Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Killing locust tree's

Garlon is a "better" option. It does not translocate as much as Tordon and if applied at the right time is just as effective.

Honey Locust is pretty easy to kill by just girdling. Black Locust is a different beast. About the safest way to deal with Black Locust is to just let it naturally die off. You will not get , or very few, sprouts. If you remove Black Locust over story or mid story, and allow sunlight in you will be fighting thousands of stump and root sprouts. Hopefully chemical application will kill the root system also. It is not the most desirable option but it is the safest, rather than dealing with all the sprouts you may get and the cost associated in doing so.

I've not dealt with Garlon but the ingredients & label I just looked at - 1) it almost has to be safer than Tordon (and yes, you can use tordon SAFELY and EFFECTIVELY but guys who aren't careful have more concerns). 2) Almost by Tordon's nature, Garlon has to translocate less than Tordon. Again, effective ways to use tordon though.

SO.... For me.... I'll pry use up my tried, tested and true tordon in my perfectly sealed Stihl sprayer and carefully apply it to invasive trees or weed trees (remember, NEVER EVER spray something like Tordon on the cuts of say an inferior white oak you cut to free up the premium white oak, NEVER DO THAT!!!!) and make sure none gets on ground, etc. After that, I'm going to give Garlon a try.

Garlon (I use the 3A) in the mid-late summer absolutely nukes stuff

50/50 with water in a girdle and the trees are cooked crazy fast... Good stuff.

A couple questions. Where can you buy Garlon?? Can I spray it in the girdle rings this time of year and it be effective?? Mix 50% Garlon with 50% water... That's it and will it spray out of a spray bottle or best way to apply?? Thanks

A couple questions. Where can you buy Garlon?? Can I spray it in the girdle rings this time of year and it be effective?? Mix 50% Garlon with 50% water... That's it and will it spray out of a spray bottle or best way to apply?? Thanks

This time of year mix it with diesel, or a crop oil. What are you treating? 40-50% Garlon should work on Locust. knock it back to 20-30% for other species.

This time of year mix it with diesel, or a crop oil. What are you treating? 40-50% Garlon should work on Locust. knock it back to 20-30% for other species.

I am mainly concerned with treating locust tree's. Just looking for the best mixture to use and the best time/way to apply! Thanks

I talked with my local DNR forester and he recommended 50/50 mix of Roundup and diesel fuel. Has anyone had good results with that mixture or should l try and find Garlon?? Still a little unsure on what mix is best to use on locust tree's that i have and will be girdling!! Thanks

Just a heads up. Cutting them in spring and summer and they will sprout up from the roots even if you kill the stump with Tordon. Winter is best for killing them dead. Grazon mixed with a surfactant and Remedy with tank on a 4 wheeler will finish off the sprouts. It kill trees up to 8 ft tall or bigger but ya have to wash them down.

Question on Locust sprouts..... Do you think you have to treat every single one or since they are all connected underground will sporadic chemical treatment kill the whole stand? The reason I ask is I have thousand so sprouts. Trying to treat every one will be nearly impossible.

Question on Locust sprouts..... Do you think you have to treat every single one or since they are all connected underground will sporadic chemical treatment kill the whole stand? The reason I ask is I have thousand so sprouts. Trying to treat every one will be nearly impossible.

So.... to clarify.... u talking about a topped off or girdled trees that grew back tons of sprouts & u want to kill it. OR- do u mean a group of locust trees where the root systems graft together & get a systemic kill that way?

K- little bit of opening a can of worms BUT... u can go to a carefully applied but more concentrated rate of something like garlon (triclopyr + 2,4-d type of herbicides) - anything u top off or get into cambium layer with them- evenly spread, will really get into tree system. Concentrated & evenly applied will be ur best chance at killing like-kind tree species. & it for sure can work. (Why you don’t cull a white oak next to another crop tree white oak & use herbicides- can kill both). Locust are a tougher species for sure.

If you are treating limited sprouts on a tree full of sprouts - should knock it dead. If you wanna kill surrounding trees- I’m guessing it’s trial & error. It will likely work some of the time. Dunno if you totally wipe them out. Another idea is to have a really sharp chainsaw & just cut into cambium layer with a nice nasty cut (much like hatchet - hack & squirt).... can hit a lot of trees in short period with chainsaw. Go back with sprayer & takes little Time. I’m doing this now on a cluster of black locust so I’m going to experiment more. Fire back on how it goes for sure though!!!

So.... to clarify.... u talking about a topped off or girdled trees that grew back tons of sprouts & u want to kill it. OR- do u mean a group of locust trees where the root systems graft together & get a systemic kill that way?

K- little bit of opening a can of worms BUT... u can go to a carefully applied but more concentrated rate of something like garlon (triclopyr + 2,4-d type of herbicides) - anything u top off or get into cambium layer with them- evenly spread, will really get into tree system. Concentrated & evenly applied will be ur best chance at killing like-kind tree species. & it for sure can work. (Why you don’t cull a white oak next to another crop tree white oak & use herbicides- can kill both). Locust are a tougher species for sure.

If you are treating limited sprouts on a tree full of sprouts - should knock it dead. If you wanna kill surrounding trees- I’m guessing it’s trial & error. It will likely work some of the time. Dunno if you totally wipe them out. Another idea is to have a really sharp chainsaw & just cut into cambium layer with a nice nasty cut (much like hatchet - hack & squirt).... can hit a lot of trees in short period with chainsaw. Go back with sprayer & takes little Time. I’m doing this now on a cluster of black locust so I’m going to experiment more. Fire back on how it goes for sure though!!!
So someone girdled maybe 50-75 6-10" locust probably 5 years ago. Now there is litterally thousands of 1"-3" trees all over the place. From what I understand these and all shoots off the same root structure of the previously killed larger trees. If that is accurate... Was hoping spot treating would translocate thru the root structure. Treating every single one of the little "trees" just not realistic. I guess I will find out....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I’d guess that will work. Yep. In that case- be surprised if it didn’t.

how large of an area is this? I think you could do a pretty good chunk in a weekend with a lopping shear and spray bottle of stump killer. Maybe cut and spray one every couple feet on a grid.

how large of an area is this? I think you could do a pretty good chunk in a weekend with a lopping shear and spray bottle of stump killer. Maybe cut and spray one every couple feet on a grid.
A few acres now. Someone really did the timber a disservice "killing" the larger trees. I'll shoot a video so others can see what not to do.

We just bought out first farm and it's loaded with locust trees in the pasture where it hadn't been mowed. Anything from 1"-2" trunks all the way to 6"-10" trees. I've got a guy lined up to doze them next winter (after the pasture lease expires). Will I have issues with the root system or does dozing solve the issue?

We just bought out first farm and it's loaded with locust trees in the pasture where it hadn't been mowed. Anything from 1"-2" trunks all the way to 6"-10" trees. I've got a guy lined up to doze them next winter (after the pasture lease expires). Will I have issues with the root system or does dozing solve the issue?
You will have issues I'd bet. I suggest pulling the smaller trees (Tree puller on skidsteer). This will pull most of the roots out. Less issues.

Top Bottom