Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pollinator mix

Reit38

I am looking to do about an acre of pollinator habitat at my house. I took the ground of out crops 2 yrs ago and mow it 3-4 times a year spraying it with 2-4d to keep the weeds knocked down.

I think I've finally decided that it needs to be in some sort of native grass or flowers. I talked to ncrs office 2 yrs ago and they just wanted to put it in crp and that was it. Didnt seem worth it to me.

Anyone know of any programs I can put this small of a plot into that would help for cost share or know of a decent place to get a decent mix. I think we would prefer more of a wildflower plot for pollinators then we would grasses but I understand they go together.

Also thought of planting a few hardwoods...... would like something that I might actually get to see grow in next 10 or so years. Thought of oaks but wasn't sure which one I would have best luck growing at a faster pace.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Oaks are always a good idea!

Swamp White Oak, Bur Oak, hybrids of the two....grow fairly fast.
Protect them though.

Ya tubes most likely. U can get REAP or EQUIP funds to do any plantings. Natives, trees, pollinator, whatever. Like above, Nrcs will be a start there. Another option is to see if any NWTF funds for that kind of stuff. Used to be $600 cost shares in the past.

I would use 5 foot tubes or cages for the oaks...with matting. Apple, pear, plum, would be a nice addition as well.

Not sure on the cost share part, but I've ordered seed from Seedsavers.org out of Decorah. They aren't cheap, but the seed is really good stuff. I planted big/little blue stem grasses along with their pollinator blends in an acre spot last year. I'm a beekeeper (side hobby) and wanted some flowers that had staggered bloom cycles coming up. Tons of new and really cool flowers sprouted.

47fae17625892eb62efed2e55e3c1af9.jpg
7cf8aa8d7a899ca3d45a64e84e2cab6f.jpg
57b2c16f65a1f76d69ddd6578da9b539.jpg
3256a08ef9c9a0f1377d7decd7a1be18.jpg
abf3e7879abb675a2c607d94dbdc574e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pollinator mixes can be apples and oranges. I've seen CP42 compliant mixes range in price from $400 to $1,100/acre. Huge variables.

I've been involved with Pheasants Forever for over 20 yrs. and our chapter has planted 1000's of acres of CRP of all kinds. A few years ago we started refusing to plant any seed that wasn't bought through PF's seed program. We ran into some "bargain" seed that landowners were buying and hiring us to drill. We never knew what to expect! Much of it was very dirty with stems and chaff. It is very easy to cut corners on seed, leave out the expensive seed or cut it way back. NRCS knows that the seed thru PF will be good and have in it what the tag says. And the price is always right in the middle. Go to iowapf.net and you can see all the different mixes and prices and order it to be delivered right to your door.

I've been involved with Pheasants Forever for over 20 yrs. and our chapter has planted 1000's of acres of CRP of all kinds. A few years ago we started refusing to plant any seed that wasn't bought through PF's seed program. We ran into some "bargain" seed that landowners were buying and hiring us to drill. We never knew what to expect! Much of it was very dirty with stems and chaff. It is very easy to cut corners on seed, leave out the expensive seed or cut it way back. NRCS knows that the seed thru PF will be good and have in it what the tag says. And the price is always right in the middle. Go to iowapf.net and you can see all the different mixes and prices and order it to be delivered right to your door.
Thanks. I will be checking it out

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Like Sligh said, REAP or EQIP. The enrollment process for REAP was typically much easier, faster, etc. back when I was involved. The DNR also has (or maybe had?) a program called Prairie Partners that cost shared native plantings. You would have to contact one of the Private Land Biologists to confirm.

I will also echo what others have said about quality of seed and mixes. Many of the "bargain" mixes contain introduced species like alfalfa, clover, etc. There is certainly a time and place for those species pertaining to wildlife and habitat but I very firmly believe that they do not belong in a native grass and forb planting.

I would also advise, if at all possible, to no-till RR or Liberty Ready beans for a year to both reduce weed competition and prep your seedbed. I know you said you've been spraying, and that certainly helps, but if the annuals went to seed even once, that amounts to immense weed pressure. At a bare minimum, switch to a non-selective herbicide with no residual effect the growing season before you plant your natives. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom