Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Indian Burial Mounds

cybball

Anyone ever seen any Indian burial mounds in Iowa? I’m curious what they might look like. There is a spot I hunt that has several mounds of dirt in the timber that are about 2-3 feet high and 10 feet long. Maybe 4-5 feet wide. I have found a bunch online but they seem to be much larger that what I am seeing. Wasn’t sure if they made them smaller. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these near an edge of a field, or where a field was once cleared? It could just be where a dozer left a pile after clearing a field and many years later you have what looks like a burial mound, but it may just be the remnants of a spoilage pile.

No these are on high points of ridges on the edge in timber overlooking valley, there's state ground with protected burial site a few miles down stream that look just like these

No joke- my buddy goes hunting & finds a human skull & Skeleton. Yikes! Ended up solving some 5-6 year old mystery.

What makes you think they are old enough to be Indian?

Nothing at all really. They sit at the top of a ridge overlooking ravines. No fields within 500 yards. They honestly could be piles of dirt from years ago. It’s in timber.

No joke- my buddy goes hunting & finds a human skull & Skeleton. Yikes! Ended up solving some 5-6 year old mystery.

That would flip me out. Sometimes I wonder about that though. Some of the places we all hunt would be good places to hide bodies. No, not speaking from experience.

No these are on high points of ridges on the edge in timber overlooking valley, there's state ground with protected burial site a few miles down stream that look just like these

This sounds a little like what I have found.

My buddies place in southern Warren county where I hunt has several. One of my stands is 10 yards from one. There is an easement for a gas line that runs along his property line and they had to have an archeologist come in and sign off on everything so they could replace the line about a year ago. I will need to contact him and see which tribe it is, as I don't remember.

My buddies place in southern Warren county where I hunt has several. One of my stands is 10 yards from one. There is an easement for a gas line that runs along his property line and they had to have an archeologist come in and sign off on everything so they could replace the line about a year ago. I will need to contact him and see which tribe it is, as I don't remember.
What do they look like on his place? Round? Oval? How big? Just curious. The mounds of dirt I'm seeing aren't super big like most I see online.

Anybody can have access. Somebody (Skip if I remember right) posted the GIS link that includes hillshade last year. It’s an incredible tool!!
I've used the Lidar view. It shows them. Just don't know if they are plain old dirt piles from a farmer long ago, or Indian mounds. Guess I may never know unless I have a pro come look.

Top Bottom