Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

350 legend offering from Winchester

chipterp

PMA Member
Just wondering what people think of the new offering from Winchester for the straight wall cartridge offerings. I think it would work well for my kids in youth season.

I thought the same. My main question is will they meet the .357 requirement as it is written currently? Haven't looked into it but assuming not if it is a true .350 caliber. I brought this gun up to a bunch of people and one said he read about it on a Michigan forum and those users were unenthused by its performance compared to a 450 or 45-70. Will have to keep an eye on it and do more research.

• Deleted by chipterp
  • Reason: Nothing
Show…
If it’s just been released I’m wondering how they had access to the cartridge or gun to test it out without working for Winchester. And as long as it would be legal and work out to 100 yards for the kids I’m very interested in not cleaning the muzzleloaders.

If it’s just been released I’m wondering how they had access to the cartridge or gun to test it out without working for Winchester. And as long as it would be legal and work out to 100 yards for the kids I’m very interested in not cleaning the muzzleloaders.
I agree and was also curious how they had field tested. Just did a little snooping and theres tons of topics on it on that forum. The one I read was comparing ballistics and numbers

New stuff is fun, but I think this is a great example of unintended consequences of a law change. The "straight wall" language was intended to provide "typical" handgun cartridges.

Now, gun manufacturers are building straight wall cartridges with similar ballistics as tapered wall (traditional centerfire rounds) cartridges. The 350 Legend is compared to the 30-30. How long until there is a straight wall with the ballistics as a 300 Win Mag?

This round does sound interesting. Wondering why they call it a 350 instead of the actual 357 tho. Kinda misleading. Maybe 350 rolls off the tongue better.

New stuff is fun, but I think this is a great example of unintended consequences of a law change. The "straight wall" language was intended to provide "typical" handgun cartridges.

Now, gun manufacturers are building straight wall cartridges with similar ballistics as tapered wall (traditional centerfire rounds) cartridges. The 350 Legend is compared to the 30-30. How long until there is a straight wall with the ballistics as a 300 Win Mag?
And there in lies the problem. Once there is a cartridge that meets 30-30, 308, etc. ballistics why not just legalize 30-30 and 308? And that is how you get a slow creep to continue and end up being a significant change without people realizing how we got there. If when the original rule came out they proposed even legalizing a 30-30 it probably would not have passed. But we will likely end up with the equivalent or more being legal anyway. Just like when muzzleloader seasons were introduced for primitive hunting. Now an inline scoped muzzle loader can shoot 200+ yards like falling off a log. Not to mention 300+++ yard tack driving single shot rifles...I mean smokeless muzzleloaders. As long as legislatures keep changing regs and adding methods/seasons/weapons this will continue. Don't get me wrong, once it is legal I don't fault or look down on any hunter choosing to use a legal method or weapon. (Full disclosure - I bought a 45-70) I, like many here, wish they would just quit trying to fix what is not broken or eventually it will be broken.

True but thats all you need with most guns in most instances.
Agreed for hunters like you, me, and probably everyone on this site. I gun hunted enough to know there are MANY guys who hunt once a year during gun season and any deer they see they unloaded the ole wingmaster. Now, give them 30 rounds in an AR platform with traditional centerfire capabilities and there is no place safe enough in the same section with them.

And there in lies the problem. Once there is a cartridge that meets 30-30, 308, etc. ballistics why not just legalize 30-30 and 308? And that is how you get a slow creep to continue and end up being a significant change without people realizing how we got there. If when the original rule came out they proposed even legalizing a 30-30 it probably would not have passed. But we will likely end up with the equivalent or more being legal anyway. Just like when muzzleloader seasons were introduced for primitive hunting. Now an inline scoped muzzle loader can shoot 200+ yards like falling off a log. Not to mention 300+++ yard tack driving single shot rifles...I mean smokeless muzzleloaders. As long as legislatures keep changing regs and adding methods/seasons/weapons this will continue. Don't get me wrong, once it is legal I don't fault or look down on any hunter choosing to use a legal method or weapon. (Full disclosure - I bought a 45-70) I, like many here, wish they would just quit trying to fix what is not broken or eventually it will be broken.
Agree, ,but everyone seems that we need to cater to everyone's niche or kid. How many of us were 12 -14 years old and slinging a 20 gauge 870, we are still here... Recoil never bothered me growing up , and I was the scrawniest smallest kid in my grade. 12 years old passed hunters safety, first day of deer season I dropped 3 does with an 11-87 . Dad had to make me quit.

I agree and was also curious how they had field tested. Just did a little snooping and theres tons of topics on it on that forum. The one I read was comparing ballistics and numbers

I don’t know who “they” is, but prior to SHOT, Winchester employees had harvested over 30 deer with the round out to 200 yards, all of which were one shot kills, none of which traveled more than 30 yards (according to two publication reviews I read).

It meets Iowa’s definition of a legal straight wall cartridge for deer hunting. I love my 450 Bushmaster, but why on earth wouldn’t I build another upper and have the choice to shoot 350L as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom