Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Making deer tags good for any season, or how to get more than one buck tag HF218

If people want to drive deer I have no problem with it on ground they have permission. If you want to shoot a deer I think you should have all your own tag to do so. Pretty simple

Curious why that matters to so many? Why should anybody care who shoots the deer? If a group of 20 guys/gals has 20 tags and fills them all, why does it matter to anybody other than the said group who shoots the deer? 20 deer tags bought by 20 different people filled in 20 different ways still calculates to 20 dead deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am curious why we are debating party hunting here. It has pretty much nothing to do with this bill.

Curious why that matters to so many? Why should anybody care who shoots the deer? If a group of 20 guys/gals has 20 tags and fills them all, why does it matter to anybody other than the said group who shoots the deer? 20 deer tags bought by 20 different people filled in 20 different ways still calculates to 20 dead deer?

Anyway you cut it still kills 20 deer, but people continue to hate on party hunting because thats not what they do on their farm.

Keep in mind that party hunting allows hunters to continue hunting even after their tag is filled. If a group of 20 fills 19 tags the whole group can still continue hunting as long as there is an unfilled tag in the grouo.

If you eliminate party hunting it will no longer be legal to be in the field hunting without an unfilled tag in your own name in your possession. As tags are filled groups will shrink in size and obviously the size and number of deer drives will also.
Pretty simple in the majority of the counties of Iowa for members of the group to all buy a doe tag which could keep all members of the group hunting

I dont get why everyone thinks we need to accomodate for something . In the 90s and early 2000s we had awesome deer numbers and trophy class, why change it ? Now we got straightwalls , next we will have tags for every season for landowners , crossbows in archery season, and eventually rifles. Every year we think we need to accommodate for some other group/ age class / firearm rule and pretty soon we might as well have rifles. Its getting ridiculous and people are getting soft. Bunch of democratic hunters want to change everything. If its not broke dont fix it . I think we should go backwards - no optics on guns , real smoke muzzleloaders and back to pump only shotguns .

Last edited:
Subcommittee info:

Terry Baxter District 8 (Hancock, Wright and parts of Kossuth Counties) Email: Terry.Baxter@legis.iowa.govLegislative page https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=13796

Anne Osmundson District 56 (Allamakee and most of Clayton County) Email: Anne.Osmundson@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27029

Mark Smith District 71 (Marshalltown and northeast Marshall County) Email: mark.smith@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=64

The subcommittee meeting is 2/21 at 1230.

The law is abused and exploited more than any I know of. Tons of examples to point to. That's the issue.

I am curious why we are debating party hunting here. It has pretty much nothing to do with this bill.

No need to be curious about that, just go back up and reread through all the post slowly and you will find the transition and how we got here. Let me know if you need any further help and I will do my best.

Reactions: arm
response I got from the originator of this bill.

As for HF218 I will not be advancing that bill so you don’t need to worry about that. The language was not correct.

So did this one fail?

Well, it is still out there. No new sub meeting date has been set. It may not make the funnel next Thursday but we still need to be vigilant not only for this session but for next years as well.

Edited to add NOT. There has not been a date set for a subcommittee meeting.

Edit #2, I had it right the first time.

Last edited:
Who’s pushing this? We can shoot more deer in Iowa than just about anywhere. Are people too cheap to pony up another $15 for another tag in a different season? With a decrease in license sales we need more sales, not less.

After my email conversations with him I wanted to throw my computer across the room and call everyone person and every family member I have in his area and tell them to vote democrat next election. :mad::mad::mad:

• Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: add
Show…
Pump? I started deer hunting with a single shot 12.

I was 12 years old dad carried a mineral lick tub for me to throw upside down on deer drives so I had something to rest on and shoot. I shot 3 deer and every slug wallopped the hell out of me. No straight walls back then , Im still here....

Top Bottom