Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tracking wounded deer with leashed dogs HF82

With the included language that a leash is required and permission must be obtained from landowner, I support this.

I'm with Rjack. Also wouldn't be against it adding certified or trackers affiliated with a blood trackers association that exists if that would help it pass, but I support it as is now.

I have a question for the group...... now be honest!!!!
If we are hunting a wound a buck and he’s really BIG most would love to have the ability to use dogs if we get in that situation.
Here’s the question would you use dogs for a measly doe and waste a evening or a day during the rut to look for her.
Just curious I’m on both sides of the fence I’d like to see this but then I think not
Go!

Very valid question Ishi. I guess for me I don't see myself ever owning a tracking dog, probably not a good idea to train one of my coonhounds to track blood from a deer, so for me I'd probably have to hire someone with a dog. I hate to say this but no I probably wouldn't pay for that service to track a doe but probably would for a big buck and I totally agree that its hypocritical of me to say that.

If we are hunting a wound a buck and he’s really BIG most would love to have the ability to use dogs if we get in that situation.
Here’s the question would you use dogs for a measly doe and waste a evening or a day during the rut to look for her.
Just curious I’m on both sides of the fence I’d like to see this but then I think not
Go!
We have gone into places we would rather not to look for a doe before but I'm with Hawk32. I would not try to find a tracker or dog let alone pay for one to find a doe. Probably not a big buck either though but I'm weird like that.

All for leashed dogs and landowner permission. But how does that go with the current rule of being able to track game without permission so long as you leave your weapon at the fence?

I wouldn't pay a tracking dog to find a doe. Sad but true.

This is a no brainer IMO. If you wound an animal this should be a tool available to recover it.

It is a no brainer as long as the dogs are leashed and restricted to where they have been given permission. I will say though that I have spoken with "dog trailing enthusiasts" that have strong feelings that they should not be limited to crossing property boundaries. That is not to say that all people think that way, but some do. I always want a legitimate hunter to be able to recover their wounded animal, but bad actors that would take their hound across your land to find their "wounded" deer so as to effectively bump deer off would wreck this but quick IMO.

It is a no brainer as long as the dogs are leashed and restricted to where they have been given permission. I will say though that I have spoken with "dog trailing enthusiasts" that have strong feelings that they should not be limited to crossing property boundaries. That is not to say that all people think that way, but some do. I always want a legitimate hunter to be able to recover their wounded animal, but bad actors that would take their hound across your land to find their "wounded" deer so as to effectively bump deer off would wreck this but quick IMO.
You didn’t answer my question Daver!
No it’s not a trick question:)

Go!
In all seriousness, I will spend as much time looking for one as another. My longest track job ever was on a small buck I shot just because my young son was with me. It was a high hit either from it ducking or me making bad shot, so I did not track at all that evening. I spent he whole next day tracking through the snow and finally quit when it crossed a river. I HATE losing deer. I've felt so bad before that I quit for the one of the best weeks of the rut just because I felt so miserable. Not being holier than though, I just feel so rotten that I cant enjoy hunting for a while if I lose one.

On the original post, I hope this passes so if I use my dog to track I don't get in trouble. I've walled my dog, without a weapon, on private property more than once when I or a friend had the urge for a nice walk.

I am color blind, so trailing in general is a lot harder for me. Would I pay to have someone track any of my deer? Nope... Do I spend just as much time looking for a buck as a doe? Yes... I actually spent longer this year looking for a doe than I did a buck.

I'd pay for a dog to track a buck, not sure if i would for a doe. I would call around and see if any of the dog handlers wanted their dog on a track to learn and for practice but not sure I'd pay an amount other than a tip. I've followed Callies Chronicles on youtube and in his first year he would track for a tip and to get the dog experience.

Dogs trained just for this are amazing. Absolutely incredible. Tons of training. Not sure how well an untrained dog would do. I'm guessing not well.

I have a bloodhound that was trained at one time, haven’t used him. The German Shepard is pretty sharp, think she’d catch on in a hurry. Might start working with the new Great Pyrénées pup if this passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn’t answer my question Daver!
No it’s not a trick question:)

OK, didn't see it earlier. Would I hire a tracker to find a doe? Most likely no. But I am not sure I would hire one for a buck either. I probably would though, I wouldn't be against using one, I guess it would depend on how much it costs. My sense is that some of these trackers get several hundred dollars per track.

FWIW, many years ago now I wounded a tom turkey in the spring. After looking on my own for quite awhile, I drove all the way home, got my black lab(pheasant hunter) and drove back to use that dog to hopefully find that tom. The thought that this might not be permitted never crossed my mind...I just wanted to find that bird. Generally, I support trying hard to find any wounded game...but I am also leery of some that would distort the intent. If I thought my dog might find a wounded deer...I suspect I would make sure that dog came along with me as I looked for acorns...as long as it was on my land or land that I had permission to do so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom