why is Iowa infatuated with adding more and more weapons and more seasons every year ?
We are only a year or two away from 24/7/365 deer hunting with any weapon imaginable.
LEAVE OUR DEER SEASON ALONE!

Sounds like Minnesota! Since 2003 we have doubled the amount of gun season days...added more youth seasons (during current archery season). It’s more license $$$ that’s it, crushes the quality of the herd.

There are new crossbows on the market now reaching 470 Feet Per Second and have Scope adjustments out to 200 yards.
New compound bows have not gotten any faster in the last 15-20 years - we have had bows shooting 360 FPS since the late 90's or so - cant remember exactly without doing some more research.

Don’t forget to add this one!

73d366344bc2f118681ba788d731889e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom